Chapter 4: It's been a while

I Should Watch Where I'm Going

Days passed, eventually turning into two whole weeks, and Sungmin didn't see Kyuhyun nor hear anything about him at all. He started to feel anxious. Did he do something wrong? Is Kyuhyun okay? He couldn't quite bring himself to text the boy, though. He was too nervous to do so. He has never been very good at communicating.

Sungmin's friends started to notice his odd behaviour, but had no clue of what to do about it, since Sungmin hadn't let them know much about his new friend. They could see him being a nervous wreck, but didn't quite know, how to bring it up with him. But one day at the school cafeteria, Donghae had had enough.

"Okay, spill it." He said firmly to Sungmin over their lunches. Sungmin hadn't taken even a bite of his own, just shifted the food around on the plate mindlessly. Sungmin jumped a little at the sudden comment, startled. He looked up at his friend with a questioning look. Donghae rolled his eyes. Ryeowook, sitting next to him, showed him an equally frustrated expression.

"Are you serious? Are you honestly asking me what I mean? Gosh Sungmin, you've been acting weird for almost weeks now, and I honestly need to know why. I'm your friend and this is worrying me." Donghae explained.

Ryeowook, who sat by him nodded in agreement. 

"We both want to know what's gotten into you." he said. 

Sungmin swallowed. What could he say? He knows he's acting ridiculous. He doesn't even know Kyuhyun, why is he acting like this? Unless.. No. That's not it. It can't be. He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. The gesture clearly confused his friends sitting across of him but he didn't notice. 

'What has gotten into you, Sungmin??' He asked himself. The truth, that he refused to admit to himself, was that he actually missed the other boy. His goofy grin and sparkly eyes. Even his teasing. But he wouldn't admit that to himself, and he definitely wouldn't admit it to his friends. 

"Hello? Earth to Sungmin?" Donghae said, snapping his fingers in front of Sungmin's face. Sungmin snapped out of his thoughts, and finally saw his friends, who were looking at him. They were like two big question marks. Sungmin sighed. He couldn't leave his friends hanging like this, it would just make all of their lives difficult. They wouldn't leave Sungmin alone. He took a deep breath.

"Well.. Do you remember me telling you guys about the new.. friend I got the other day?" He started, fiddling with his hands as he spoke. His friends just nodded in unison, not saying anything. 

"Uh.. so.. We exchanged phone numbers and all, but I haven't heard anything about him since that day, and now I don't know what to do. I don't know if he's even okay. But I haven't gotten myself to contact him first, because, you know.. I'm bad at.. dealing with people." He explained to his friends and waited for a reaction. Both of the boys in front of him just looked at him. Soon they started giggling uncontrollably. Sungmin was confused. Did he say something funny?

"That's it?? We thought that you might have some trouble at home or something like actually serious, oh my God Sungmin! You're impossible. Just text the guy if it's so important damn it." Donghae said after recovering from the fit of laughter. Ryeowook nodded again, giggling. 

"Yeah Sungmin, just contact him. It's okay, I'm sure he's just been busy or something and hasn't been contacting you because of it. And who knows, maybe he's actually waiting for you to contact him first!"

The last line struck Sungmin hard. He hadn't thought about that at all. What if Kyuhyun was doing the exact same thing he was? The thought made him smile a little. If that's true, they had both been silly. 

"Thanks guys" he said to his friends with a smile. They answered his smile with their own, and looked at each other, rolling their eyes playfully at the silliness of their friend.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

Later that evening Sungmin was at home, in his room, sitting on his bed. He had his phone in his hand, and had looked up Kyuhyun's information from his contact list. He bit his lip as he opened the text messages. He inhaled and exhaled deeply, and wrote "Hello". His finger lingered over the 'Send' button but he didn't press it. Was this too simple? What could he say? He thought about it deeply.

Hello. How are you?

He decided that's the best he could come up with, and pressed send. He regretted his decision immediately. He started to panic a little. Why did he say that? That was really dumb thing to say! What should he do?

His thoughts went on and on like this until he heard his phone cling. He grabbed it as fast as a lightning. Kyuhyun answered him! With shaking hands he opened the chat. 

Kyuhyun: Sungminnie! It's been a while ^^ I'm doing good, how about you?

His heart skipped a beat at the nickname. 'Sungminnie'. Nobody calls him that. Except for Kyuhyun of course. He tried to think of an answer.

Sungmin: Yes it has. Have you been busy lately? I haven't seen you around at school. I'm doing fine too, thank you.

He pressed send and waited. He could hear his own heartbeat clearly in his ears.

*cling*

Kyuhyun: I have, kinda.

Sungmin frowned. That's it? 

*cling*

Kyuhyun: What are you doing on Saturday? 

Sungmin's stomach felt like he had just gone down a case of stairs and skipped one. He wrote his reply with shaky fingers.

Sungmin: ? Saturday? I don't have plans. Why?

He waited for an answer impatiently. He bit his lip. What is Kyuhyun up to?

*cling*

Kyuhyun: Do you want to do something? Go somewhere? With me I mean.

Sungmin could swear that at this rate his heart is going to stop, his pulse was all over the place. It took him a moment to get himself together and write back.

Sungmin: Uh, sure? What do you want to do? Where should we go?

He stared at the screen, as if it could make the reply come faster. 

*cling*

Kyuhyun: Meet me at school? Is 1pm ok?

Sungmin was speechless. He stared down at the message for quite some time before realizing that he was actually supposed to answer.

Sungmin: School? Okay. 1 PM is fine.

He didn't have to wait long for an answer.

*cling*

Kyuhyun: Cool! See you then, Sungminnie! ^^

Sungmin couldn't believe this. He was actually going to see Kyuhyun again. In a few days, and there would be just the two of them. Like last time.

Sungmin: Okay, see you! ^^

Sungmin let himself fall on his back on the bed. He sighed. Suddenly he was really thankful to his friends. 

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆~

The next morning went by, and Sungmin found himself and his friends in the cafeteria again.

"So, has there been any progress with the Kyuhyun guy?" Ryeowook asked Sungmin, and put a spoonful of food into his mouth while waiting for his answer. 

Sungmin smiled. 

"We are going to meet up on Saturday" he said with a grin.

Donghae and Ryeowook smiled and gave him a high five.

"Good for you! Aren't you glad that you told us about it!" Donghae grinned.

"Yeah, I am. Thanks guys, really." Sungmin said, smiling at his best friends. He then noticed Donghae's gaze drifting off. He followed his eyes and saw a guy with a dazzling blonde hair and a wide smile. He heard Donghae letting out a small sigh. Sungmin grinned.

"Earth to Donghae! Earth to Donghae!" He waved his hand in front of Donghae's face, imitating Donghae's attempt to get his attention the previous day. Donghae pushed his hand away.

"What?" He said. Sungmin could notice a faint blush on his face. Ryeowook noticed it too. They grinned at each other. Donghae looked startled. 

"What??" He repeated. 

"Oh, nothing much, I just happened to notice you drooling after a certain blonde over there.." Sungmin said with a devilish smile. Donghae blushed now furiously, which made Sungmin and Ryeowook laugh. 

"C'mon Hae, do you know anything about him? What's his name? How old is he? Is he single?" Ryeowook asked, voice coloured with curiousity.

Donghae nodded, face still red as a tomato. He lowered his voice.

"His name is Hyukjae, but most people call him Eunhyuk. He is the same age as me and I don't know if he's seeing anyone. Also he's insanely cute." Donghae enlightened them, blushing even more furiously at the end of his statement. 

Sungmin knew now, how to pay Donghae back for his help in the Kyuhyun issue. He would help Donghae's  (obvious) crush notice him. He looked at Ryeowook, who seemed to have read his thoughts. They nodded firmly, and thus made a voiceless deal to help their friend, together. 

 

 

 

- Hey guys! It's been a while, but here I am again with a new chapter ^^ I'm sorry for the eternity of a hiatus, I've been busy with other stuff >< Nothing really big happened between our main characters so far, but don't you worry! We shall see, what happens in the next chapter (-; (ok honestly I have literally no clue what's gonna happen but let me even pretend to be mysterious ok? Ok.) Thank you so much for reading, subscribing, commenting and upvoting! It means a lot ❤ See you at the next chapter! -