A Bug's Defeat

B U G
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The two greatest surprise in my life so far, happened after that same stage. Wait a minute...maybe it was so many more than just two. Would I ever be able to forget this stage? Honestly, I don't know, it all still felt unreal.

 

The first one came right after our stage. In the form of loud screaming and standing ovation from a great portion of our audience. It was so surprising, so startling...just...unbelievable.  What just happened? This was something I would never even dare to dream of experiencing. Although later on, after the chaos inside my head had calmed down a little, only I was able to notice that the massive response we received was largely brought upon single handedly by Sung Wook hyung's one of a kind dance. I was worried that the audience and our friends would take that moment to make fun of him, but I guess, I worried for nothing afterall.

 

After our stage, even when I walked past some of the audience members later on, I could hear them whispering amongst themselves, and from what I grasped, it sounded like they were talking about me, being in 'that' team. Somehow, to be talked about and noticed, made me felt good.

 

But the other surprise came not too long after.

 

"Yah, what do you mean that spider boy the only one who did awesome in that Monster group? Our JJCC oppas carried the performance. They couldn't have done that good without Sancheong oppa's charisma, and Yul oppa's visual just shined."

 

"Which nugus are you talking about huh?"

 

"Shut up! It's JJCC! They're not just any nugus!"

 

"Seriously nugus. Unknown. See that little kid...Lee Woojin? Even he's more popular than your oppas. Of course my Daniel oppa is the best. But that spider guy is cute too, and funny...Sung Wookie oppa..."

 

The girl in yellow hooded jacket only cried as the other girl simply walked away. It's weird that our audience knew our names when we're just students here, though maybe it's because those are kids popular enough to have followers who attend our monthly concerts regularly.

 

But...JJCC? Wasn't that...the name our stylist noona just now mentioned before we got on stage? And their names were...Sancheong and...Yul? But we only have...Gyu Min hyung, Joong Ji hyung, Ha Don hyung, Chan Yul...

 

 

"Sancheong hyung!" I called out aloud even though my throat felt like it was blocked.

 

Inside the waiting room we shared with three other teams, my team mates were seated together and the hyungs looked relaxed and were even smiling and joking around with each other for the first time. I guess, we were all happy to have gotten great response from the audience that we weren't even expecting. It was a relief and with each step I took, inside my mind, I could still hear the cheering and screaming for us chanted. Each step still felt like I was floating on clouds.

 

So, that was how it felt.

 

But after overhearing the conversation of the few girls in our audience, curiosity got the better of me. And that's how I ended up ruining everyone's good mood with the name I just called.

 

Gyu Min hyung didn't even look my way, Joong Ji hyung had a confused look on his face, Chan Yul hyung looked terrified.

 

"What?"

 

So it really was him.

 

"Yul...hyung?"

 

Chan Yul hyung grimaced with his eyes shut.

 

"Yong Jin-ah, what are you calling just now? San-who?"

 

Ha Don hyung glared towards Gyu Min hyung, but it didn't seem like Gyu Min hyung even noticed it.

 

"Hyung, they're JJCC!"

 

"What? Who?"

 

"I'm...hungry...aren't you all? Hey, where's Sung Wookie? Where did he went to?" Chan Yul hyung spewed out a slew of questions, but none of the other hyungs paid him attention, even as his gaze briskly shifted between Ha Don hyung and Gyu Min hyung. How couldn't I have noticed earlier that they were debuted idols - Ha Don hyung and Chan Yul hyung?

 

"JC? What's that? Like...Jay Z...or Jackie Chan? Or could it be...related to that rapper Jessie? "

 

Gyu Min hyung's obliviousness made me flinched at the thought of the consequence of it or how it would affect Ha Don hyung and Chan Yul hyung. 

 

"Yeah, we're some nugus, had fun? That's great."

 

And Ha Don hyung simply walked out of the room in heavy steps - each one reverberated in my ears, without sparing as much as one more look to us. It looked like I had done a grave, careless mistake this time thanks to my ignorance.

 

"I'm...I'm so sorry Chan Yul hyung." I bowed as low as I could.

 

"No...no...don't. I'm sorry for..." He tried to pull me up again.

 

"Wait...what's really happening? I don't get it?"

 

"Oh...you're idols."

 

I looked up again and Joong Ji hyung had shown his phone to Gyu Min hyung as both of them marveled at whatever they were watching. I could hear a faint familiar melody from here. And Chan Yul hyung shuffled in his spot, looking around but shifted his gaze everytime it seemed like his eyes would be met with anyone else's in the room, even though students from other teams didn't even seem to bother us, all busy with their own business and concerns. It's the busiest day of the month after all, the day when everyone would be running around, tensions run high, emotions spill out, all for that one chance to go up another step on the ladder, because we only have one day every month to get that chance. And we don't even know, until when we will be given such opportunity.

 

"So...Chan Yul ssi..."

 

"Kids, the performances have all ended. Get ready to gather at the square for the results announcement. Now."

 

The interruption brought a surge of a different, frenzier kind of energy inside the room, and even outside.

 

"I...I'm going to get Ha Don back here." Chan Yul hyung ran out of the room, almost knocking over the huge flower vase near the entrance. It's a relief the catastrophe did not happen.

 

"Where's Sung Wook ssi?"

 

At the mention of his name, Sung Wook hyung just came sauntering in with his usual unimpressed, poker face, and wordlessly motioned for us to make our way to the assembly ground for result announcement, where the audience will also gather.

 

"Let's go."

 

I trailed behind Gyu Min hyung, alongside Joong Ji hyung. We were just having an unusually good day, with our performance receiving unexpected encouraging response, and then learning that we actually had actual celebrities in our team unknowingly. But it all spiralled downwards as quickly as how the unexpected fortune rolled in. I guess, sometimes you just can't go against your fate. There's a reason your fate is yours and not someone else's. I could only hope things wouldn't get worse. And I hoped Ha Don hyung and Chan Yul hyung would be alright.

 

"Students of Mnet's 101 Boys Performing Arts Academy, and our great audience, as the theme today was 'surprise', and we had been entertained by various surprising performances, I also have a surprise to be announced. But first, I will announce the ranking of performances today."

 

Groans could be heard intertwined with cheers from the students as well as from the audience.

 

"Hi, did we...missed anything?" Chan Yul hyung asked sheepishly as he and Ha Don hyung arrived back. Ha Don hyung still kept his eyes averted.

 

"N...no." Realizing that they're celebrities with albums, music videos and even the experiences of performing at music shows like Music Bank, Music Core and many more, made me feel hard to breathe suddenly and the stutter naturally came out. It's hard to believe we had just performed on the same stage with actual idols. Wasn't that the best thing ever?!

 

Gyu Min hyung who had been standing in front of us turned and faced us upon hearing Ha Don hyung and Chan Yul hyung were back. 

 

"Look, just now...I'm sorry. I didn't..."

 

Before he could finish, another surprise happened, that made even Ha Don hyung's mouth gaped open. A tomato hit and splashed on Gyu Min hyung's face. Next, an egg landed on his silky black shirt that he wore for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter