Destiny

Mymin

 

Jimin doodled something in his notebook, only half-aware of the fact that the teacher had just walked in. He knew he should snap out of it and show his best self to the teacher and the other students, and try his hardest to succeed in this last year of high school, the year where his life would be decided whether he liked it or not, but he had woken up listless. He hadn't been himself all week. Maybe it was the fact that he had no idea what he wanted to be, scared of the path he would be put on if he didn't choose for himself. This concerned the rest of his life.

How could one's life be decided just like that, almost at the wave of a hand, as if someone came in and stamped you with a non-erasable stamp, 'doctor', 'lawyer', 'engineer', 'loser', these were really the only options, branded for life. Naturally, no one was supposed to want the loser-stamp, it was the stamp you got because you failed to acquire the other ones. Looking out the window, he wandered how it would be to live in a stampless world. He was not looking forward to the yearlong self-incarceration in the crowded, claustrophobic study room cafe, all the while suppressing this tiny voice at the back of his head telling him, begging him, not to ignore who he really was.

 

"Listen up, everyone. We have a new student joining us today. I expect you all to welcome him with open arms. It's not easy to start a new school a month into the school year, much less when it's the final and most important year of all. I know you are all busy with your own studies, but I expect you to help him get on his feet, a little help from everyone goes a long way. Alright?" the teacher demanded. The class answered with a unanimous yes, but it didn't sound very convincing.

"Introduce yourself briefly and choose one of the empty seats, we have a lot of ground to cover today." he said a bit more softly to the student.

"Ehehm.. Hi! I'm Jungkook. " his haunting voice made Jimin look up for the first time since he sat down this morning. It was like nothing he had ever heard before. It was bright, yet with this mesmerizing undertone that made him strain his ears to be sure not to miss even a single breath sound. The owner of the voice made Jimin do a double take. He blinked, shaking his head slightly to make sure he wasn't imagining this.

Ever since he was little, his mom had nicknamed him Moomin, on account of his likeness to them. His mom thought it was cute, but he had always kind of disliked it, for it reminded him of his chubby cheeks that he just didn't seem to be able to grow out of, no matter how hard he tried. His mom called them cute and pinched them a bit too hard, a bit too often, but he didn't want to be cute, he wanted to be y. Every boy in the class had had girlfriends, for at least a day, everyone but him. People said you should wait for someone special to be your first, because a first only came around once per lifetime, but he didn't care. He wanted nothing more than to get this first over with. He felt as if it would change something important deep inside of him. Something that didn't feel quite right at the moment and hadn't for the longest time. He was just too shy and hadn't found anyone he was interested in. None of the girls in his class did it for him. He didn't know what it was, but the 'it' wasn't there.

Now, the reason he was so taken aback, was not the fact that the new kid was so delicately handsome that it was like looking at a freshly finished painting, but all the more peculiar fact that he looked like he had just stepped out of a drawing from a Moomin-book. He looked just like Snufkin. He couldn't believe it. It felt strangely like destiny. He knew it sounded ridiculous, and it was probably just a mixture of a lack of sleep and melancholy, making everything seem more dramatic than it really was, but he felt as if he had been sent to him. Ah, he was being crazy. Of course there didn't exist an invisible force that had brought them together, he was here because for some reason his parents had sent him to this school. Maybe they moved, maybe he had been kicked out of his last school, maybe he had been bullied, there were a thousand possible reasons. Jimin heard his brain make a wager with itself. There were five unoccupied chairs in the classroom, one of them right beside him. It was equally likely he would choose any one of them, so if he chose the one beside him, it was destiny, if not, he would stop this silly daydream of his and rejoin reality.

After finishing a short introduction, Jungkook started scanning the room for free seats. Jimin's heart jumped. He didn't know whether to hope he would sit next to him or not. Or it was more like, he knew he should snap out of it and hope that bundle of trouble would take his disruption elsewhere, but he couldn't help but hope with his whole heart that his seat was the seat he would pick. Please. Please. Please.

Jimin's heart slowly sank to the bottom of his gut as Jungkook headed for a spot in the middle of the room, surprised at just how much he had wanted to write his own real life Moomin storybook. He sighed, the exhaled air blue with disappointment. The tip of the pencil continued the doodle it had started earlier, with even less enthusiasm than before.

"You mind if I sit here?".

Jimin's eyes darted up, landing on Jungkook's hopeful smile. It was so sweet it almost gave him a toothache. When the smile started turning into a question mark, Jimin realized he had just been staring at him in disbelief, not saying anything. His face turned deep red.

"Oh, eh, sure. Go ahead." he giggled, embarrassed, not believing that this was really happening.

 

Destiny.