Chapter 7: What Should I Do?

I Should Watch Where I'm Going

Monday. Donghae was walking in the school's hallway, a bag on his shoulder. He was humming a little to a song he had been singing the previous day. He enjoyed music a lot, and he loved to sing and dance. He only did those things by himself though, since he would have been too embarrased if someone saw him expressing himself like that. He was lost in his thoughts, playing over a choregraphy in his head that he had been practising lately, until someone bumped into him with force. He yelped, and fell backwards, hitting the floor. Ow! 

"Oh my God I'm so sorry I should watch where I'm going I'm so clumsy I'm so sorry!!" He heard a voice ramble in panic. When Donghae looked up to see the person who was at fault, he froze. It was Hyukjae. The gorgeous blonde boy. His crush. The small voice inside his head started screaming in panic. What should he do???

"Oh my God! Did you get hurt?? Are you okay?? Here, I'll help you up!" Hyukjae offered his hand down for Donghae to grab. The screaming inside of Donghae's head intensified. He had totally frozen and he was just staring at Hyukjae in disbelief. How could something like this even be possible??

"I'm really sorry, please let me help you" Hyukjae said, still offering his hand. Donghae tried his best to get himself together and with a just a little bit shaking hand he grabbed on to Hyukjae's, and the blonde helped Donghae stand up again. Donghae blushed at the contact of their hands. He still couldn't believe this was really happening. To his disappointment Hyukjae let go of his hand, but only to get Donghae's bag from the floor where it had fallen to and gave it back to him. Donghae nodded to him as a thank you, since his head was buzzing too loud, preventing him from forming a coherent thought, not to mention a sentence. Hyukjae looked really embarrassed and ran his fingers through his blonde, fluffy hair, smiling awkwardly. 

"I already said this but honestly I'm so sorry for bumping into you like that. I didn't mean to make you fall down, I'm sorry. My name is Hyukjae by the way, in case that you might not know me" Hyukjae rambled. Oh, you'd be surprised how well I know you, Donghae thought to himself. He tried his hardest to form an actual sentence.

"I- it's okay.. my.. my name is Donghae, and I actually.. uh.. do know who you are.. we're the same age.." he stuttered and cursed himself right after in his head. Why must he embarrass himself in front of Hyukjae like this?? But for his surprise Hyukjae didn't seem to mind at all. He just smiled a friendly, wide smile. 

"Oh right! Donghae! I'm sorry I didn't recognize you right away, of course I have seen you around since we have had some subjects together. Aren't you a friend of Sungmin's? He borrowed my Chemistry notes the other day you see, and now that I think of it I think I've seen you hanging out together.. Sorry for forgetting that for a moment! My bad, my memory isn't all that good.." he said, smiling a little bit embarrassed. Donghae smiled a small smile too. Hyukjae said his name! And he said that he had noticed him before! He looked at the other boy, his dazzling hair, glowing smile and sparkling, dark brown eyes. He could feel his heart speeding up its pace every time Hyukjae smiled at him, and he could feel his cheeks heating up. Damn, he was beautiful. His thoughts were interrupted when Hyukjae said:

"Hey, it was really nice meeting you, I mean apart from you falling down, that wasn't that nice, but it was nice to chat, but anyway now I gotta run or else I'm gonna be late! See you around!"

He smiled, waved, and started running to his class. Donghae was just left staring after him, and a goofy smile started to rise up on his lips. He grinned and bit his lip a little bit to stop himself from looking silly. After a few seconds of staring where Hyukjae had ran off to, he turned around and continued his way to his next class. He continued humming the song he had previously, but now with a lot more gleeful tone. His morning had started in the most magnificent way imaginable. 


~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆

Sungmin was at a history lesson, but his mind was at a totally different place. He couldn't stop thinking about last Saturday, the one he had spent together with Kyuhyun. He couldn't believe Kyuhyun had remembered that he liked bunnies! Sungmin found that really sweet, and he couldn't believe that in addition to Kyuhyun remembering the fact, he had also taken him to see some actual bunnies! Kyuhyun was really something.

Sungmin started wondering, if the feelings between him and Kyuhyun were platonic, or something more serious. He furrowed his brows and pouted a little. He also wondered, if the feelings were mutual. Did Kyuhyun think about Sungmin as much as he thought of Kyuhyun? He pouted some more. But, he couldn't shake off the thought of the adorable sight of the suddenly shy Kyuhyun, asking him if he wanted to meet up again. A small smile made its way onto his lips. He decided that it was too early to worry about such things. If something were to happen, it would. Now he would just have to wait and see. He wondered, if Kyuhyun would take him somewhere again the next time they would meet up. He's still pretty unpredictable since Sungmin hasn't known him for that long, so he couldn't really say yet. Kyuhyun had texted him on Sunday though, asking how he's doing and all that jazz. In a way Sungmin wanted to have some longer conversations with him, that would have some more depth so he could know Kyuhyun better, but he didn't know how to start such conversations. A tiny little sigh escaped his lips. Why must it be so difficult to deal with people? Why was everything so complicated?

He dwelled in his thoughts until the ringing of the school bell ripped him straight back to reality. He had just ignored a whole class of history. Oh well. He packed up his stuff and headed out of the class.

He started walking towards the cafeteria to eat lunch together with his friends, as they did every day. When he was walking, suddenly someone almost tackled him from behind. Ack!!! He would have fallen if the person attacking him didn't hold on to him as tight as they did.
"SUNGMIN!!" A familiar voice squaled. Sungmin got himself free from the grip and turned around to see his friend Donghae, smiling from ear to ear at him.

"Donghae? What's got you in such a good mood?" Sungmin asked his friend, smiling a little himself because of Donghae's infectious grin. Donghae looked like he couldn't be silent about the reason for his good mood any longer, but still he said:

"I can't tell you yet, let's wait for Wookie so I'll tell you both!" Donghae seemed so excited, it must be something amazing! They waited for their friend Ryeowook at the front doors of the cafeteria, and soon he appeared from behind the corner, and started smiling and waved after spotting his friends. He walked up to them, and they entered the cafeteria together. They got their lunches and sat at a table together, and Donghae looked like he could explode any minute now. Sungmin raised his eyebrows at him, encouraging him to speak. Donghae swallowed, and started fidgeting with his hands nervously.

"So.. uh..I have something to tell you guys.."
Then he started telling his friends everything that had happened with Hyukjae. Including the fact of Hyukjae mentioning he remembered Donghae because of Sungmin borrowing his notes, even though he was a little hesitant to admit it. He had been so shocked when Sungmin had told him about his plan, but it seems it wasn't that bad of an idea after all.

Sungmin could barely control the pride he was feeling from rising on his face. His idea had been successful!! Well, kind of at least. He grinned.

"I'm happy for you, Hae!" he said, "I hope you'll get to hang out with him more."
Donghae blushed.

"Isn't.. isn't it a l-little early to talk about hanging out..? I mean.. We only formally met today.." Donghae stuttered. Sungmin and Ryewook smiled.

"I bet you'd get along great as friends, and who knows where you could end up from being just friends..." Ryeowook assured Donghae, and smiled mischievously at the end of his sentence. Donghae turned pale at first and then he started to turn bright red and buried his face in his hands, but there could be seen a little smile on his lips. Sungmin laughed and Ryeowook grinned. They wished all would go well with Donghae and Hyukjae, since they knew he was pretty sensitive and also a kind person, who could get his heart broken easily. A tiny worry for their friend started to rise its head in their minds. They would not stand their friend getting hurt.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

Sungmin walked in the school's long hallway, on his way to the doors since it was time to go home. Suddenly he heard the sound of someone running, and a voice shouting after him.

"SUNGMINNIE!! Wait!!" Sungmin froze.
Did he just hear the nickname? He turned around slowly and who else could he have seen running towards him, but Kyuhyun. Of course. No one else uses that nickname. Kyuhyun came to a halt in front of Sungmin, gasping for air. He seemed to have ran a long way in the school's hallways. Sungmin looked at him, wondering what's up. Kyuhyun tried to catch his breath, leaning on his knees with his hands. Soon he stood up again and looked at Sungmin.

"Do you want to go to the movies with me?" He blurted out. Sungmin's eyes widened. Huh??

"W-hat.. Now??" He asked, confused.

"Yeah, if that's okay with you I mean, if you're not busy and if you possibly want to hang out today, with me, I mean.." Kyuhyun started to blabber again. Personally Sungmin found this habit of his kind of adorable. He smiled. Then he made a decision without even thinking about it that much.

"Yeah, I'm not busy, I can go with you." He answered interrupting the still blabbering Kyuhyun, who froze. His eyes widened.

"Really??" He asked, seeming genuinely surprised, as if he was thinking Sungmin would refuse. Sungmin nodded at him.

"Yeah, really."

"Cool! I mean.. uh, cool! Let's go!" Kyuhyun stuttered, and threw his arm around Sungmin's shoulders and they made their way out of the school and towards the city centre and the movie theatre, still in their school uniforms and their bags hanging on their shoulders.

"So.. uh.. w-which movie are you thinking of seeing?" Sungmin asked Kyuhyun, looking up at him. Kyuhyun still had his arm over his shoulders, and the contact made him feel warm inside. Kyuhyun suddenly seemed a little embarrassed.

"Well.. um.. I saw that there's this movie about martial arts like it's an action movie, kind of, and because you like martial arts I thought I should ask you to come with me" he explained, and the corner of his mouth twitched up a little, forming an awkward half smile. Sungmin couldn't believe his ears. Another thing Kyuhyun had remembered of him and then coming up with an activity that includes that interest?? Sungmin started wondering if Kyuhyun was even real after all. What if he had imagined him? He stopped walking, and so did Kyuhyun. He turned to look at Kyuhyun, with a gaze full of curiosity. Kyuhyun looked a bit alarmed.

"W-hat?"

Without thinking about it Sungmin reached out his hand and poked Kyuhyun in the cheek. Kyuhyun looked shocked. Suddenly Sungmin realized what he did, and his eyes widened.

"I!! I'm sorry!" A faint blush rose on his cheeks and he turned his gaze away from Kyuhyun. He didn't see a smirk rising up on Kyuhyun's lips.

"Let's go!" He exclaimed and they continued their way, Kyuhyun dragging an embarrassed Sungmin along with him.

They walked along the streets together, and Kyuhyun let go of Sungmin eventually so it would be easier for them to walk (to Sungmin's disappointment). They, or mostly Kyuhyun, talked about this and that on their way, so the atmosphere wouldn't become awkward. Sungmin didn't mind Kyuhyun talking, he liked listening to him, and he appreaciated his effort of keeping the mood bright. Soon, his thoughts were interrupted when Kyuhyun announced that they had reached their destination. They entered the theatre, and Kyuhyun wanted to buy both of the tickets since he was "the one who dragged Sungmin along", but Sungmin wasn't having it. He insisted on buying his own ticket, and eventually Kyuhyun had to give in. While debating, they didn't notice the cashier's obvious amusement over their exchange.
Couples like this come here all the time, her expression said. Eventually, they made it to their seats with some drinks and popcorn. They only got one bowl of popcorn, since they didn't feel like eating a lot of it alone.

Soon the movie started, and as much as Sungmin enjoyed the movie, he couldn't help catching a glimpse or a few to Kyuhyun's direction every once in a while. He loved to hear his laugh at the funny scenes, and the light of the screen landing on his face made him look incredibly beautiful. Sungmin shook his head a little to get himself together, but he couldn't brush away the thought of their arms touching constantly, since the armrests weren't all that wide. Sungmin closed his eyes in frustration for a few seconds to gain back his focus. Too bad, since for that reason he missed a lingering gaze on him from a certain person sitting next to him, who turned his eyes back on the movie at the exact second Sungmin opened his eyes again. Still in his thoughts, Sungmin reached for the popcorn. He froze when his hand landed in the bowl and on something that was definitely not popcorn. He turned his gaze at his hand at the speed of light, and saw that it had landed straight on Kyuhyun's. Sungmin freaked out and pulled his hand out in panic. His heartbeat had gone wild, and he couldn't hear Kyuhyun's small chuckle over the voice of his own blood rushing in his ears. He let out a tiny little sigh. He really needed to get his act together.

Eventually the rest of the movie went past, and Sungmin was only barely paying any attention to it. As the ending credits started rolling, Kyuhyun nudged him in the arm. When Sungmin moved his gaze from the screen to Kyuhyun, the latter said:

"Shall we go?" Sungmin nodded.
They exited the movie theatre and stepped into the steadily darkening evening. Kyuhyun started stretching his long limbs as soon as they were out of the theatre, since the seats weren't quite planned for people with long legs, and took a deep breath, sighing contently. Sungmin was just standing there, still a little embarrassed about the popcorn incident. Still, he couldn't quite stop staring at Kyuhyun. The taller either didn't notice his staring, or just didn't care. Either way, Sungmin was glad. He was feeling happy for many reasons today, for Donghae for example. But most of those reasons were Kyuhyun, though. Sungmin still couldn't believe Kyuhyun had paid so much attention to him talking about his interests. His thoughts were interrupted when Kyuhyun cleared his throat. Sungmin looked at him, and almost stopped breathing for a second since Kyuhyun looked amazing standing in the spotlight of a street light. Kyuhyun smiled at him and Sungmin wanted to punch himself in the face for feeling like this every single time he was around Kyuhyun.

"Should we get going? Or just stand here all night?" Kyuhyun said, and chuckled.

"wouldn't actually mind staying here to be honest. Not if it's with you." Sungmin thought, but didn't quite dare to say it out loud. Instead he just nodded and walked up to him. They started walking back to the school, and the night was falling around them. It was almost silent, which isn't quite ordinary in the center of the city. A few stars appeared on the sky and Sungmin couldn't help thinking, that the atmosphere was kind of romantic at that moment. Their hands brushed against each other multiple times when they walked, making Sungmin blush. A faint blush could be seen on Kyuhyun's face too, but Sungmin didn't see it for staring at his feet while walking. It could be seen on Kyuhyun's face that he was having an inner conflict of some kind. Then he made a decision, took a sharp breath and acted.
Sungmin's brain froze when he felt a hand slowly but surely grabbing on his. What's this??

He looked down and saw that Kyuhyun had grabbed his hand.

!!!!!

Why would he do that?! He looked up at Kyuhyun, who was trying to look and behave as normally as possible.

"I.. It's cold.." he muttered, not daring to even look at Sungmin. In fact, he seemed to be looking at anything but Sungmin. Sungmin didn't quite understand. It was getting a little chilly, yeah, but still that reasoning for holding his hand didn't make any sense whatsoever. But Sungmin didn't want him to let go either, though. Without saying anything, Kyuhyun just pulled Sungmin's hand into the pocket of his long coat, which he was wearing over his uniform, along with his own hand. Sungmin let it be, but his mind was buzzing. What did all of this mean?

They walked in silence, hand in hand in the warmth of Kyuhyun's pocket, side by side, with a faint blush on both of their faces. After a while they reached the school, which had become the usual point of their separation after their meetings.
Kyuhyun stopped, so Sungmin did too. Sungmin didn't know what he should do.

He didn't dare to look at Kyuhyun, and Kyuhyun seemed to have thought the same. They just stood there for quite some time, facing each other but not really looking at each other. Sungmin's heart was beating fast. Then Kyuhyun coughed a little, clearing his throat, which (finally) got him Sungmin's full attention. Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun, who looked amazing, even more than usual, in the dim light of the moon and the streetlights. Sungmin suddenly found it quite difficult to breath normally. Kyuhyun still didn't look at him directly, being embarrassed and all, which Sungmin found kind of cute. Kyuhyun ran his hand through his hair and took a deep breath, exhaling heavily. After that he grinned a little, both at his own behaviour and the whole situation. Then, he finally looked down at the slightly shorter Sungmin. And he looked at him directly, and not just with a quick glance which he had been doing for the whole evening so far.

Sungmin looked back at him. He felt like he was dreaming. Or like he was in a fairytale. It felt unreal. Just him and Kyuhyun. Holding hands, in the moonlight. Facing each other, and Sungmin couldn't see anything else but Kyuhyun's dark eyes reflecting the light of the thousands of stars in the night sky. Kyuhyun's eyes were captivating, and Sungmin felt himself slowly getting lost in them. The moment was magical. But, like in 'Cinderella', Sungmin's moment of magic wasn't eternal either.

Kyuhyun took their hands out of his pocket, and looked down at them. Just their linked hands in the dim light. A small smile appeared on his lips, but it looked sad. Sungmin wondered, what he was going to do. Kyuhyun looked back at him, and offered him a small smile.

"I.. I had a nice time tonight." He said to Sungmin, pretty quietly, which wasn't really in character for him. Sungmin felt a small fear form itself in his chest. What did all this mean? What was going to happen now?

"I had fun too" he said nevertheless, and smiled at Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun sighed a little and scratched the back of his neck. He wasn't quite sure what to do. Then, he slowly loosened his grip on Sungmin's hand.

"I.. I think I should go now.. It.. It's late and it's dark and I don't want to hold you back here for long" he muttered. Sungmin felt disappointed. He was expecting a little something else. Still, he turned to Kyuhyun with a little smile and took his hand away from the already loose grip of Kyuhyun's.

"Yeah, it's late.. I should go too. I really had fun tonight." Sungmin said.

Kyuhyun had the odd half smile on his face again. He started to back up slowly, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah.. Me too. I really enjoyed it. Go home safely, okay? And.. don't catch a cold."
Kyuhyun said.

"The same goes to you. Be careful on your way back, and don't catch a cold either" Sungmin answered, and watched Kyuhyun nod, wave at him, smile a little and turn around. He started walking away, and Sungmin had a strange feeling in his chest. What did this evening mean for them? Did they just have what other people would call "a date"?

Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun's back getting further away from him. Kyuhyun didn't say it was a date, though, when he asked Sungmin to join him. So, if Kyuhyun didn't actually ask him on a "date" specifically, wouldn't that mean that it wasn't a date? Sungmin pouted. This all was so confusing. If they weren't on a date, why did he hold his hand on their way back?? Sungmin couldn't understand. He wondered for a split second if he should ask Kyuhyun about this, but then he immediately slapped himself mentally. He most definitely couldn't just go and ask him something like that?? No. That wasn't an option.

Sungmin sighed. He too turned around and started to walk home in a slow pace.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

When Kyuhyun had made sure Sungmin couldn't see him anymore, he started running. His mind was such a mess, he tried to drown his thoughts by running so fast that he could only hear his own breathing and heartbeat. He ran and ran as fast as he possibly could until he finally reached his house. He stopped and pulled out his keys, breathing very heavily after running such a long way like that. He opened the door, dropped his bag on the floor and mumbled something to his mom greeting him from the kitchen, and went upstairs to his room. He closed the door and leaned his back against it. Then his legs gave in and he slowly let himself land on the floor. He just sat there, replaying the events of that evening in his head.

Damn. He thought.

Kyuhyun, you're an idiot.

He closed his eyes and covered his face with his hands. He stayed like that for a good few seconds, sighed and rubbed his closed eyes with his fingers. What should he do? He thought of Sungmin and smiled. Sungmin made him smile. He liked the other boy's company, probably way more than Sungmin realized. He sighed again.

What should I do?

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

Sungmin had finally arrived home and changed clothes from his uniform to his home clothes. He was in his room, sitting on his bed and enjoying a nice cup of tea. But, his thoughts were definitely on something, or someone else than himself and his cup of tea. He had his phone on his bed next to him, and he didn't know if he should text Kyuhyun. He furrowed his brows and pouted. He was pulled out of his thoughts by a knock on his door.

"Come in!"

His older brother, Jungsoo, popped his head into the room.

"Hey, what are you doing?" he asked.

"Oh, hi hyung. I'm not doing much" Sungmin answered, gesturing vaguely towards his cup of tea. Jungsoo nodded in understanding, and stepped into the room.

"I came to ask if I could borrow the new book you bought when we were shopping together last time, it seemed interesting." Jungsoo said with a smile. He was wearing his comfy home clothes as well, a loose T-shirt with some baggy shorts and he had tied his hair up with a single hairtie. He didn't really have that long hair, so his hair was basically on a tiny bun that was barely holding itself together. Also, it looked more like a small antenna than a bun.

Sungmin smiled at his brother.

"Sure, hyung! You may borrow it" he said. He got up and reached to his bookshelf to get the book. He gave it to Jungsoo, who smiled. Sungmin sat back down on his bed.

"Thanks! Are you thinking about something currently? You're just sitting here like this" Jungsoo asked, curious. Sungmin didn't know how Jungsoo did it, but he always knew if something bothered his little brother. Sungmin didn't quite know what to answer that question, so he was awkwardly silent. Now Jungsoo was sure something was up.

"Okay, spill it. What's going on?" He asked. Sungmin sighed. How should he explain?

"Um, so.. I have this new.. friend, I met them at school and we have been hanging out together lately. They're so nice and kind and they remember my interests insanely well, like you couldn't believe it if you saw it. So, tonight we went to the movies, and um.. on the way back they... uh... kinda..." Sungmin started explaining the situation but then started stuttering.

"They kinda WHAT, Sungmin?? C'mon! Tell me" Jungsoo said, getting impatient.

Sungmin felt a little blush creeping on his face.

"They.. uh.. kinda.. held my hand.. on our way back home..." Sungmin mumbled, avoiding Jungsoo's gaze. Jungsoo looked at him with his eyes big and mouth open. He tried to understand this new piece of information he had just got.

"So.. They like you" Jungsoo said slowly and made Sungmin choke on his tea. Sungmin started coughing violently, and between the coughs he desperately tried to deny it.

"N-o.. T-th-they do-n't" he coughed, with Jungsoo trying to pat his back to help.

"Usually people don't hold each other's hand if they don't like each other, Sungmin. Usually. Sometimes there might be some another reason but I can't honestly think of any other reason this person could have had for holding your hand" Jungsoo said, still patting the back of the coughing Sungmin.

When Sungmin finally stopped coughing, Jungsoo got up with the book he borrowed. He said something about going to sleep, thanked for the book and said not to worry too much about this certain person, but Sungmin wasn't really listening. He just looked ahead at nothing in particular, taking in his brother's earlier words. But, what he said couldn't be true? Could it?

 

- Hellooooo guys! Long time no update, damn. Consider this chapter Christmas present from me haha ^^" I have been working on this chapter for MONTHS and hope you'll like it. Thank you in advance for possible comments, subscribes etc., they make me happy, you guys are the bestcan't promise you, when the next chapter will be out, but I'll promise there will most definitely be more to this story! Stay tuned, I really appreciate you all, thanks for reading my story so far ❤ -