The Beginning of the End

When We Were Young

Twenty past twelve. She was late. They agreed to meet at noon at their favourite neighbourhood café. In a way Jongkook was relieved she wasn’t there yet – he could use the extra time to calm down and prepare himself to hurt his best friend – but it also meant less time being with her.

“Oppa, mianhae for being late! I slept in again…” Seung Im said out of breath.

 Lost in his thoughts, Jongkook didn’t notice Seung Im running down the street in a frenzy moments earlier.

“Oh Ji Hyo-ah, it’s okay. I ordered a hot chocolate for you.”

Jongkook handed the now lukewarm beverage to Seung Im, who gladly accepted it and took a sip.

“Ahhh, you’re the best, oppa!”

Her entire face lit up with her smile, and he decided that meeting with her was a good idea. While Seung Im rambled about who-knows-what, Jongkook started memorizing her features: her round, doe eyes; her face flushed from running; her hair messy from sleep; and most importantly, her genuine smile which always magically made his day better. He tried to memorize the face that he saw everyday, which will soon become the face he won’t see for a long time.

He finally snapped out of it when Seung Im waved her hands in his face.

“Oppa, are you okay? What did you want to talk about?”

Jongkook cleared his throat to get rid of the lump. “Seung Im-ah, you need to learn to take care of yourself. How are you going to graduate if you can never make it to class on time, huh? You need to find a good job so you can marry a nice man.”

Seung Im chuckled at his nagging since she’s used to it after spending eight years together. “I have you, right? You’re stuck with me forever, Jungkook oppa, whether you like it or not!”

He knew she was joking, but he couldn’t bring himself to reciprocate, especially not when he had to deliver his news. He really didn’t want to tell her. He didn’t want her to hate him.

He started picking at his calluses on his hands from his workouts to avoid her question – to avoid looking at those beautiful eyes. He didn’t want them to fill up with tears. He wouldn’t be able to leave if she cried, and he must go.

Seung Im noticed her best friend was unusually quiet today and he wouldn’t look her in the eyes. “Oppa, what is going on? Are you okay?” Seung Im reached out to hold his hand, but he quickly pulled back, leaving her stunned.

Without looking up, Jongkook whispered to the table, “I’m moving.”

“What did you say? Speak up, oppa! When did you ever become this quiet?? You’re always nag-“

“I’m moving to Seoul. I’m leaving today.” He finally looked at her, and he wished he didn’t. The colour in her face faded and her face went blank. “I’m moving to Seoul to become a police officer, Seung Im-ah… You know it’s my dream since I was a little boy… Seung Im-ah, please understand.”

It felt like a year before she finally spoke, “You’re leaving today? Why didn’t you tell me sooner…Do you not care about me?”

Why didn’t he tell her earlier? In fact, Jongkook received his acceptance letter two months ago, which he finally confirmed just three days ago. A part of him knew it was because he was a coward. A part of him was thinking of rejecting the Academy’s offer and staying in Pohang with Seung Im, at least until she graduated from high school. But the little boy inside of him knew he had to pursue his dream to protect his people – to protect Seung Im.

He was finally going to live his dreams of being a police officer, but why did it feel so bad?

Seung Im couldn’t stand her best friend’s silence anymore, and prepared to leave. Her face was still blank, but her words were malicious: “you’re really something, Kim Jongkook. Eight years of friendship means nothing when you can get out of this hellhole right? Well, good luck in life. Don’t ever talk to me, again. I don’t have a friend like you.”

Jongkook could only watch her leave. His best, no, his ex-best friend was slipping from his life. Well, he technically decided to leave first, right?

Jongkook could only choke back his sobs as he whispered to her disappearing figure, “Be well, Seung Im-ah…”

The hot chocolate that Seung Im left on the table turned cold, just like their friendship.

 

 


I hope this is okay - it's a lot harder writing than I thought T_T I have so much respect for writers everywhere.

Anyways, I think I will alternate from JK and JH's perspective with each chapter. Let me know your thoughts ^^

xo GH