001

of felines and a series of mismatched encounters

Warning: lots of divaboo and some cat-themed innuendos ahead.

It was Monday, and Mingyu had heard about the new transferee in the department; his was relatively small in comparison with other departments in the campus. He guessed no one is really interested in classical music these days. Most of his friends are in modern music, while a good bunch of them chose to major in contemporary dancing. None of his friends actually thought that he would chose classical too, but that’s just Mingyu. He doesn’t like fast paces and would actually delve in his own.

Not being in the same department as any of his friends also meant solo lunch as their department buildings are considerably far from each other. Mingyu didn’t really mind; eating alone is fine by him.

Until he saw another student sitting at his usual spot under a huge tree by the open field next to general performing arts building. Mingyu doesn’t get mad; it’s too tiring to get mad really but he was a bit ticked off at the fact that he doesn’t get to spend his lunch alone nicely like he usually does.

The first thing he noticed about the guy sitting at his spot is his lip curls and Mingyu shivered. It reminded him of a particular domesticated Norwegian Forest cat at the cat café where he works. The one who always hiss at him no matter what. Mingyu could just be passing by and the feline would show her fangs at him. What for, he didn’t understand. Mingyu wasn’t a territorial guy was he?

He snapped out of his thoughts when the stranger looked up at him, surprised.

“Oh I’m sorry am I perhaps stealing your spot?”

His voice was soft; nothing like what the Norwegian Forest cat sounded like, Mingyu noted.

“Uh, no. Actually, I’ll just sit here instead,” Mingyu didn’t bother giving the guy a second look as he immediately dumped his bag on the other side of the tree. He didn’t want to dwell on the sweet voice or the soft eyes, and neither did he want to pay attention to the slight foreign accent coming from the guy.

 

 

Wonwoo was still sick, Mingyu noted as he entered the café later that afternoon. He greeted Hoshi on his way to the changing room and proceeded to store all of his belongings in his locker before changing into a clean white shirt and faded grey pants. After tying his pastel blue apron around his waist and tucking a new hand towel in his pants back pocket, he rolled his sleeve just right under the elbows. Wonwoo had once told him he suited the look and that he’s going to attract lots of customers, even if he could scare them away for handling the cats too rough.

“Hey Hoshi-hyung. You can go feed the cats and I’ll take over the bar,” he smiled at Hoshi and received a pat on the back in return. Mingyu was working his usual 5.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m. shift that day.

“Yeah thanks Mingyu! Sitting behind the counter all the time seriously could give me a broken back one day.”

Mingyu smiled again at the older. Hoshi was loud and playful, but it was nothing he couldn’t tolerate. In fact, Mingyu thinks that it’s nice he’s able to get to know someone as positive as Hoshi. Sometimes he get induced by the positivity and his work became more efficient and his coffee made with higher quality of skills. That is, if their other noisy part-timer Boo Seungkwan wasn’t around. Seungkwan is in his last year of high school, and although comparatively he is as bright as Hoshi could be, Seungkwan brings another kind of bright vibe.

Something along the lines of nosy and lots of complaining, but Mingyu literally got nothing to complain. These are among the people that helps him survive daily, especially with the hostility from the cats that ironically should be thanking him instead for taking such good care of them.

Mingyu sighed.

It was nearing 7.00 p.m. and the sky outside was a mix of purple and yellow, and definitely bordering dark blue as night descended. The doorbell chimed and Mingyu instantaneously looked up and was about to greet the customer as usual, until he saw the familiar lip curls and – Oh, it’s Mr. Norwegian Forest sat-at-my-spot guy.

Mingyu almost stuttered, and he didn’t start talking properly until Hoshi accidentally bumped into the counter behind him; waking Mingyu up from his momentary transfixion.

“Hi, welcome to 17 Carat! What would you like to order, sir?” Mingyu managed to offer.

Lucky for him, he wasn’t the only one flustered by their second untimed encounter. The other guy opened his mouth slightly and took a slight breath as their eyes met and Mingyu had to mentally resist himself from falling over because the other guy seriously looked like the Norwegian Forest, even when opening their mouths.

“Uh, ah yeah. I’d like a venti café latte with double milk please,” the guy spoke, soft.

“Right away. That’d be 10,000 wons please,” Mingyu input the order into the register, swift. The other guy handed him a single 10,000 won bill and Mingyu received it with careful fingers. He didn’t need another awkward moment with the guy. Well, at least he tried to avoid it anyway but apparently the other guy didn’t get the memo.

“You’re that guy from lunch just now right?”

Cool. Now someone’s gonna spread the word that Kim Mingyu works at pastel cat café.

He was about to lie and cover up with a practiced working smile but the other beat him to it.

“I’m Joshua,” he offered a hand and one of the most captivating tiny smile Mingyu had ever witnessed in his whole life; if he was honest.

But apparently, honesty wasn’t really the department in which Mingyu specializes in, so he just nodded awkwardly and bit his bottom lip in an attempt to show his disinterest. He received the guy’s –now Joshua’s- hand and they probably shook hand for about two seconds before Mingyu pulled his hand away in fear that Joshua was going to notice nervous sweat breaking on his skin.

What Mingyu was even nervous about, he didn’t know.

“Kim Mingyu. You’re that new guy in classical right?” Mingyu moved over to the machines to start preparing order while Joshua moved to a bar stool to sit while waiting for his coffee.

“Uhm, yeah.” Joshua answered, short. They both didn’t continue talking until Mingyu was finished with the order. After collecting his coffee, Joshua moved to the cats’ open area where café visitors are allowed to step in and just basically cuddle with the cats. Mingyu stayed behind the counter, not really wanting to tend to Joshua (considering his unusual nervous breakdown state) and hoped that Hoshi would get the message and do it instead.

Fortunately for him, Hoshi did move and stayed by Joshua’s side to assist him for anything since he’s a new customer.

Mingyu almost let out an audible sharp gasp when the first cat Joshua decided to hold was the exact Norwegian Forest cat that Mingyu had secretly referred to him as.

“You’re staring, doofus,” a voice broke out from beside him and Mingyu screamed.

“Ahhhhhh!”

Which caused another awkward staring to ensue. Joshua and Hoshi immediately looked over in his direction and the cat that was on Joshua’s lap jumped away. Mingyu’s heart flinched when he saw the subtle crestfallen look on Joshua’s face as he watched the fluffy cat walked away.

“Uh, sorry guys Mingyu just had some concentration issues,” the boy that was the cause of the scream just smiled and waved beside Mingyu. Joshua let out a small smile in return and Hoshi just told him it’s okay before turning around again towards the cats.

“What the hell Seungkwan you’re not on shift until Thursday and it is Monday idiot!” Mingyu wanted to slap the back of Seungkwan but prevented himself from doing so in fear of catching the attention of Joshua once again.

“Well in case you’re not fully aware yet, Mr. Genius, Wonwoo hyung is still sick and someone’s gotta fill in his shift. Junhui hyung has classes so that leaves the job to me. Also, there’s really no need for you to scream okay I got in through the front door and if you weren’t so fixated on Mr. Cat over there you’d actually greet me instead,” Seungkwan retorted and Mingyu rolled his eyes.

“Shut up and just stay away from me please. I could actually talk to Jeonghan hyung and have your shift reduced and your pay cut,” Mingyu threatened.

“No need to be childish now do we? Besides, everybody knows the manager actually favors me over you big time and it’s not my fault you’re in heat. I know we’re working in a cat infested environment but you don’t have to assimilate their behaviors into yours you know?” Seungkwan raised one eyebrow and pulled on his smug face.

What the hell?” Mingyu almost screamed at Seungkwan’s choices of words.

“Well, I don’t know who Mr. Cat over there is, but he seemed new and yet you already look like you’re going to pounce on him. Customers are off limits Mingyu hyung so you might wanna look at other places instead.”

“He’s my classmate-“

Mingyu clenched his fists.

“-You little .”

Seungkwan just proceeded to have the laugh of his life.

 


Yeay at Joshua x Mingyu's awkward encounters and divaboo making his grand entrance.

I'd love feedback guys thanks! Hope you guys have a great day ahead!