Surprise

Mymin

 

As the days passed in Jungkook's company, Jimin decided it was precious enough to just have him as a friend. Their friendship was more valuable than some silly crush that had the potential to ruin everything, so he was going to let it go.

 

“Come on, today we're going somewhere special.” Jungkook sent him one of his epic winks, turning his insides into a plasma globe, giving him multiple jolts as he dragged him outside and off the school grounds.

“Where are we going?” he giggled.

“You'll see!” Jungkook gave him a cryptic grin, looking cuter than ever, if that was even possible.

 

“A dance studio?” Jimin stopped abruptly when he saw the sign.

“Yeah, you said you used to dance, right?” Jungkook sounded excited.

“...mm...yeah...” he said shyly.

“I have some friends that have a practice space here, I thought it would be fun to have a go. What do ya say?” Jungkook smiled his sweetest smile. Jimin nodded, half-terrified, half-the most excited he had been all year.

 

“Okay, show me what you've got!” Jungkook some music. It was a proper studio, surround mirrors on the wall, good stereo, the works. It looked professional. It was way fancier than the place at which he had taken his dance classes. The music only needed a minute or two before it had completely taken over his body, overwriting everything resembling shyness. It was impossible to stand still, his muscles demanded to move, and he let them. Excited, Jungkook encouraged him by clapping in rhythm with the music with a 'Woo!' here and a 'Yeah!' there.

Jimin danced his heart out, becoming one with the music. He felt so at home, so happy. He almost forgot Jungkook was there, so when the song was over, a bucket of self-conscious awkwardness washed over him. He bit his lip, his right foot drawing tiny invisible circles on the floor.

“Wow!” Jungkook applauded him vigorously. “You should be a dancer! Like, professionally!” he stated with conviction. Jimin's face turned into an instant furnace.

“No, not professionally.” he giggled, waving it off as ridiculous. Although he did appreciate Jungkook's encouragement with all his heart, mind and soul, it was a little overstated to say the least.

“I'm serious!! I've got a great eye for spotting those that could actually make it.” Jungkook tried to convince him.

“Right.” Jimin laughed it off. “All those hours you've spent as a dance teacher and a judge, is it?”.

“Mmm...something like that.” Jungkook's expression turned mysterious, as he selected a song and positioned himself right in the middle of the room. What followed was so unbelievable, Jimin had to repeatedly pinch himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming or hallucinating. Jungkook was tearing up the floor with his wild, incredible dance moves. He had never seen anything like it. When the music stopped, he just stood there, with his mouth open, frozen in disbelief and amazement. His lungs started to burn, making him realize he had forgotten to breathe this whole time.

“Since when can you dance?” he finally managed to blurt out.

“My mom said I started dancing before I started walking.” Jungkook chuckled.

“Why didn't you say anything?”.

“You've got to keep the mystery alive.” he shrugged with a crooked smile dancing on his lips. Jimin giggled.

“I choreographed it myself. You wanna give it a go?” he grinned widely.

“Okay.” Jimin said in a thin voice, his stomach turning upside down. When he woke up this morning, he did not imagine he would be doing a dance duo with Jungkook, who was a prodigy dancer. That guy had layers.

 

Thankfully, Jimin had excellent muscle-memory and was quick on the uptake, so it didn't take long for him to master most of the choreography. There was one tricky part he was having trouble with though, a difficult turn, and as he attempted it for the fifth time, he fell flat on his back. It hurt, but not as much as it hurt his pride.

“Uh oh! Are you okay?” Jungkook ran to him and offered him his hand. Well, it would be rude to refuse, Jimin thought, but the moment his hand touched Jungkook's, he immediately regretted it. The friction of their warm skin to skin contact started a fire, a fire that spread from Jimin's palm, up his arm and into his chest, where it roared, consuming all of his insides until there was nothing left but the stifling heat that had nowhere to go, making it hard to breathe.

“I'm... I'm okay.” he lied. He wasn't okay. Not remotely. He didn't want to let go of Jungkook's hand. He didn't want to be just friends. He wanted Jungkook to set him on fire every day, letting his heart burn to ashes each time, so it could be reborn every morning, a little bigger, to make room for his growing love for him. He wanted to spend the day dancing with him, and the nights doing a different kind of dancing together. He wanted him, and he desperately wanted him to want him back. He was definitely not okay.

After an awkwardly long pause, where Jimin should have already released his hand, Jungkook claimed it back. It felt like he was tearing a tiny part of his heart away, taking it with him. He knew he was being dramatic, but he couldn't help it. He had been keeping a lid on all his feelings for Jungkook, hiding them carefully from the world as well as from himself, until all that dancing shook the lid loose and they all came bursting out with extreme force, overwhelming him completely.

 

“Come on, let's get something good to eat. I think we've earned it.” Jungkook beamed, drops of sweat using his temple as a slide. How did he look even cuter after such an intense workout? Jimin just looked like a hot mess.

“Oh hey, you forgot something.” Jimin spotted something white lying on the dance floor. He hurried to pick it up, stopping in his tracks when he realized what it was. It was a handkerchief. And not just any old handkerchief. It was his handkerchief. The one he sent him on Valentine's.

“Oh man, thanks!” Jungkook came over and scooped it off the floor, sending him a thankful wink.

“You still have that?” Jimin asked, a million questions bombarding the inside of his skull, trying to get out.

“Hehh.... yeah.” Jungkook gave him an embarrassed grin as he tucked it into his back pocket. “I just want to find out who sent it, you know...”.

“What about the other ones?” Jimin tried to X-ray his pockets with his eyes to see if he had them with him as well, but they looked empty.

“Dunno, this one is special.” he simply said, and shrugged.

Jimin's heart did a double backflip. Jungkook thought he was special. So he didn't know it was him, but still. He wanted to tell him right then and there, but his lips refused to form the words and just made do with a little smile.