Chapter Two

Your Voice

“That was a great practice today,” Hoseok comments, bending over to zip up his bag. Kihyun hums in acknowledgment, and leans back as he drinks his water bottle dry. Minhyuk chuckles as he moves away from his friends, running a hand through his hair.

“I think we have a new admirer,” he says as he retrieves his bag from the row of seats pushed up against the wall. “I saw some guy staring at us from the doorway. It’d honestly be kind of creepy if he wasn’t so cute.” Kihyun stiffens at hearing this. He had noticed the boy, too, sure. After all, the kid standing there with eyes so wide it looked as if they were about to burst from his skull, and his jaw so low it looked like it was about to touch the floor was hard to miss. He had hoped, though, that he was the only one that noticed, for the kid’s sake.

“I didn’t see anyone,” Hoseok murmurs confusedly, glancing over at Kihyun for confirmation. Kihyun sighs, and moves away from the rest of the choir to get his things.

“He seemed like a third-year,” Kihyun finally says, “but I’ve never seen him around before.”

“I think he was that transfer student everyone keeps talking about,” Minhyuk interjects. “You know, that guy who’s lived abroad that all the girls are going crazy over.” Minhyuk sighs, adding, “Such a lucky third-year, getting to spend so much time with my Jooheonney when I can’t.”

“Oh, you mean Lim Changkyun?” Hoseok asks, perking up upon realizing who his friends are talking about. He then frowns again, glancing at Minhyuk questioningly. “You know Jooheon-ah, Minhyukkie?”

“Well,” Minhyuk chuckles, smiling coyly, “not officially. I mean, I know of him.”

“You should go talk to him, Minhyuk-ah,” Kihyun tells him for the umpteenth time, sighing exasperatedly. He then shoulders his bag, and leads his friends from the practice room and to the cafeteria.

“Since when did you have a thing for Jooheon-ah, Minmoongie?” Hoseok prods on, chuckling knowingly. Despite being one of the most outspoken members of their class, Minhyuk has never been very good at confessing his attraction towards others. The whole school thinks him to be a huge flirt, because of how touchy he is with everyone, so he’s cautious when it comes to true romance. Hoseok has a similar reputation, but it doesn’t stop him from going after whoever he wants.

“I saw him a few weeks ago in the library,” Minhyuk sighs wistfully, his eyes shining fondly. “He’s the absolute cutest thing I’ve ever seen, and his thighs looked so good in his uniform… I’ve been helpless ever since.” Hoseok laughs loudly at this, the sound echoing around them despite the din of students hurrying about. Minhyuk pauses, pouting over at Hoseok. “Do you know Jooheonney, hyung?”

“No, but Wonnie does,” Hoseok replies. An easy smile comes to him at speaking his boyfriend’s name. Minhyuk glances to Hoseok and Kihyun, laughing as he throws his arms around their shoulders.

“Look at us,” he comments, beaming at them, “dating a bunch of third-years. We’re no better than Hyunwoo-hyung!” Hoseok laughs loudly at this, leaning forward and hugging his middle.

“I’m the only one dating a third-year, Minhyuk-ah,” Hoseok reminds him. “Besides, Kihyunnie doesn’t seem that interested in Changkyun-ah.” Minhyuk hums thoughtfully, glancing over at the younger as his arm is shoved away.

“That’s because you’re not reading between the lines, as always,” Minhyuk tells him. “Come on, Kihyunnie. Don’t you think Changkyun-ah was cute, staring at you like you were the only person in the room?”

“He’s probably just never heard such amazing singing before,” Kihyun fires back, smirking over at Minhyuk. Minhyuk sighs, rolling his eyes.

“How can you say things like that so shamelessly?” Minhyuk demands, dropping his arm to instead loop it around Hoseok’s. “It’s unnatural for so much pride to be in such a tiny body!” Kihyun giggles like a hyena at this, shaking his head.

“It’s a gift,” is all he says in return. Hoseok chuckles at the typical response, and changes the subject to their upcoming concert.

 

Changkyun sits down at lunch with Jooheon and Hyungwon, staring dully down at his food. He plays with it for a moment with his chopsticks before putting his utensils down and propping his head in his hands. Jooheon glances at his friend curiously, pointing at Changkyun’s plate with his own chopsticks.

“Eat,” he commands, using the voice he usually only ever pulls out when volunteering at daycares. “If you don’t eat now, you’ll be hungry later, and I’m not going to hear you whine about that all day.”

“I’m not hungry,” Changkyun pouts, his eyes slowly drifting up to the second-floor balcony that wraps around the cafeteria. Hyungwon looks up from his book at Changkyun, concern flickering in his eyes.

“Did something happen?” he asks, doing his best to sound nonchalant. Jooheon shrugs, frowning confusedly.

“He’s been fine all day,” he replies. He then turns back to Changkyun, asking, “Are you feeling sick?” Changkyun visibly stiffens at the question, everything about him freezing in under a second.

“It better not be contagious,” Hyungwon comments, scooting further back in his seat to make his point. Jooheon chuckles, though can’t help but agree.

“If it’s so bad you can’t eat,” he continues, “then maybe your parents should come get you.” He pauses, waiting for a response, but it doesn’t come. “Yo, earth to Changkyun!” He reaches over, snapping his fingers in front of the younger’s eyes, but he doesn’t even flinch. Jooheon frowns, glancing in the direction his friend is staring. He leans back, laughing as he immediately understands. Hyungwon looks up in the same direction for an explanation, but only sees Hoseok, Minhyuk, and Kihyun walking to their usual table.

As if sensing his gaze, Hoseok glances over. His steps falter for a moment, but soon he’s leaning over the banister and waving wildly down to Hyungwon.

“Hi, Wonnie!” he calls affectionately, embarrassing the living daylights out of Hyungwon. He merely offers a small smile and wave in return, and thankfully his friends quickly pull him away, laughing at his outburst. Hyungwon looks around, and luckily no one noticed, too caught up in their own worlds to see. Jooheon whirls about surprisedly.

“You know Hoseok-ah?”

“We’ve been dating for a couple weeks,” Hyungwon murmurs softly, pulling Jooheon closer so as not to be overheard. “But, don’t say anything. My dad doesn’t know yet.” Jooheon’s mouth falls into a wide “O”, and he nods in understanding. Hyungwon’s dad is the principal of the school, and not exactly the most easygoing man. He still doesn’t even know Hyungwon is gay, much less that he’s been dating boys since middle school.

“Does he know it needs to be kept quiet?” Jooheon asks, a protective tone filling his voice. Hyungwon smiles gratefully to the younger, nodding.

“I’ve explained things,” Hyungwon answers. “He said that he understands.” Jooheon hums in acknowledgment, looking over to Changkyun and chuckling.

“Changkyunnie had a run-in with one of their practices today,” Jooheon explains. “I think he’s a bit taken with Kihyun-ah’s voice.” Hyungwon laughs lightly, shaking his head as he returns his attention to his book.

“If that’s the case,” he says, “then we should go to the choir’s next concert. It’s tomorrow night.”

“Sounds fun,” Changkyun murmurs slowly, the older’s words sounding like they’re miles away. He can’t tear his eyes away from the beautiful upperclassman sitting down with his friends, laughing madly at a joke that’s just been told. He chuckles softly to himself, unable to fight how much he loves to see the vocalist smile.

Jooheon reaches over and physically forces Changkyun’s head to turn away, and stare at his food.

“Eat,” Jooheon repeats, “or I’m going to force-feed you.” Changkyun nods, quickly picking up his chopsticks and shoveling food into his mouth.

 

Kihyun glances down at the first floor of the cafeteria, eyes scanning over the crowd. He feels as if he’s looking for something, someone, but doesn’t realize what or who until he finds him.

Lim Changkyun, Kihyun silently muses, smiling serenely as he watches the younger bend closer to the table to eat. He looks away upon realizing he’s staring, turning his attention to his friends instead. Hoseok is babbling on about nothing in particular, and Minhyuk is smirking at him knowingly. Kihyun quirks up a questioning brow, but Minhyuk merely shrugs in response, glancing over at Hoseok. Kihyun sighs, glancing over at Changkyun one last time before fully focusing on the meal at hand.