The Worst White Day Ever

Pretty Boy Club

Hi everyone! Thank you for putting your faith and subscribing despite there being no chapters uploaded yet, I'm so grateful for the support! Hopefully the wait has been worth it! Here's the first chapter to whet your appetite, please tell me what you think and I'll try my best to work on it to create a great plot for all of you Wannables <3 

9d4aef304a79a7fab153c0e95167c218.jpg


Growing up is never like in the dramas or movie, when your childhood best friends and you stay tight-knitted as peas as a pod and you all grow up fine and dandy, holding hands and overcoming obstacles together. Well, once upon a time, I had wished that was true.

It wasn’t such a distant memory when my two best friends, Daniel and Sungwoo were still booger-flicking, prank-playing snot-nosed monkeys and we were the terrible trio who terrorised teachers. We even had our exclusive handshake and we swore that no boy or girl would come between us.  We were all so thrilled about going to the same high school together. We fantasised about high school and dormitory life and chatted excitedly about the adult things we'll do away from home. The bars we'll visit, the road trips we'll take on weekends, the cool cafes around the area we'll drop by for brunch on weekends.

But then, life doesn't go to plan and children grow up, even my two immature friends who snicker over the lamest things.

I never realised the two dorks I have as best friends would ever be boyfriend material. I mean, Sungwoo and his crazy, exaggerated expressions, folding his ears to make the entire class laugh and Daniel who screams bloody murder when he sees so much as a tiny bug fly by. 

Oh, I was so wrong. The moment we entered high school together, the looks and attention they got were no joke. I guess I couldn't say they were hideous-looking, but it was ridiculous how every girl that got close to me had the same intention in mind:

1. To ask me if I was their girlfriend ("Hell no."), to which they would heave a huge, obvious sigh of relief and then...

2. If they had girlfriends ("Uh no...?"), to which at this point it was clear that their intentions for talking to me was for my best friends and not me...

3. If I could introduce them (Seriously, the gall.)

Fortunately or unfortunately, I didn't have to go through that ordeal for a long time. Because apparently it was White Day on the second week of high school and both Daniel and Sungwoo found themselves dates already.

“Sorry, Rin, Chungha and I are going to catch a movie after school today. Do you… want to join us?” Daniel scratched his head, looking both sheepish and excited at the same time.

“Oh, no, it’s okay Niel. Have fun and tell her I said hi!” I shook my head, to which he flashed me his toothy, gum-showing grin and ruffled my hair, before rushing off.

It's okay, I still can play with Ong, I told myself. Just then, I received a call from the devil himself.

“Rin! Go home by yourself! I’ll be waiting for Doyeonnie to end cheerleading practice!” 

Oh.... “Arasso, Ongie!” I tried to sound excited and happy for him and to hide my disappointment.

So at the second week of high school, I found myself alone, friendless and struggling with math. The latter is a guaranteed given how I'm not the brightest bulb around... but the first two?

Well, I never made any friends back in elementary school when I had Daniel and Sungwoo around, I was just that comfortable with them, so I don't really have anyone else to hang out with, even if I know them from my previous elementary school. And the first two weeks, girls only came to me to get my best friends' numbers, not to make friends. Everyone else was secluded within their own cliques from elementary school and not bothering to say hi to a new student like me.

I sighed. How much I missed elementary school, where life was so much more simple, when everyone hung out with each other and there were no hormones to screw everything up.

"Oppa!"

I barely had time to react before a horde of overly excited girls hurled towards me, nearly knocking over me in the process. They seemed to be running towards... omg, is that who I think it is?

I felt a surge of annoyance flood over me when I recgonised the pouty lips and slanting eyes of the boy who had attracted all that attention. He was decked in a bright pink hoodie and smiling like a Chesire cat as he received the flowers, chocolates and gifts from the group of the girls. Oh right, it was White Day. 

Park freaking Jihoon. I clenched my fists. I would never forget who that idiot was... the crybaby who made my kindergarten life hell.

Every memory of my kindergarten was ruined by him... drawing puzzles, playtime, eating time and even washing up. He was such a pain in the , even in the recesses of my faint memories of my childhood. He would follow me around and whatever I was doing, he would demand to do it as well.If he broke a crayon while drawing, he would demand for my crayon and if I didn't oblige, he would cry until the teacher came and of course, he would pull a dastardly aegyo act and then somehow I was punished. It wasn't just one time. He wanted to go on the swings first, he wanted the chocolate biscuits, he wanted to wash up first, he wanted the puppy plushie... I was so frustrated and I knew I had to give in, because the teachers adored him for the cherubic grins they would coo over.

He still looks the same. If not, even more annoying. I can't believe he's in my high school... I thought I would never see him again. I scoffed at the dimwitted girls surrounding him, thinking of how they would react if they knew he was such an annoying, attention-grabbing brat in the past. Glaring at his pink hoodie and dyed brown hair, I thought to myself bitterly, wait. He probably still is an annoying, attention-grabbing brat now.

I must have been burning holes into his back, because suddenly he turned around and we made eye contact. For a brief second, he didn't seem to recognise me, but then realisation dawned upon him and - the freaking gall of him- a knowing smirk flitted across his features. I gave him one last glare before marching away, my mood thoroughly soured at meeting the last person I wanted to see from my childhood.

White Day was never a big deal back in elementary school. Boys and girls were the same. We all played together like rascals. There were a few couples, but those were discreet and kept hush-hush since it was rare. Somehow, it was such a big deal here!? Someone like Park Jihoon could have that many admirers!? I seethed at that thought.

"Ya, hoobae!" A student at a booth full of flowers and chocolates called out to me as I walked past. "Going to confess to anyone? The soccer team is raising funds!" He gestured towards the gifts on the table and shot me a meaningful grin. He must have saw the look on my face, because he quickly added, "Okay, even if you're not confessing, you can chip in for a good cause. I'll give you 50 percent off."

I paused, glancing at the sad wilted roses on the booth and the near-empty money jar. I dropped in my spare change, to his cheery thanks and was about to walk off when I saw the photo tacked on the banner.

Wait. I know that guy. I felt my cheeks redden as I honed into a very familiar-looking sunbae in the photo.

"Heh, checking me out?" The boy cheekily interjected and I flushed red, stepping back. "Well, Shim Saerin-" he glanced at my nametag, "I will accept your flowers if you're buying for me."

I shook my head, feeling amused at this boy's utter shamelessness. "I have nobody to get flowers for." I deadpanned. "And I don't plan to." I glanced back at the photo and butterflies fluttered in my stomach.

"That's a shame-" He was going to reply me, but then I heard an all-too-familiar angelic voice call out, "Jaehwan-ah!"

I froze on the spot, wishing I would disappear right on the spot.

"Hwang Minhyun!" Jaehwan waved back eagerly, "We got a donation from this nice hoobae here..." He turned to find out I was gone, "Eh! Where is Saerin? She was just here!"

"Stop being silly, Jaehwan-ah," Minhyun laughed good-naturedly, his eyes crinkling into perfect half-moons, "You must be tired from standing here the whole day. Let me take over."

"Nah, I know you're busy with all them chicks confessing to you," Jaehwan waved him off, but clapped him on the back affectionately.

I watched them from my hiding spot behind a pillar, my heart clenching at the sight of the one and only Hwang Minhyun.

So... he's in my school too? I felt the corners of my mouth lift up and my heart doing a tiny dance as I saw him fooling around with Jaehwan. I thought I saw wrongly in the photo, but turns out, he truly was my sunbae...

Jaehwan was right. Minhyun was carrying paper bags stuffed full of gifts, but it was obvious he was trying to hide them, from the way he stuffed everything into two overfilled paper bags, which were threatening to burst. I wasn't surprised- he was the most perfect man alive; he wouldn't be short of any admirers and confessions on White Day. "Let's go out for drinks, as promised." Minhyun said.

"Don't you have a date, bro?" Jaehwan eyed the paper bags enviously.

Minhyun laughed, scratching his head. "Apparently not." I felt myself smile triumphantly, as if I had won a war. Silly Saerin, I thought to myself, not as if you stand a chance anyway. 

"Well, me neither," Jaehwan laughed, "I rejected all of my admirers," he added, "Just now that pretty hoobae was going to confess to me, I think, she wanted to buy me flowers, but then you scared her off." I couldn't help but roll my eyes. This student was full of bull.

"Oh?" Minhyun looked genuinely convinced. This pure, innocent boy. "Well, sorry, I'll be a good date to you tonight." he laughed and I felt my head going dizzy at that beautiful laugh of his. "Come, let's pack up, it's late."

This was my cue to stop spying on them. I slinked away from my spot and turned around...

... to see Park Jihoon leaning against the wall in his pink hoodied glory, smirking at me with his pink gloss-tinted lips.

"Does somebody have a crush?"