Sophrosyne

Arcana: Ephemeral Innocence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Xinran' meant happiness. Specifically, it signified 'being delighted' or 'gladly doing things' or 'cheerful readiness'. Parents usually bestowed 'Xinran' to their child expressing their best wishes for their child to live a happy life, always have courage and optimism, and never give up to any adversity life brings. Combined with their surname 'Wang' which indicated king, the name 'Wang Xinran' conveyed majestic alacrity. The name simply denoted gracefulness through diligence. 

It was the precise method to describe Wang Xinran, the vessel to the Card of the Fool.

Her home was in the borough of Dauxian in Fleurheim, an immaculate countryside at the northern lands of Archaion and one of the empire's seventy-eight nations. Orchards of plump apples and succulent peaches and refreshing pears, meadows filled with small drops of buttercups and thick bulbs of ranunculus and different shades of chrysanthemums, pastures for hickory bisons and Rambouillet sheep, and the ancient woodland Gwynweald encompassed the bountiful rural area. Fleurheim — like most of the other nations — was a glorious melting pot. Over a millennium, Archaion evolved into a homogeneous empire and one could almost never meet a pureblood from a certain ethnicity in their whole lifespan. This was the biggest dream and ultimate goal of His Late Imperial Majesty, Holy Emperor Aurelius, benevolent founder of the Archaian Empire.

Xinran grew up with a wise father, loving mother, and protective older brother. Her clement father was a lost ronin before encountering a retired assassin who would become her fierce mother. They happily lived an honest and humble life in a quaint cottage located near the entrance of Gwynweald. Xinran's parents successfully left their past lives for the sake of their children's future. Her brilliant brother, Seongwoo, studied in one of Archaion's best liberal arts academies and was one of the most sought-after males in Fleurheim for his gorgeous looks and versatility in various areas spoke for him. The Fool and her brother helped their parents in working and maintaining their adequate farm. The mixture of ethnicity that ran in their blood was no doubt a combination of east and west. Ethnicity was never an enormous or sensitive topic in Archaion. They cared less to never about it. Xinran's oblivious family were also vessels to some of the Minor Arcana: her father for the Four of Swords, her mother for the Queen of Pentacles, and her brother for the Six of Wands. 

Her family loved Xinran so much so they felt an overwhelming amount of stress when the girl followed her dream of going out for an adventure. After all, her parents agreed upon the idea of Xinran discontinuing everything to pursue a journey out to the world when she reached the ripe age of eighteen. Seongwoo was furious; Xinran was his precious little sister and he always had an immense responsibility to make sure nothing horrible would happen to her. It was not because Xinran occurred to not be one of the most well-oiled machines in Fleurheim (let alone Archaion) but because of her innocence that her family worried for her. She might have been too benign but she wasn't stupid. She might have short attention span but she wasn't forgetful. She might have the face of a mediocre lady but her inner beauty never stopped flourishing. Xinran was as ordinary as a pristine canvas but she was beyond ready for the vibrant colors to lovingly and wildly splash on her. 

Xinran only planned to explore Archaion. However, she got lost marched outside the empire's map. 

On the earliest days of Archaion, the empire which started with only twenty-two contiguous territories was laboriously built on one eighteenth of the planet's landmass. The occupied space consisted of different geographical features to suit every inhabitant. After a decade the draconian tectonic movement called The Shift erected the land of Archaion and fifty-six more territories interpolating the empire with herculean height among the rest of the world. Emperor Aurelius saw The Shift as a divine sign that these territories were brought together for a sacred reason, so he sought his mission of uniting the seventy-eight kings and queens and their territories into one sweeping empire under his rule.

Somewhere on the outskirts of Fleurheim situated the concealed passage out of plateau-like imperium.

Xinran kept her smile wide, her focus narrow, her chin up and her feet down as she wandered through dense forests and unstable terrains and boggy wetlands and tropical rainforests, dangerous routes b with nasty thieves and concealed traps and bands of kind gypsies and groups of merry men and strong women fulfilling their quests, hidden unearthly sanctuaries the world ferociously hid from everyone, remote civilisations with different welfares and complex ingenuities, malevolent monstrosities who might have or might not have been cannibals and unbelievable creatures lurking in unseen directions, and even Death itself. Xinran would have died the first week of her journey if not for the people she met and lost along the way. She stayed at different settlements in different leagues with different people from different classes. Positivity, gallantry, and a large amount of irrefutable je ne sais quoi were tremendously insufficient to survive through those and come back in one piece. 

Xinran came back to Archaion after three years.

Her once youthful alabaster skin turned to warm dewy beige with an amount of scar discolorations and healing wounds and tiny wrinkle lines. Her previously rich onyx hair cut became permanently burgundy and wavy due to a certain fruit she ate on her journey. Her thin wrists adorned an intricate pair of tattoo-like patterns. Her simple domestic skills hitherto leaving Fleurheim were useful albeit renewed, but she also learned abilities not even Seongwoo's academy taught. Xinran mastered archery and the art of phytomedicine under the wing of civilized and intellectual Kyron, the supr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter