The Lock

My Other Half

When I was 8 years old I hated soccer, but my father told me that it was a good sport for a man to play and I knew it will make him happy, so I started playing with the school team, in a matter of days I was already good at it and I made good friends with my teammates, soccer was a big part of my life back then. Then two years ago it just became boring and monotonous to me and I was more into draw, so I quit soccer back then.

The problem was when I got bored of drawing and I felt that I didn’t need the arts club anymore, I started to have a lot of free time and the depression kick in, I tried to get back to my soccer team but it was too late, it didn’t feel the same, the friendships were not the same, after one year the ones that were my very best friends had become strangers to me. I was just too lost and depressed back then, will things turn out to be different this time?

********************************************************

I was on the field of play under the hot sun at the penalty area, trying to figure out how I was going to break Hoony’s great wall. They needed a forward and I needed to prove them that I was what they were looking for. Apparently, their start goal scorer had to move just before the final last year and the team hasn’t been the same without him. Seung Hoon is the goalkeeper and he is the best in the league, Jinwoo hyung is the midfield player and captain of the team, Seung Yoon is a defender and is one of the keys why this team is called The Lock, but after that guy left they haven’t been very good at scoring. They lost last year’s final because the referee gave the other team a nonexistent penal and after that they couldn’t score a goal, they lost 1 to 0. They have improved a little bit since last year, but the opposing team this Sunday is the second-best team in defense and so far, Jinu and coach Lee Seon Woong haven’t figure out how to break their defense yet.

Everyone was staring at me and I could almost feel Jinu’s stare on my skin, there was something in his eyes, I think it was hope. I shoot to goal and I couldn’t believe my eyes as I watch Hoony falling to the left side of the box while the ball was going to the right side and then it hit the net. Everybody started yelling “Goooooooooaaal” and Jinu came running to me and hugged me.

- Did you saw that, did you saw that? – he started saying to Yoon while releasing me, Seung Yoon had his mouth open the entire time.

- Dude you never told me you were this good!! – Yoon said.

- It wasn’t a big deal. – I answered.

- Dude, Hoony is the best goalkeeper our age I ever met, he is always the MVP in all the tournaments we play. He is the great wall and you passed through him in the first try. – Then Hoony started walking to us while removing his gloves and Jinu grab him by the arm.

- Hoony you didn’t just let him score, right?

- No way in hell captain, Song Mino is good he totally fooled me with that kick.

- Well in that case go run 100 laps on the field – said a very furious Jinu.

- You’re joking, right?

- Do I look like I’m joking?

- Aich… I hate you hyung!!

- I hate you too, now go, go, go… I don’t want to see your face anymore.

Now I could see that the hope in his eyes had turned into happiness and I was feeling pretty good with myself to be able to evoke those feelings in him. He and Yoon were already planning a strategy with me on the team, then he turned to me again and grabbed my arm.

- So, Song Mino you’re joining our team, right? – asked Jinu with that same light of hope in his eyes.

- Well of course, that’s why I’m here for. – I was so nervous somehow having him so close to me and touching my arm.

- Okay, so officially we have practice once a week every Friday, that’s the day when coach Seon Woong comes. But since we’re on the midst of a tournament we have practice Monday and Wednesday by ourselves and Friday with coach. Are you up to that?

- That’s cool with me. – Oh, my God, my choice of words right now or should I say lack of words.

- Great, now let’s start guys stop lazing around --Then it started, I think I’m starting to understand why he is called captain evil, but that part of him I find it so cute, he is so focus, so committed and competitive, I need more of this Kim Jinwoo in my life.

After practice my legs were souring, no my whole body was in pain, how am I going to endure this three times a week? The sun was already setting when we were waiting for the bus, only Jinu hyung and I were left and I was admiring his side profile under the sunset light when the bus arrived and to my surprise we both got on the same bus, he walked to the seat on the back and I followed him sitting next to him. We spent the whole ride talking about game plays and strategy until he got off at his stop. I just can’t believe my luck, if I ever felt at least one ounce of regret of leaving home, is all gone now.