Two

That's Good Enough For Me

I couldn't even sleep. I kept switching from side to side on my bed. My head was full of thoughts I didn't like to have.
What do I do now? Yesterday I was still a single man living a simple life. And now everything was screwed.
Do I continue with this show I'm trying to put up with Wonho? Or just toss it down the drain. I buried my face on my pillow and groaned hard. Why did I have to choose a huge flirt to be my so-called boyfriend!


---

"Wow! You look even crappier today. If that's even a word."
Why does Wonho always show up when I really do feel like crap. 

"And who's fault do you think it is huh?" I flipped him the finger. 

"Ohh~ I love you too honey." He winked at me, then he headed out to do his task.

I swear if I wasn't feeling drained I could've kicked him in the balls.

 

During my break, I wanted to have a smoke so I went to check my locker first. I needed to make sure that I have my lighter with me this time. When I opened it, there was a small box on top of my piled cookbooks. There was a note attached to it. 

 

I really am sorry :(

- W ♡

 

I put the note aside and opened the box. It was a cupcake. Red velvet. My favorite.
Despite being pissed, I couldn't help but smile.
Was Wonho always this sweet? And then I remembered what Minhyuk told me about all those people he slept with. Is this how he pleased every single one of them? With sweet nothings just to make them sleep with him.
I grabbed the cupcake, then took a bite aggressively.
Instead of it being a token of forgiveness, it just made my anger intensify. I swear I won't join those people that worship the almighty Shin Wonho. How did he even get this thing inside my locker? And why does he know my favorite cupcake? Stalker much. 


I dropped the empty box in front of Wonho. He was by the sink washing some dishes. He got startled, but smiled in an instant. 

"You liked it?" he asked.

"Yes. But you're still not forgiven."

I stormed away and didn't talk to him all day. 

 

I was dead tired, and in need of a good sleep. After work, I quickly changed my clothes and grabbed everything I usually take home with me. I miss my bed so much.
There was no one else in the locker room by now. Everyone has already gone home.

When I went out though, there was still a car parked in front of the restaurant, a black audi. I immediately noticed that it was Wonho's car.
Why was he still here? 
The window on the passenger's seat slipped down. 

"Hop in princess."

"Wonho please. I'm not in the mood. I'm tired. I just want to get home and sleep." 

"That's why I'm taking you home. Your place is kind of far from here right? You can even take a nap while on the way. I promise I won't be a bother."
He crossed a finger on his chest for emphasis. 

I sighed. I didn't have the energy to argue so I just went in. It would save me time, and of course, money. I'm cheap so I still use public transportation until now. 

"Do you want me to pull back the seat?" Wonho asked once I was inside.
I tiredly nodded. He grabbed something from the back seat and handed it to me. It was a small round pillow. It was pink. 
Why was he always so prepared? And why is it pink? 

I didn't have a chance to ask. Sleep got the better of me.

 


It felt like I slept for a whole day. Wonho's car was unbelievably comfortable.
When I opened my eyes, the car was already parked somewhere. Did we arrive at my house already? 
I looked outside the window and scanned the surroundings. I can't see my house though. In fact, I can't even see any house at all.
I sat up and turned to the driver's seat. I didn't noticed earlier but Wonho was not there.

I got out of the car and a chill welcomed me. I can hear waves crashing from the distance.
Waves? What the heck? 
I whirled around and got my answer.
We were at the beach. 
It's a good thing I wore a thick jacket today. 
I looked around, Wonho was sitting in the middle of the beach. Just far enough so that the waves won't hit him. He had spread a large towel by the sand, so he could sit comfortably. He even had a rechargeable lamp on his side. There was no one else around by this time. 

"Hey sleepyhead."
He smiled at me when he saw me come closer. 

"Shin Wonho! Why the fu---"

Wonho quickly got up and placed a finger on my mouth.
"Sssshhh. I told you to lighten up, didn't I. Let's just take a seat and enjoy the night. Look, the moon is so beautiful tonight. It's begging to be appreciated."

We glanced up in unison. He does have a good point.

 


"Did you prepare for this?" I asked. Wonho just got back from the car to grab a bottle of wine and glasses. He went to my side, then he suddenly draped a small blanket around my shoulder. The gesture made my cheeks flushed. 

He smiled shyly, and rubbed a hand on the back of his neck.
"It's that obvious huh?"

He was being real cute, so I looked away and distracted myself with the waves crashing by the shore.
I will not fall for the almighty Shin Wonho. I will not fall for the almighty Shin Wonho.
I recited in my mind like a mantra.

"I'm really sorry Hyungwon. Honestly. Won't you forgive me?" Wonho said apologetically, then he pouted. 

Foul! That was definitely a foul. Wonho and pouting was not a good combo. It's not good for the weak. And I mean myself. 
I gulped down the wine on my glass. I can feel my cheeks starting to burn.

"How did you even get that cupcake on my locker? And how did you know my favorite?" I placed a hand on my chest and gaped at him mockingly. "Are you stalking me?" 

Wonho laughed. "I had to beg the boss for a duplicate key. He couldn't resist my charm." He wiggled his eyebrows. And I rolled my eyes at him. "And as for your favorite, remember that time when we had a surprise meeting a month ago? Boss bought us cupcakes and you only chose all the red velvet ones."

I have totally forgotten about that.
"You know what, you really surprise me," I said. 

"Should I take that as a compliment or what?"

We both laughed. I drank more wine and savored the bittersweet taste. I stretched out my legs and a bit of sand went inside my shoes. The towel was too short for my long physique. 

We fell silent for a while. The air around us was not awkward or discomforting. It was pleasantly peaceful. The moon shining down upon us magnificently. 
And the both of us enjoyed the moment. 


It wasn't until past midnight when we decided that it was time for us to go. Wonho took me home, for real this time.
When we arrived at the front of my apartment building, Wonho didn't forget to tease me before I got out of his car. 

"So, how about that kiss?" he said. 
He leaned over to me, closed his eyes and puckered his lips. His perfect kissable pink lips. 

Because I was in a good mood, I decided to humor him this time. I planted a gentle kiss on his left cheek. It made Wonho open his eyes instantaneously. He rubbed a hand on the cheek I just kissed. He was obviously blushing. He smiled at me so sweetly. I swear that smile can cure any disease. 
I finally got out of the car and waved him goodbye.

"Goodnight Wonho. Drive safe."

"Goodnight Hyungwon. I hope you dream of me tonight."

 


I was taking my time walking up the stairs to our apartment. We were located on the third floor. The building had an elevator but I decided to take the stairs instead. I wasn't in a hurry.
It seemed like ages ago since the last time that I've felt this good. It was a break I never knew I needed.
And Wonho did it for me. I'm truly grateful for that. He can be so sweet and gentle, that for a moment I would forget all about his promiscuity. But I still don't have any idea if all of this was real for him or it was just a phase. Just another one of his many games.

The lights were out when I entered our apartment. When I opened it, there was no Minhyuk sitting in the dark this time around.
I quietly walked towards my room.
I slept soundly that night. 


---


"What time did you get home last night?" Minhyuk asked me when we were eating breakfast the next day. 

"You're seriously starting to sound like my mother Minhyuk."

"What? I'm just asking. And there's sand all over the place. Where did you go?"

This interrogation thing was starting to annoy me. But in spite of that, I answered him honestly.

"Wonho took me to the beach. We had some drinks. And that's all."

"Oh."
Minhyuk looked down on his food and ate silently. 

"How are you and Bora doing?"
It was my turn for questions. 

"We're okay. Just dating." He shrugged. 

"Oh, good. You should tell her to come over sometime," I said. But I wasn't being serious about it, if I'm going to be really honest. I can't stand them being lovey-dovey in front of me. 
I grabbed my empty plate and set it on the sink. I was just about to wash my plate when Minhyuk said something that made me drop the sponge I was holding.

"Why don't we all go out sometime? The four of us. Like a double date or something."

I didn't bother to turn around and face him. My face was showing all signs of disapproval.
"Are you sure that's a good idea? I thought you hated Wonho." 

Minhyuk laughed. "I don't hate him Hyungwon. Seems to me that you really like this guy. And he's treating you nicely. So why not? It would be fun."

 


It was my day off so I wouldn't see Wonho. We had no plans of meeting today either. I sent him a text saying I needed to talk to him. It's an emergency. But there was no reply. I tried calling him but he didn't answer. Maybe he was still busy with work.
I'll have to wait until closing time.
I busied myself with chores all day.

Then closing time came, but there was still no reply from Wonho.
Where the heck is he? Is he ignoring me?
I tried calling him again, but he didn't answer this time too. I guess I have no choice but to talk to him tomorrow at work.
All of a sudden our doorbell rang.
Who could it be? It couldn't be Minhyuk, he has his own key.
I shrugged. Maybe it was delivery or something.
I peeked through the hole by the door. My jaw literally dropped at the sight. 
The almighty Shin Wonho was standing outside our apartment.

"Why aren't you answering my calls!" I snapped at him when I opened the door.

"Sorry. I forgot my phone at home. I just read your text. What's the emergency?"

"Come in first."


We sat by the sofa and I told him about everything Minhyuk said. How Minhyuk insisted to have a double date this coming weekend. There was a mini concert at the park Minhyuk wanted to watch. And that we can't refuse. 

"What? That's the emergency? I ran all the way out here just for that?" Wonho said. 

"You have a car dimwit."

"Well, okay yeah. But I thought something major happened."

"This is major Wonho! What do we do now?"

Wonho placed a hand on mine and grinned, "Leave it all to me."

---


I never should've let him do all the planning. But I have no experience in this field so I had to put my faith in Wonho. Which I think was a bad idea, as I stare at myself in front of my full length mirror. 
I can't believe Wonho thought of buying couple shirts for us. The design was so tacky. In the middle of it there was a cat with a heart shaped pizza on it's head. I'm just relieved that he picked a color that I liked. Mine was black, while his shirt was white. 
We were in my room, getting ready for the concert. 

"Why did you make me wear this?"

"Why not? You look cute in that," Wonho said. He was sitting on the edge of my bed playing a game on his cellphone. He then got up and joined me by the mirror. He wrapped an arm around my waist and said, "See. We look cute together."

I so hate him right now.


It was 8 o'clock in the evening. Minhyuk had to fetch Bora earlier, they were now waiting for us outside. I felt embarrassed when I saw them. Unlike us, they weren't wearing anything for couples. 

"Hyungwonieeee!" Bora greeted me, and she gave me a tight hug.

"Hi Bora, long time no see." 

"It has really been a long time no? Gosh. You're so tall now. And so handsome."
She pinched my cheeks and smiled. Then she turned to Wonho, who was standing beside me. "Soooo, this must be the famous boyfriend."

Wonho and Bora shook hands. While Minhyuk and Wonho just exchanged curt nods to each other. 

"In the flesh," Wonho said.

Bora noticed our shirts. 
"Wow! Couple shirts. You look so cute!"

Wonho looked at me and muttered, "I told you."

"This is gonna be a great night!" Bora exclaimed. She wrapped an arm around Minhyuk. I felt my chest suddenly tightened.
Wonho then grabbed my hand and linked them together. I stared at him and gaped. He wasn't even looking at me, his signature smile was plastered on his face.

Wonho suggested that he could drive us to the concert venue, but Minhyuk wanted to take the bus and enjoy the trip. Wonho didn't push the issue further. I told him not to.


When we arrived, lots of people were already gathered at the park. It was a standing-only concert but we somehow managed to find a good spot. With my tall height, it wasn't even much of a problem.
I've never been on a concert before, so even though I didn't know the bands that performed I enjoyed it just the same.
All throughout the concert, Wonho never let go of my hand.

We decided to go clubbing after the concert. Well, it was mainly Bora's idea. I wasn't fond of clubs but the night was still young, so why the heck not. Bora knew this part of the city well. She took us to a club nearby. It was loud and crowded inside, but Bora seemed to be a regular here, she talked to one of the waiters and he lead us to two double-seater tables. They were the only ones available. We have no choice but to be apart. Bora and Minhyuk took the first one, and me and Wonho took the other. 
We ordered our drinks and some snacks.
We've been together all night but I haven't talked to Minhyuk since we left the house. Our seats were far from each other so we couldn't really talk in here too. I glanced over to their side, Bora was whispering something on his ear, then she kissed him on the lips. They both laughed and continued drinking.
I looked away and stared at my drink instead.

"Want some?" Wonho offered me some peanuts. He had an entire bowl of it, and was nibbling at them. 

"No. Thanks."

"Are you having fun?" he asked.

"Yes. The concert was great. It was my first time."

"Yeah. It's my first too."

I turned to him, in disbelief. "You're kidding me?" 
He laughed and shook his head.

"Concerts are not my thing."

"Then why did you agree to go?"

Wonho leaned closer to me and whispered in my ear, "Because I'm with you."

Then he kissed me gently on the cheeks.
I felt my face burning. And it wasn't because of the alcohol.

---

The next day, I couldn't stop myself from smiling. I thought I wouldn't even have fun with the date (because of Minhyuk and Bora obviously). But Wonho did a very good job of distracting me. 

"Someone's happy," Minhyuk said, when he saw me that morning. I was sitting by the sofa grinning like an idiot. He sat beside me and joined me in watching the AM news. 

"The concert was fun. We should do that more often," I said. 

"Yeah. We definitely should."

Then we fell silent. I didn't quite know what to say next. There was nothing in particular that I wanted to talk about.
When did I start being this awkward with him? 
I cleared my throat, and decided to break the silence. 

"You and Bora look perfect together," I said. I don't know why but it was the first thing that came to my mind.

Minhyuk smiled and he said, "Thanks. You look good together with Wonho too."

And with that statement from him, I started to think that maybe it was time for me to accept the fact that Minhyuk would never reciprocate my feelings. Even though he and I never happened, it was time for me to move on. 
I would always be just his best friend. 

Wonho's smiling face suddenly popped in my head.