Just Want To Belong

Another Brick Wall (To Break Down)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wedding preparations are tiring, especially when the union is for show only. Jungkook sighs deeply as he turns the page in the study guide. He’s been sitting cross-legged on the floor for the past hour, learning about the Red Tribe, and what he’s discovered is that the two nations are not all that different. The kingdoms share many of the same customs and rituals, and the knowledge has Jungkook feeling less nervous about the pending nuptials.

“What ya doing,” Taehyung bounces into the room, filling the once quiet corners with happy sounds.

“Studying,” Jungkook replies gloomily.

“Sounds boring, wanna take a break?” The response should be no, and Jungkook knows this.

“Yes, I do. I’m going cross-eyed from all these words. A break would be lovely.” The young prince smiles at his Gentleman in Waiting.

“Excellent!” Taehyung exclaims with a clap. “I have it on good authority, namely Jimin, that Prince Hoseok is in the gym practicing fencing. Wanna go spy on him?” Taehyung asks with a devilish chuckle and a wink.

“I-I don’t know. What if he doesn’t want me there? I don’t want Hoseok hyung to feel like I’m intruding on his personal space.” Jungkook runs his hand through his dark locks as he contemplates his decision.

“Please, intruding in each other’s personal space is the literal dictionary definition of marriage. Ask my parents. Plus, if you want Hoseok to start noticing you, you’re gonna have to put in the effort. He needs to see you.” Taehyung gives Jungkook another mischievous wink. “Today’s plan is to be everywhere Hoseok is; the goal is to force him to get used to having you around. That way when we take the presence away, and we will, don’t give me that look, he’ll miss having you around, and then he’ll be the one seeking you out,” Taehyung responds with such confidence Jungkook almost believes the plan could work.

“How can you be sure? What if he just feels relieved?” Jungkook questions.

“Please, I have read every teen-girl, how-to-get-the-man-of-your-dreams magazine there is. I’m an expert now. And I may or may not have used some of my knowledge on the adorable Park Jimin, you know, for science,” Taehyung adds quickly, causing Jungkook to chuckle.

“Mmm, science, sure. Alright, let’s do it,” Jungkook says as he gets up off the ground.

His knees crack from having sat too long in one position. Jungkook stretches his limbs by jumping a bit to warm up his sleeping muscles. When he feels like his body will cooperate, he lets Taehyung drag him out of the room, down the hall, and to, Jungkook believes, his doom.

Walking to the gymnasium is somewhat of a trip through the history of The Red Tribe as Jungkook and Taehyung pass majestic artwork that tells the story of the rise of the Red Kingdom. Sculptures and portraits line the walls and the halls as they make their trek to spy on Hoseok. Jungkook stops when his eyes fall on a statute that looks suspiciously like Hoseok.

The closer he gets to the face carved out of marble, he realizes that while the features are similar, it’s not Hoseok. The face Jungkook’s staring at has all of Hoseok’s sharp edges and angles but lacks the softness that graces the man’s eyes and heart-shaped lips. A grin plays across Jungkook’s face as his mind runs across Hoseok’s smile. When the red prince sincerely smiles, it casts this light that shines from the man’s soul and warms everything within its path. It’s Jungkook’s favorite feature, and one day he hopes to be the cause of one of those smiles.

“Hey, come on. Stop dilly-dallying,” Taehyung whispers loudly.

Jungkook turns, startled by the order; he honestly didn’t notice he had stopped so long.

“Coming, hyung,” Jungkook responds as he turns and trots toward Taehyung.

The room is long and wide, about the length of an American football field. The walls are lined with shields, each with differing insignias, and Jungkook wonders at the meaning of several. There are emblems he recognizes from his studies. A tiny smile plays across Jungkook’s features at finding a similarity between himself and the red prince. He doesn’t walk into the room; instead, he peeks his head around a corner wall and surveys the space. Two figures, dressed in mesh masks and white cotton protective suits which, Taehyung informs him after he asks if the outfits are safe, have a layer of kevlar on the top level of the uniform. Jungkook can’t see the faces of the fencers due to the masks, so he’s a both shaken and surprised when he realizes that he knows precisely which of the two fighters is Hoseok.

The match ends with a score of three to five, with Hoseok winning the practice match. Jungkook holds back his applause, not wanting to alert Hoseok to his presence.

“Hiding in a corner is very un-prince-like,” Hoseok’s voice cuts through the air, and Jungkook jumps, startled at being found.

“I-I, “ he starts without moving from his spot against the wall.

The plan was to apologize and make a quick getaway, saving himself from any more embarrassment. However, the plan is not to be because Taehyung, much to Jungkook's chagrin, places two hands on his back and pushes him into the center of the room.  Hoseok’s eyebrows raise questioningly at his abrupt, awkward entrance.

“Do you fence, Jungkook?” The red prince asks, quizzical look still coloring his sharp features.

“Uhm, I-I wasn’t allowed,” he answers the question quietly, remembering how his father had told him such things were meant only for those who are deemed worthy.

The memory stings, and Jungkook stares at the ground, not wanting to look at Hoseok, hiding the tears pooling in the corners of his eyes.

“Not allowed? Why on earth-” the prince stops suddenly, and Jungkook looks up immediately to find Hoseok’s eyes fixed on him with an intensity that Jungkook feels in his soul. “Do you want to learn?”

Hoseok voice is soft, inviting, and Jungkook reminds himself not to be fooled, not to believe that Hoseok feels anything beyond sympathy for him. He doesn’t answer the question initially.

“Gustave is a great teacher,” Hoseok says offhandedly. “Plus, the exercise will be good for you.”

“Uhm,” Jungkook answers hesitantly, “if you think it’s okay.”

“Why wouldn't it be okay? Jungkook, we are to be wed. You will soon be a crown prince of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter