Final

Cu(t)e Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Words: 2503

 

“Why should we hire you?”

Five words that startled Mingyu from his nervousness. Calloused fingers wiped against black silk, cautiously and hoping it won’t get noticed. Mingyu wanted to wipe off the cold sweat dripping down his forehead. He could hear his heart thundering loudly inside his chest, as if it wanted to come out. The man repeated the question with ease. Mingyu looked at both sides, searching for an answer to the modern furniture inside the room. When the man raised his brow, the brunette knew he had to answer soon.

“Well, Mr. Kim?”

“Uh… I—”

 

 

Mingyu hated the rain. It always reminded him of sadness and sorrow. Every single time Mingyu wakes up to the sound of the pattering rain, it sends him back to his slumber until it ends. Not only that, every misfortunate event in Mingyu’s life happened under the pouring rain. It just happened that it loves mocking Mingyu. (Well he presumed; it always happens, anyway.) He stepped on the pebbled tiles on the floor, making its path towards their small porch. His boyfriend is into country-styled houses (He provides the money too, that’s why this was his pick.).

The wooden-tiled floor was soaked with water, as Mingyu shook of his blazer and hung it on the coat hanger. It’s uncharacteristic of him to do that, though. He removed his drenched shoes and placed it on the side, sighing as he switched to his slippers. When he opened the door, he could already smell the familiar scent of home.

 

Him.

 

“I’m home.” He muttered as he removed his dress shirt before placing it on a white plastic hamper. He could hear a soft bustling sound even when the hallway was dim.

He greeted the elder from the living room, who was watching a rerun from last night’s show. The only lights that were on were the lamp in both sides of the loveseat. He momentarily sighed again, taking a sit on the beige couch and lied down his head on Wonwoo’s lap.

“Oh, my ing God, Mingyu.” Wonwoo tried to push the younger away. “You’re wet. Get off the couch.”

Mingyu didn’t attempt to move. Instead, he turned around and faced Wonwoo’s stomach. “Hyung, I’m tired.”

Wonwoo gave up and chose to close the rummaging television. He ran his pale slender hands through Mingyu’s entangled hair, humming a song he heard a while ago as he browsed through his music playlist.

“What happened?” He asked. Wonwoo traced Mingyu’s earlobe before it went up to his brown fringe, moving it upwards and using the water left as its gel.

“Stuff.” Mingyu murmured under his breath.

“Did this ‘stuff’ happen to be bad stuff?” Wonwoo received with a hum. “Oh, Mingyu.”

“I don’t need your pity, Won.” Mingyu told the boy yet still nuzzled more under his warmth.

Wonwoo gave him a swat on his cheek and then he rubbed it too ooze the pain, “I’m not pitying you, .” He Mingyu’s hair. “Funny how you graduated in Communications.” He was far from accusing nor was he disappointed, yet he looked sad but still sincere. Mingyu couldn’t tell. He didn’t want to face Wonwoo and see what he looked like. Hell, it was hard for him to do so. Yet just four words caught him off guard and reminded Mingyu that Wonwoo never judged him (Maybe from the start, yes. But throughout their relationship, Wonwoo would interlace their fingers if Mingyu confessed something about him.).

 

 

 

 “I’m worried, you know.”

 

Mingyu opened his eyes and stared at Wonwoo’s. He unconsciously smiled when he saw how the dark lashes fluttered and how the black pupils looked like rare gems. He saw sincerity. That’s when Mingyu realized that Wonwoo is his own tranquility, the only thing that didn’t go wrong under the rain. He was the reason why Mingyu was doing this in the first place so he can help the smaller. Wonwoo may not share a lot about his work—leaving the important details out—but Mingyu knew he was tired. From the way he entered their house with pale and tired features and from the way he would get frustrated from one of his phone calls. Mingyu badly wanted to pay him for whatever the elder gave him.

“Mingyu?” Wonwoo proceeded when he heard a hum of acknowledgment. “Do you want me to help you?”

 

 

 

Mingyu felt good after the breakfast Wonwoo served. He rarely cooks and that made Mingyu happy that the elder was doing his best to cheer Mingyu up.  It was a good thing he didn’t burn the kitchen. (Unlike the last time when he left the stove unattended but Mingyu partially blames himself because he was tempted by that callipygian of Wonwoo.) They settled on the living room, across from each other with papers in hand.

“You remind me of my first time I was interviewed.” Wonwoo laughed as he reminisced. “I stuttered a lot and didn’t pass the company. But hey, life goes on and so does my list of interviews.”

Mingyu frowned, “How come you had a lot of interviews?”

“I’m not like you, pine tree.” Wonwoo smiled.

Mingyu chose to ignore the nickname and asked, “What do you mean?”

“I’m way out of the sight. Well, in most radars.” Wonwoo drawled out the word ‘way’ as he skimmed the papers.

“So how did you pass them?”

“With the help of those unsuccessful interviews, I managed to gain a little confidence.” Mingyu peered at him and he nervously laugh. “I’m kidding! In fact, I almost lost hope.”

“So, Jihoon helped me and told me to use cue cards.”

Mingyu laughed. The elder was too cute to take seriously right now. With the pink oversized sweatshirt and the circle rimmed glasses, who wouldn’t? Mingyu smiled sweetly as he coaxed him. “Such a cute young man in front of me.”

“Shut the up, Mingyu.” Wonwoo slapped his arm that was resting on the table. “I’m still older than you.”

Mingyu laughed again. This time, he could see how the whitish skin turned to pink, dusting Wonwoo’s nose and his cheeks.

“Why am I even helping you?” Wonwoo groaned, slamming the paper on the table.

“Because you love me.” Mingyu answered, grinning wide at him as he let out an exhale.

“You know what? I won’t be helping you if we don’t start soon.” Wonwoo frowned and Mingyu nodded to proceed. “I’ll be the boss, you’ll be the one applying—Well, obviously.”

Mingyu grinned, “Go now, and start.”

“Tell us something about you.” Wonwoo started and Mingyu sat upright.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter