the final frontier

Boldly Going

 

Hanbin was twenty years old when he enlisted in the fleet. It all started when he got into a fight in a bar with some Starfleet cadets and the next thing he knows was someone going by “Captain Kwon Jiyong” was giving him a speech about responsibility, destiny and things that seriously did not interest him at all. His entire face was a bloody mess, he had a broken tooth a possible concussion and maybe a broken rib and yet this guy was acting all high and mighty when he should be taking him to the hospital, after all it was his cadets who did that to him.

And honestly he didn’t need anyone to tell him about all of that. He knew all about it, how could he forget his family’ story? His dad, a complete coward, had encountered a Klingon ship in deep space and had decided he was too much of a chicken to protect his ship and crew, so he ran away in a vessel and they never found him.

At least that is the version his mother and the rest of the world would always tell him. She was also in the ship when it happened, pregnant with their second child, when the love of her life abandoned her. Since that day, the sweet and lovely mother Hanbin remembers ceased to exist. Most of the time she was home she would be angry and bitter.

She went back to space every chance she got, she said it was to “clean the name of the family” so he ended up raising his sister until his mother eventually became tired of it and decided to retire from the fleet.  However, it didn’t matter how many planets his mother helped or how many lives she saved, she was always overshadowed by the actions of her husband. And Hanbin was always followed and shamed for the actions of his father.

“You are not your father, kid”, captain Kwon had told him while Hanbin was holding a pack of ice to his face. “You can do better, I have seen your grades in school and you are smart, you can graduate in four years and have your own ship in eight.”

Hanbin chuckled at that. “Yeah? Well I don’t think half of Starfleet would want that.”

Captain Kwon had looked at him and said “and does that matter? You won’t get anywhere thinking like that…your father…what he did was wrong but I dare you to do better.” 

After the quick chat, Kwon said he had to go back to his quarters but gave him his number in case he changed his mind. 

Hanbin thought about it all week, about leaving his family and going to a place where people would look at him and only see the image of a coward.

Suddenly he had a thought about his sister, Hanbyul. All his life people would talk behind his back and bully him, his mother never lifted a finger to try to help him and he was sure Hanbyul would probably suffer from the same fate.

So a week later after the bar fight he made his choice.

.

 

“How did your physics test go?”

“Fantastic, Professor Lee loves me, says he will invite me to one of his fancy parties soon.”

“So you can proceed to, how humans say, kiss his ?”

Hanbin gave him a wholehearted laugh at that. He loved hanging out with Junhoe, he was half Vulcan and half-human but growing up in Earth most of his life had given him a very human attitude.

The two had meet in a shuttle in their way to the academy. Hanbin sat down next to him and Junhoe warned him about how he may or may not end up throwing up on him…, which he ended up doing due to his extreme and illogical fear of heights.

“How are you enlisting to a space fleet when you are afraid of heights?” Hanbin had promptly asked him while wiping off the vomit in his boots.

Junhoe stared at him dead in the eyes and replied “I think, as how humans say, that is none of your damn business”

From that moment, Hanbin knew they were going to be good friends.

“You should know that is half the work here… go around a little and kiss some , get to know some of the higher ups and whatnot”

“Illogical, your peers should acknowledge you by recognizing your abilities in the field and intelligence”

“Hate to break it to you but the world is not a very logical place Junhoe”

“Don’t I know it”, Junhoe said while sighing.  “I guess you still have three more years to go around and…kiss some ”

“Hey it’s not like everyone’s father can be an important ambassador”

Junhoe rolled his eyes, a very human reaction Hanbin thinks, at the comment.

“I have never used that against you or in my favor and you know it”

“I know, I just love pissing you off” Junhoe could not help but roll his eyes again.

.

 

When people find out what Hanbin does for a living they most of the time would ask him, “So you live in space? Is not that a little uncomfortable?” but in reality it really isn’t, he had grew accustomed to it and It inevitably became a part of his life.

In fact, right now he was comfortably sleeping in his quarters when his badge chirped.

“Captain you there?”

He groaned, he did love his job but it was times like this when he thought about how he could be resting in his house in the countryside if he hadn’t enlisted…or maybe out from drinking but he doesn’t dwell into it that much.

“Sure Ensign Jung, what’s the matter?

“Captain we are picking a distress call from a Klingon ship”, if he wasn’t awake 10 seconds ago he was now. “You should come to the bridge and see this.”

.

“ple….ple-e-ase…..h-h-elp u-u-s” Chanwoo had played the distress call again and again, the only thing they could hear was a desperate voice calling for help

“Why are we getting a distress call from a Klingon ship from all things, Commander Koo?”

“It seems illogical as Klingons tend to not meddle with Starfleet at all”

“Ensign Jung” Hanbin looked at the youngest member of the crew “ask them what the matter is”

“Yes sir”

Hanbin knew better than to think this was just a distress call, tensions between the fleet and Klingons have been increasing over the years, and they had direct instructions not to interfere with Klingons at all.

Starfleet was a peacekeeping force; the principal mission of the USS IKON was that of exploring space and being ambassadors from planet earth. They were not here to start a war and that is the last thing Hanbin wants to do.

So what do the Klingons want? Was this a trap to try to instigate a war between them? On the other hand, maybe they really are in trouble and need assistance even from their worst enemies.

“Captain they are not answering” Ensign Jung told him with a hint of fear in his voice

In the best-case scenario, they aide the Klingon ship and help to establish a diplomatic relation between the fleet and them.

Hanbin guesses that maybe this is finally his chance to correct the actions of his father.

In addition, as weird as it seems he feels like he needs to go there, something calls him to it.

“Lieutenant Song, find the coordinates of the ship and set curse to it” 

“Captain, I strongly advise you to think about this,” Junhoe said cautiously “you don’t know why they are calling, this easily can be a plot to be used against the fleet and our ship”

“Commander Koo, we don’t know what they want. As far as we know they might need our help” he turned to his helmsman “Lieutenant Song please set course to the Klingon ship”

Yunhyeong looked between his Captain and Commander Koo and gulped, he could hear his heart beating against his chest while he set the course towards the Klingons.

They all were rookies and this was the first time something like this happened, most of their missions were easy and not so dangerous stuff unlike the situation they were dealing with now.

“Captain, may I remind you how clear the directive was when they told us not to interfere with Klingons?” Junhoe looked mad, as mad as a Vulcan can look. “If we go there we will be disobeying direct orders”

“We’ll take the chance…Commander Koo trust my instinct, I don’t think this is a trap at all, why would they not answer? If they really wanted to attack the fleet, they would without the need of a trap”

“Or perhaps they just need an excuse, they said we threatened them and therefore they had no choice but to attack”, Commander Koo tried to reason with Hanbin, feeling dreadful about the situation. Fear, he thinks, is a very human and useless emotion.

“Captain Kim, we’ve arrived”

Both turned to see the ship in front of them. It was indeed a Klingon vessel. Hanbin had never seen one in person but he had studied them, he immediately recognized it as vessel typically used to transport cargo.

“Ensign Jung, are they still not responding?”

“Negative sir I tried hailing them but they don’t reply”

“Correct, Ensign Jung prepare to beam me down to the Klingon ship”

“You are out of your mind! You want to kill yourself” the Vulcan yelled “how can you do this? If you die then what will happen to your crew!

“Trust me Jun nothing is going to happen I can feel it, someone needs me there”

Junhoe looked completely exasperated by the situation, the entire bridge was looking at the two fight, it is not like they never do but it never came to the point where the commander is seconds away from throwing punches and seeing their commander lose his composure was such a weird sight.

“Do whatever you want.” The response was final.

“Commander, if something happens you have my order to immediately leave and notify the fleet about it”

The commander nodded and watched as his captain left for the transporter room.

.

“Do it, Chanwoo.”

“Hyung, take care.”

.

 

Hanbin had never seen in a Klingon ship in real life let alone being inside of one.

The transportation room was dark and there was no one in it. He took his phaser out and set it to stun. 

He carefully walked in the corridors of the ship. It was all dark; he could hardly see his surroundings.

He suddenly felt like he stepped into something soft, he lowered his head and saw a Klingon laying down in the floor; he stepped back and tripped with what appeared to be another Klingon he looked around and saw more. All of them were one the floor. They looked like someone had knocked them out. He suddenly felt more nervous, who could have done this? Who could have knocked an entire crew of Klingons down?

He got up and walked carefully trying not to wake any of them up; he needed to find the bridge to see who had sent the distress call.

Suddenly he heard hushed voices and cries.

He walked towards them using the sound as guide.

As he walked, he saw lighting, as he went forward he noticed the light grew stronger and as soon as he knew it, he was standing in the bridge of the vessel and right at the helm were two very human looking boys.  

One was small and he looked scared, his face covered in tears and the other one was taller and he looked fearless while holding what appeared to be a Klingon knife.

Hanbin carefully began to go towards them “Hello, I am Captain Kim Hanbin from the USS IKON”

However, when the taller one saw his phaser he ran towards him. The next thing he knows was that the boy had stabbed him in the chest.   

 


 

so thats the first chapter, please leave your opinions in the comment section. 

it is my first time writing a ff, specially one about iKON.

again im sorry if there are mistakes, my english is not perfect as you can see.