Chapter Four

Your Voice

“I didn't think you'd come,” Kihyun says, giving the younger an incredibly bright smile. He stands from his seat on the bench, stepping closer to him. Changkyun tries for a smile as well, but is sure it comes out as more of a grimace than anything. He'd been feeling nauseous all morning, but he had come thinking that perhaps the fresh air would help him. It did, thankfully, until he saw the upperclassman sitting there in ripped jeans, a loose t-shirt, and dark jacket. Changkyun is sure he must model in his free time, like Hyungwon-hyung, because damn is he attractive.

“Of c-course I would,” Changkyun replies meekly, mentally chastising himself for his own stutter. He hopes to God he won't be like this all day. Kihyun only chuckles at the response, cocking his head to the side.

“You're cute,” is all he says. He then takes Changkyun's hand, and leads them away from the entrance of the park and towards the river. “So what do you want to do, Changkyunnie?” he asks, his tone sweetening as he says Changkyun's name. Changkyun tries to utter a response, but Kihyun holding his hand and saying his name in such a way causes his speech to devolve into an incoherent babble. Kihyun chuckles at this, pulling Changkyun closer to him.

“I,” Changkyun says, heaving a deep breath to calm himself. “I'm okay doing whatever you want to do…” Kihyun hums thoughtfully at this.

“Are you hungry?” he asks the younger, an idea coming to him.

“A little,” he admits. “I didn't eat br-breakfast this morning.” Kihyun in a breath through his teeth at this, clicking his tongue.

“That's not good, Kyunnie,” he instinctively begins to nag. “You should eat at every meal. You are still growing, after all, and it's important that…” He drifts off, noting Changkyun's light laughter beside him. “Yah! What's so funny, dongsaeng?”

“Are you always this… I don't know,” he murmurs, trying to find the right word, “parental all the time?” Kihyun laughs at this, shaking his head.

“I can't help it,” he shrugs. “My friends are such a mess all the time, I sort of just became the parent without meaning to.” He pauses, remembering that sometimes that's a turn-off for people. “Sorry,” he quickly apologizes. “I know it can be annoying sometimes.”

“I don't mind,” Changkyun mumbles, trying again for a smile. This time he's sure it actually comes across as one, judging by the older’s reaction. Kihyun's small smile grows, revealing both his eye smile and his dimples in one fatal swoop. Changkyun almost forgets how to breathe.

“Anyway,” Kihyun says, returning his focus to the problem at hand, “they've got some great food stalls here. Did you want to get something here to eat?” Changkyun nods, honestly a bit excited by the notion. He loves trying different food carts. Kihyun laughs lightly at the quick nod, and nods himself before leading them both to the food area.

 

Five food carts and many, many napkins later, the two sit with full stomachs at the riverbank. Changkyun watches Kihyun swing his short legs to and fro, leaning back on his hands with a small smile playing across his lips. He had insisted on paying for everything, since he had asked Changkyun out in the first place. He also doted on the younger nonstop, patting at his face whenever there was a crumb and pulling at his cheeks whenever he acted cute.

Changkyun was embarrassed at first by the attention, but he had figured out quickly that he could tease Kihyun right back, or deflect with some kind of pun, and only get laugh in return. He realizes he could definitely get used to this…

 

“So,” Kihyun says after some silence, turning his head to watch the younger’s reaction, “why didn't you say anything all those times you were watching the choir practice? Why did you just sit there staring for all that time?” Changkyun stiffens, gaze growing hard on the flowing water.

“I…” he says, unsure of what to say. He couldn't bring up his personal insecurities on the first date, that'd be way too much. “I didn't think there was anything to say, hyung… I mean, I was just so… so…”

“Enthralled?” Kihyun asks, a teasing tone in his voice. “Enamored? So desperately in love with my amazing voice you couldn't even form coherent thoughts?”

“Anyone ever tell you you're kind of full of yourself?” Changkyun teases back, lifting a single brow. Kihyun yelps out a high-pitched laugh resembling that of a hyena, causing the younger's smile to widen a bit. He leans over, resting his head on Changkyun's shoulder.

“All the time, actually,” he answers softly. Changkyun tries to read through his tone, to see if he's hit a nerve or something, but there’s no sign he has. Changkyun tears his gaze away before it becomes a stare, instead looking off into the sunset that's begun to paint the horizon.

Silence stretches between them, but neither really mind. It's a comfortable silence, which honestly is quite the new sensation for Changkyun. Usually silences around him are painful, the kind you have the intense need to run away from as soon as you can. Changkyun thanks his lucky stars he hasn't managed to ruin today yet. He leans his head atop Kihyun's, the older’s soft hair tickling his cheek.

 

“We should probably get going,” Kihyun sighs, breaking the silence. “I don't wanna get you home too late. I've gotta make a good impression with your parents, after all.” Changkyun laughs at this, regretfully standing with the older. “Did you take a bus here or…?”

“I walked,” he answers, smiling gently. Kihyun nods, tingling his fingers with Changkyun's as he begins to lead the younger away.

“I'll walk you back home, then,” he says simply. Changkyun nods, happy to be able to spend as much time with Kihyun as possible.

“Thank you for today, hyung,” he says in a small voice as they leave the park. “I had fun.” Kihyun hums, eyes drifting up to the sky.

“I really didn't think you'd come,” he admits, repeating the first thing he'd said to the younger at the start of the day. “I was pretty sure I'd scared you off completely yesterday in the cafeteria.”

“I was pretty surprised,” Changkyun chuckles, tightening his grip on Kihyun's hand absentmindedly, “but it was honestly pretty impressive, too. I mean, I could never be so forward. If anything, it made me want to get to know you even more.” Kihyun's eyes fall over to Changkyun's smile, another bright, dimpled grin coming to him.

“I can't tell you how glad that makes me.”

 

Changkyun doesn't live very far away from the park, and all too soon they're parting ways. Kihyun pulls Changkyun close to him for a moment, and steals a quick kiss on the cheek.

“Make sure to text me with your number, Kyunnie,” he tells him, his voice a mere whisper as he stares into Changkyun's eyes with a twinkling gaze. He then pulls away completely, winking at him as he says, “I hope to hear from you soon, dongsaeng.” Kihyun walks away after, not even bothering to look back.

Changkyun watches, absolutely flabbergasted. His heart beats a billion mikes a second. He's pretty sure he's about to have a heart attack.

I think I'm in love… he muses, a silly smile coming to him at watching Kihyun's proud saunter. He chuckles, never having pegged himself for being by such things before. In fact, all the other overly confident boys before he met Kihyun were some of the most annoying human beings he'd ever come across. However, with Kihyun, it totally works in his favor.

The transfer student goes into his home, avoiding his parents’ questioning gaze as he makes his way to his room. He drops onto his bed, staring up at his ceiling, seeing not the blank space there but the face of the beautiful upperclassman he'd spent the day with.