Hello

Something more Serious

That night


The last few hours had been uneventful. A nurse had just informed Jimin that he would be stuck in the hospital for an undefined time because of the high number of patients flooding into the hospital. He was wasting away, and it hadn’t even been that long.

After a while, another nurse, quite pretty, in fact, brought some dinner and tray for Jimin. As he ate, he imagined Jin knocking on his door multiple times before turning, crestfallen, and walking back to his car.

Man, Jimin thought, this day has been crap. And then, just when he thought the day couldn’t get any worse, it started thunderstorming. Jimin, being the manly man he was, never admitted it to anyone, but he was deathly afraid of thunderstorms.

As the rain fell in torrents and the thunder started, Jimin whimpered and sank back into his pillows. He closed his eyes, trying to shield out the lighting and thunder, but it wasn’t working. Then he heard a familiar voice. “Don’t be afraid, rainstorms are just God’s tears.”

“I didn’t know you were religious.” said Jimin, laughing ruefully. “Come to think of it, I don’t even know your name.”

A small laugh, and then the voice said, “My name is Taehyung. And I'm not religious. I just heard someone say it one day and it stuck with me. Your name is Jimin, right? I heard the nurses talking about you.” Jimin looked at the curtain, and said,”Why don’t you come over here, so I can see your face? I can’t move right now.” There was that laugh again. “Sure, I’ll go over there.”

The curtain ruffled and a skinny-looking kid, about the same age as him, stepped out. Jimin took him in; he looked fine, physically. His big brown eyes gazed at Jimin with an uncanny innocence, while his arms hung freely at his side.

“So,” Jimin joked, “You’re the mysterious voice from behind the curtain. Where’d you go when I was talking to you before?” Taehyung walked towards him and said, “Oh, I took a nap.” Jimin looked him over again. The kid really seemed perfectly healthy. Even if he had a disease, wouldn’t he show some symptoms?

“How long will you be in the hospital?” What’s wrong with you? “Oh, I don’t know.” Came the cryptic answer. Ok, Jimin thought. He let the issue go. He wasn’t going to look the gift horse in the mouth; he wanted company, and he got company.

“Come, you can sit on my bed. Just don’t touch the wires.” Jimin gestured to the hooks above the bed. “Ok.” Taehyung sat on the bed, and promptly said, “I've been thinking:, doesn’t it make sense that rabbits live on the moon?” Jimin stared at him inquisitively, smiled, and said the only thing that came to his mind. “You-You’re kind of weird, you know.” But, in spite of that, I kind of like you.