Getting To Know You

I Hope I Can Be With You

“Well, that was awkward,” Hoseok chuckled, once Jin had left. He turned back to Yoongi, who was tugging the hem of his shirt down nervously, not meeting his eyes. His cheeks seemed reddened, the tips of his ears slightly pink. Hoseok smiled. Obviously Yoongi had been more flustered by the interruption than he wanted to let on. “He has a point, though, about getting a warning system.” He leaned back down onto the bed, stretching both of his arms out in front of him like a cat. It just so happened that his hands landed back on Yoongi’s chest, and he just applied a little pressure in pushing Yoongi back down into a reclining position on the bed. “Now...where were we?”

“Hold on, I gotta text Jimin first,” Yoongi said, holding one hand up to stop Hoseok from lying down on top of him, his free hand grabbing his cell phone. Hoseok knew he looked crestfallen, but when Yoongi didn’t even look his way or offer an explanation, he outright pouted, letting out a little whining sound. Yoongi glanced over at him over the light of his cell phone and arched an eyebrow. “What?”

“‘What’? You say? I’m putting effort into seducing you, and you’re distracted already. Are you ignoring my seductful-ness?”

Yoongi stared at him with that blank face for a moment, and then the corner of his lip twitched into a smirk. “What I’m doing,” he answered, with a roll of his eyes for dramatic effect, “Is making sure Jin has a place to sleep tonight. So be patient.”

Hoseok gave a little chirrup to show that he was pleased. Look at my soulmate, cute and grouchy and planning for the whole night. But despite that, his instant reaction was not to wait with any level of aforementioned patience, but rather to bury his nose beneath Yoongi’s chin, almost knocking the cell phone aside with his shoulder as he moved in for more physical contact. Yoongi grunted in protest, but just shifted, allowing Hoseok to move where he liked. Knowing by the coolness of his skin that Yoongi was the cold-blooded type, he wriggled them both underneath the comforter this time, tucking their heads underneath and already feeling the warmth of their exhales heating up the small space between them.

“Are you really close with Jin?” Hoseok queried into the dim closeness of their little blanket fort, trying his best to resist temptation and not read Yoongi’s screen himself.

“Yeah, we’re close.” Yoongi’s voice was so deep and raspy, and it made his throat hum with the vibration when he spoke. Hoseok leaned into the sensation, drawn to it like a moth to flame, but he moved carefully so he didn’t hurt Yoongi’s neck.

“How close?”

“We’re best friends. Before today, he and I were the only ones we knew who didn’t have a soulmate.”

Hoseok thought on that fact for awhile, tempted to ask more about it, but feeling as if he shouldn’t. Perhaps it was too soon to push too far into that sort of thing. Yoongi set aside the cell phone at last, slipping it out onto the side table from underneath the blanket, then letting out a deep exhale and wrapping his arms around Hoseok’s shoulders.

“Are we playing hide and seek now?”

“Maybe. You got any more roommates to interrupt us?”

“Nope, just the one.”

Hoseok paused, tilting his head to the side. “Um...Yoongi? I’ve been wondering, why didn’t you react when we first met? Did you not feel anything?”

Yoongi blinked slowly. “I think I did. I mean, I felt something when you and Jimin came over to our table, but I don’t know what I would call it. It was just...something. But, at the time, I was so sure I didn’t have a soulmate, so… I think I just brushed it off.”

“Oh…”

Yoongi lifted his head up onto the heel of one hand, tilting his head towards him. He stared at Hoseok for a long moment. Hoseok expected the boy to say something, to move or shift. But when he just continued to watch him, as if inspecting every inch of his face, Hoseok felt himself smile shyly.

“Wha-at? Stop staring like that.”

Yoongi gave a slight pout with his bottom lip,contemplating for a moment. On impulse, he reached out and cupped the apples of Hoseok’s cheeks with his free hand. He had such high cheekbones. And when he smiled, even with his face half buried into the pillow, Yoongi could see the dimples forming. He was taller than Yoongi, was loud and exuberant and teasing. He was, basically, all the things Yoongi would not have picked out for himself. But now, with an unfortunate branding they both shared, Hoseok was marked for him and him alone. Sure, it was possible to just ignore soulmate marks and and all. Yoongi had known about that since forever. Yet, simply for the fact that the universe seemed to have willed them together, Yoongi was curious as to what qualities were hidden in Hoseok that allegedly matched his own. And having Hoseok designated as his? The possessiveness that was warming in his chest like flames catching? It was kind of pleasant.

“You’re pretty.”

Hoseok gave a giggle, a heart-shaped smile blossoming that was accented by a smile as white and bright as the sun. Hoseok he curled up, drawing himself in because the compliment had sent such warm butterflies through his whole body. “W-what are you saying all of a sudden?”

“You heard me, so I’m not bothering to repeat it.” Yoongi pulled his hand away from Hoseok’s cheek at last, shifting as if to move away from the boy to the other side of the bed.

“Nooo don’t go!” Hoseok wrapped his arms and legs around Yoongi and pulled him back in, effectively caging him with his own body.

For a moment, Yoongi didn’t react, and Hoseok, despite his teasing complaints, was inwardly panicking; wondering if he was trying too hard, if he seemed desperate. Then, Yoongi’s hand gripped down on Hoseok’s thigh - hard. It was like an iron grip, in all honesty. He looked over at the boy in confusion as Yoongi’s gaze met his, and the gleam in his eyes stopped Hoseok’s heart for a minute. Why does my soulmate have such pretty little eyes? Jimin claimed that Yoongi sometimes had scary expressions, but Hoseok had never seen any sign of that. And he couldn’t imagine a scary Yoongi, especially not when he craned his neck up and started laying kisses along Hoseok’s neck, lightly at the skin there and one hand starting to knead at Hoseok’s thigh. Hoseok gave a little hum - a perfect mix of half-pleasure, half-surprise.

He tilted his head so Yoongi had more access, his hand reaching up to run through Yoongi’s hair. His hand brushed against something, and he opened his eyes to look at Yoongi’s ear curiously.

“You have so many piercings…” Hoseok murmured, absentmindedly. “Six, I think?”

Yoongi stopped his work on inspecting Hoseok’s jawline with his mouth and arched an eyebrow at the boy. “Hm?”

“Oh, I like them,” Hoseok replied, offering reassurance to the question Yoongi hadn’t actually verbalized. “They’re pretty. I could never get my ears pierced.”

“Why not? I could take you.”

“Oh, hell no. I’m too scared of needles,” Hoseok laughed. Then, he jolted a little in shock as Yoongi moved to pull down Hoseok’s jeans with a harsh tug, moving in to slit his hand between Hoseok’s thighs, continuing kneading the muscles there roughly. “Wow, having fun down there?”

“It feels as nice as it looks,” was all Yoongi replied.

Hoseok smirked, suddenly squeezing his legs together and pinning Yoongi’s hand between playfully. The boy shot him a reproachful glare, and Hoseok laughed, wrapping his arms around the smaller male. “Take your time, we have all night, after all,” he hummed happily.

~~

“You’re an idiot,” Jimin snapped.

He and Taehyung had waited at the restaurant, the former knowing from experience that it was only a matter of time before Jungkook came slinking back, his shoulders hunched and his head buried between. The boy was taller than Jimin, but in moments like these Jimin actually felt like the older brother properly.

“I know,” Jungkook mumbled, kicking his shoe at the curb absent-mindedly.

“First, you make me promise not to tell; stupid, when you wouldn’t want to be left in the dark if your soulmate knew who you were. Second, you beg me to bring you along anyways; also stupid, since you know meeting your soulmate is, I don’t know, kind of a big deal? Did you really think he wouldn’t notice? Then, worst of all, you race out of here at the first sign of things going well, and make poor Seokjin think he’s done something wrong to make you hate him!”

“I don’t hate him..” The boy’s voice was small and low, and Jimin could barely hear what he was saying. He jabbed at the boy’s chest with a finger.

I know that, stupid, but Jin doesn’t! How could he, when you’ve been acting like meeting your soulmate is a dentist’s appointment?”

Jungkook winced. “I just...panicked. I’m sorry.”

“I don’t need to hear it, “Jimin growled. “Jin does.” His phone vibrated, and he pulled it out, recognizing the ringtone as Yoongi’s. He squinted into the screen, then sighed. “And now the poor guy doesn’t even have a place to sleep!? That was Yoongi asking if Jin could stay at our place tonight. Apparently him and his soulmate are ‘busy.’”

Taehyung arched an eyebrow. “That was quick.”

Jimin shrugged. “Some people…” He looked over at Jungkook, who was still looking dejected, when an idea struck him. He grinned, punching the boy in the arm. “A-ha! Jungkook, you’re gonna invite Jin to stay over tonight. And,” he smirked. “You’re gonna share your room with him tonight!”

“W-what?!” Jungkook sputtered, his face looking more colored, even in the dim streetlight. “Why can’t he just stay in your dorm? You’re already friends with him.”

“Because,” Taehyung chuckled, wrapping one arm around Jimin’s shoulders, “Jimin’s dorm room is already occupied. I’m staying over.”

“But...I can’t ask him that!” At the boy’s mutterings, Jimin just rolled his eyes.

“Stop messing around and go apologize to your soulmate. He deserves better than sitting out in the cold crying over you.”

Jungkook’s mouth dropped open, his eyes widening. “You...he wasn’t really...crying...was he?”

“Well, maybe not crying per se, but--”

Taehyung cut Jimin off with a, “Ah, no, trust me. This is my brother we’re talking about. If he’s not crying yet, he will be. Jin is too sweet for his own good.” He turned to Jungkook, narrowing his eyes. “You better get your together, Jeon Jungkook, or I’ll beat you up myself for hurting his feelings. And then go tell Namjoon about it, and once he finishes his soulmate’s period, he’ll beat you up.”

Jungkook paused, his lips. “Okay, I will. But first, I have to get my phone.”

“ your phone, go find my brother.”

“How am I supposed to find him if I don’t--”

You’re soulmates, lizard brain. Get out of here!”

And with that, Taehyung actually lunged forward, shoving at Jungkook as the boy started to run off towards the main part of campus. Flabbergasted, Jimin watched as Taehyung continued to chase his little brother down the street. After a moment, he realized that they weren’t coming back or stopping, and he called out a broken, “H-hey! Wait up!” But they were already at the end of the second block, and Jimin’s legs were no competition to their long strides. He gave it his best shot until they reached campus, then slowed to a painful half-jog, his lungs screaming as he pulled out his cell phone and called Seokjin.

He picked up without much of a hesitation, and Jimin could tell Jin was also outside. After getting his location, he momentarily dropped his cell phone to his side and shouted after the other two. “He’s near the library!”

Over his shoulder, Taehyung sent a thumbs up in acknowledgement, and the two of them disappeared around the corner. Jimin shook his head and placed the phone back to his ear, taking a few moments to get his breath back.

“You have Jungkook’s phone, right?”

There was a pause on the line for a moment, then Jin’s voice came low and sounded kind of guilty. “Um. Yeah. Do you want me to bring it to you tomorrow?”

He was just crossing the bridge when Taehyung jogged back up to him, breathless and grinning. “No need.” And Jimin hung up the phone, an unspoken question on his face as he welcome Taehyung back.

“He’ll find him now,” Taehyung beamed from ear to ear. “And now, I think we should get back to your dorm and have some fun.”

Jimin arched an amused eyebrow, “What are you talking about?”

“I mean you, me, and a pillow fort that’s supplied with snacks and privacy. And possibly something more.” He made a erted looking face so exaggerated that it had Jimin bent over in laughter.

“Yes, because pillow forts are the iest thing ever.”

“Everything’s y if you try hard enough.” Taehyung said flippantly. They both stopped in their tracks, and Taehyung facepalmed himself. “God, sorry. I’ve been hanging out with Jin too much lately. His puns are rubbing off on me!”

Jimin giggled, reaching down and taking Taehyung’s hand in his. It engulfed his own little hand, but he looked up at Taehyung with a smile.

They got back to Jimin’s dorm within a few minutes, and the warmth of the common room was a welcome relief. At the front desk, Namjoon sat fulfilling his regular RA duties. He grimaced as he clutched his lower abdomen, then stood up to take Jimin’s ID card to sign him in. A girl was perched on a little chair at the end of the desk, using the outlet to charge her phone.

“Are you okay there, dude?” She was a foreigner, cropped hair and pale skin, a rainbow colored scarf wrapped around her neck as she looked Namjoon up and down. “You on your period or something?”

“As a matter of fact, he is!” Taehyung laughed, making Namjoon shoot daggers at him with his eyes.

“My soulmate’s on her period. I’m feeling quite literal sympathy pains.”

“Ah, our dorm must be synchronizing. Well, for you.” She returned to her phone, then her eyebrows furrowed. “Wait. You have a shared-pain bond with your soulmate?”

“Yeah. They’re not as common anymore, though.”

“No…” she seemed to be mulling on the thought for a moment, her voice trailing off as she sent him a sidelong glance. “They’re really not..”

Namjoon reached into a nearby drawer, pulling out a sheet of paper and setting it on the counter in front of Jimin. Taehyung whined. “Aw, come on, Namjoon. Do we really have to fill out the stupid sheet every time? He comes over like every day.”

“Rules are rules, sorry.” Namjoon gave a little smile. Jimin signed the paper and marked the date and time, pushing it towards the older male before the two of them headed upstairs. Namjoon went to slip the paper into the correct purple folder and then hissed, looking down at his finger as a drop of blood appeared. “Papercut..”

“You’re ing kidding me…” the girl mumbled, letting her cell phone drop to the counter. He looked over and their gazes locked together, and then she lifted her arm and pinched it roughly between two long fingernails. Namjoon glanced down at the same spot on his own arm, his brows furrowed in confusion. Then, his face was washed over with realization, and he covered his hand with his mouth to hide a smile. “So you’re my oaf of a soulmate, huh?” The girl’s tone snapped like a branch, but her expression was soft. “Thanks a lot for breaking your wrist last year, you dunce. You deserve every period cramp you’ve experienced so far.”

“S-sorry…” He still wasn’t quite meeting her eyes, his expression shy. Smiling, she leaned over the counter, tiny waist balanced on the edge as she reached up and removed his hands from his mouth, revealing deep dimpled cheeks and a nervous of the lips.

“I’m Kiara. Nice to meet you. “

“I’m Namjoon, nice to meet you, too.”