BALLS AND WALLS

Another Brick Wall (To Break Down)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hoseok,” his father whispers close to his ear, irritation evident in the King’s tone, “you haven’t said two words to Jungkook. This ball is to celebrate your engagement.”

“Father,” Hoseok keeps his voice level, calm, almost mocking. “I know nothing about him. What exactly are we going talk about?”

“You may believe that I don’t understand what you’re feeling right now. I’ve experienced this same anger. The same resentment that you’re experiencing now coursed through my veins when my father told me I was to marry your mother, but look at Jungkook, just look. He has done nothing wrong, nothing to deserve your anger. This wedding will happen Hoseok; it’s up to you if the process will be enjoyable or not.” The king walks away, leaving him standing alone, staring at the young prince of the White Tribe.

Jungkook looks lost and hurt, and Hoseok feels ashamed of his behavior. He doesn’t want to marry Jungkook; he doesn’t know him, but he also doesn’t want to make the young man the laughing stock of the ball, giving rise to whispers of him being rejected by his betrothed. Raking his hand through his hair, he takes a deep breath as he walks towards the boy with purpose. A smirk plays across his lips as Jungkook stares at him in wide-eyed shock.

“Were you not expecting to spend any time with me?” he questions the young prince.

“I-I.” The splashes of red creeping along the boy’s chin and ear are adorable as, is the stuttering, and Hoseok continues to goad the White Prince.

“I know I’m good looking, love, but it’s a bit early in our relationship to be losing your words, don’t you think? Or am I more devastatingly handsome than even I know?”

“I’ve been sitting here for last hour watching you talk to everyone but me; I honestly didn’t expect you to speak to me at all. So, to answer your question, yes, you are very handsome, but no, it’s not the reason I am speechless.” Hoseok realizes at this moment that the boy is no mere cardboard cutout personality, but feisty and filled with fight.

He’s surprised by the young prince’s quick, no-nonsense response. Jungkook’s doing a fantastic job of knocking down the preconceived walls Hoseok has built up against marrying into the White Kingdom.

“Are you normally this blunt in your replies?” The question surprises Hoseok because it comes from a place of genuine curiosity.

“Only when the situation demands it.” Jungkook answer has Hoseok laughing out loud. There’s an honesty to the young prince that he finds both refreshing and humorous.

“Mmm, maybe having you around won’t be so bad after all.”

The words were meant to be a private thought not spoken out loud, but Hoseok realizes his error when Jungkook turns the deepest shade of red he’s ever seen on a human being. The White Prince is the color of an overripe strawberry, and Hoseok has a sudden desire to pinch the boy’s cheek. He fights the urge by sticking his hand in his pant pockets.

“Why aren't you sitting with your family?” Hoseok asks.

Jungkook shrugs while evading Hoseok’s gaze. He turns to the table not two feet away from where the young man sits by himself. The members of the royal family are laughing and chatting and seem to have forgotten their youngest member.

“I, uhm, wanted to be alone for a bit.” The statement sounds like a lie to Hoseok.

“You wanted to be alone in a room filled with people you don’t know?” Jungkook’s shoulders suddenly sag, and Hoseok realizes he’s hit a nerve. “I guess I can see that. These balls can be overwhelming. So Jungkook, do you dance?” He attempts to change the subject.

The boy looks up, and not for the last time, Hoseok chuckles at the sheer shock shining from the boy’s eyes.

“I-I’m not sure, uhm, I never-” Jungkook doesn’t finish.

“Wait? You’ve never danced with anyone before? Isn’t it a part of your royal studies?” It’s Hoseok’s turn to be shocked.

“Yes, it is. I’ve danced before, just not at a Ball or in front of, uhm, people who aren’t teachers.” Jungkook’s blush grows redder, and Hoseok’s flabbergasted at the sight.

“Well there’s a first time for everything, right? Jeon Jungkook, may I have this dance?” Hoseok bows dramatically, extending an arm to the flushing Prince.

Jungkook’s fingers are warm and shaking slightly in his grip as he leads the young Prince to the dance floor. The boy’s movements are stiff, as though he’s counting off the steps in his head. Hoseok snakes an arm around Jungkook’s waist, pulling him close.

“Relax, feel the music; you need to loosen up.”

“How exactly am I supposed to do that?” Jungkook’s reply surprises him. “I’m in a room filled with people who are silently judging me, dancing with my fiance’ who took an hour to come over and talk to me, who probably only came because he was forced or coerced in some way. Would you be able to loosen up under these circumstances?”

Jungkook’s words are shot in the gut. Hoseok’s usually quick on his feet, but the boy’s no filter responses have him feeling a bit out of his element. He’s used to quick retorts and snarky sarcasm veiled in humor when combatting someone who’s as schooled in the art of passive-aggressive warfare as he is, but the White Prince’s bare-faced honesty has him completely at a loss.

“Well, when you put it that way, I suppose not. For the record, I wasn’t forced or coerced to talk to you. Honestly, I’m not happy about this arrangement.” The words are spoken quietly in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter