The Commander and The Ace

When We Were Young

“Commander Kim!”

Jong Kook turned around, and saw his dongsaeng and hoobae running.

“Eoh, Joong Ki-ah, what’s up?”

Jong Kook and Joong Ki were good friends, and often spoke out of formal speech.

“Hyung, the captain wants us to meet to discuss about The Aces! Pali-pali! (Quickly!)

The Aces were a small, vigilante group well-known in South Korea, led by former Seoul Police Agency Captain Yoo Jae Suk. He left long before Jong Kook even moved to Seoul. No one could confirm why the former captain turned rogue, but it was rumoured that he was the nicest and most responsible captain the precinct had. Jong Kook thought it was a load of bull – otherwise, why would a captain turn rogue?

Jong Kook’s current and only captain was Kim Byung Man: a very skilled, knowledgeable, and respectable man.

“Take a seat, gentlemen.”

Captain Kim gestured them to take a seat. In front of him, was a folder containing all the information they had on The Aces.

“The reason I am calling this meeting is to assign you two onto this case. It has been reported that The Aces are now affiliated with The Devils. As you know, The Devils is a very dangerous and very secretive gang, and we need to gain access to them through The Aces.”

Jong Kook snickered. How could a nice and responsible captain ever team up with a dangerous gang leader? The Devils were truly named accurately. They ruled parts of Seoul: they owned plenty of clubs, but specialized in trading drugs and warfare. When they didn’t get what they wanted, they caused chaos in and out of the city. One would think with all the havoc they caused, the police would have caught them by now – but The Devils have always managed to escape somehow.

Joong Ki asked, “What would The Aces gain in working with a gang? The Aces are popular with the Seoul population, so if they work with a deadly gang, they’re only harming themselves…”

“We’re not too sure yet – I haven’t heard from our agents yet working in The Aces. Until then I will need you two to keep a track on The Aces and possibly find a connection to The Devils. Understood?”

Both men accepted their mission.

Captain Kim handed them the folders. “Good, you’ll need to catch yourselves up with their most recent activities. This is your most important case, you may drop your current cases to other offices.”

Jong Kook and Joong Ki read through the various files published by the media:

The Aces take down murderer the police couldn’t

Vigilante group botch gang drug trafficking

Yoo Jae Suk and The Aces: Heroes or criminals?

The two officers looked through the most recent, but incomplete, profile of the group provided by their undercover agents. The file contained the names: Yoo Jae Suk; HaHa; Lee Kwang Soo; Ji Suk Jin; Kang Gary; Song Ji Hyo; Lee Dong Wook; Kim Dong Jun; and Jung Yong Hwa, but only contained photos of the first four.

The Aces were a small, but highly skilled group. It will be a challenge to find them, but for the two best officers in the Seoul distract, nothing is impossible.


After his work day ended, Jong Kook went grocery shopping to restock vegetables and his beloved chicken stash. Living alone was easy in the sense that he didn’t need to shop very often, and even when he did, his shopping lists were always short. Not that he wanted to be alone…

He only wanted to be with one woman, but after returning to his hometown two years after his departure, he learned that his childhood best friend went missing in a flood and was never found.

Jong Kook blamed himself, and drowned himself in alcohol. If it wasn’t for his captain’s patience and threat of never being able to return to policing, he would have never been able to move on.  

With his best friends’ support, Jong Kook eventually went on dates, but they never lasted. He decided to give up on relationships. After all, the only woman he ever loved was gone, and no one else interested him.

At least, that’s what he thought.

At the meat department, Jong Kook stopped at the beauty a couple feet in front of him: and it wasn’t his precious chicken . The woman looked so innocent and beautiful with her doe eyes; milky complexion; and long, wavy hair that surrounded her head like a halo. It felt like his heart was going to beat out of his chest. Something was so familiar about her, but he couldn’t put his finger on it…

It felt like an eternity before Jong Kook finally noticed the man standing next to her, picking out some beef.

“Oppa, I can’t believe you are leaving.”

Even her voice, while sad, was mesmerizing…

“Mian, Ji Hyo-ah…You know oppa has to.”

Jong Kook’s ears perked up when he heard the name, but what are the chances? There were hundreds of girls named Ji Hyo. But it was a good enough reason for Jong Kook to want to know more about the beautiful woman. Jong Kook soon forgot about replenishing his chicken, and followed the couple out.

 


Sorry for the late update, but I've been busy with school again TT

On another note, the recent episodes with SOOOO MANY SA moments have me gushing!! 
I don't know if I'll include the new members (not that I don't like them), but we shall see. I don't know a lot about gangs tbh so I hope this makes sense lol. Please let me know if there is anything you want to see~ After watching parts of the last episode: *changes Seung Im to Soo Yeon* lol. 

Thank you for your support!!! xoxoxo