Friends

Two Sides

Rudolph’s POV

In the evening, she brought back a basket filled with food. One look at it and I am beyond surprised. Those are traditional Italian foods. Something I eat back in my native country.

“How? Did you look me up?” I snarled while she flinched in response.

I wanted answers. I know she did not sell me out but I cannot push the thought away that she might betray me later. I mean, why not? I am a nobody to her. She might be on my mind for several hours, but that does not mean the feeling is mutual.

That alone sets my rage on fire.

“Yes and no?” She answered and I threw a menacing glare at her, demanding an explanation.

“Well, you called me lunatico and I went to google it. I figured you’re an Italian, so I thought I should prepare some food you normally consume. To cope with homesick and all.”  Taking in a close look at her, I detect nothing but honesty. For a moment, it did make me feel guilty for snapping at her like this. Having a job like mine, it is inevitable to feel paranoid, especially after the incident with Roberto.

I relaxed my tensed shoulders and loosened the grip hold on her.

“Oh.” The only thing I replied. I wanted to say so much more than that but my tongue lost its ability to speak. I am awed that she tried to prepare my native dishes. She didn’t have to but she did it without being asked. Such gestures messed with my mind as I ponder, how will it feel like to have her as my woman?

She did not seem to mind about my sudden outburst as she brushed it off aside and continued to place different dishes in front of me. My nose crinkled in disgust as I smelled vegetables. I never liked eating those tiny green spawns. They look awfully disturbing. She did not seem to notice my discomfort as she served a large portion of green into my plate.

“I dislike vegetables.” I said as I threw the vegetables a look. If they are a living thing, I would kill the entire population and feed them to the dogs.

“Pardon?”

“I am not eating those green disgusting sticky solid.” I said again.

What I did not expect next was her response. She threw her head back and laughed. I would have feel offended if it wasn’t her laughter sounded pleasure to my ears.

“You’re such a child” She cooed.

“I am anything but a child.” I protested while glaring at her.

“Who knows a stone can be so adorable?” She scooted closer to me as she pinched my cheeks.

With her being few metres away from me, I was so mesmerised with her beauty that I did not swat her hand away. My eyes shamelessly roamed around her face, salvaging every single detail of it. She has a pair of eyes filled with so much light that I cannot look away. I don’t want to look away. Both her hair and skin looked so smooth that I feel like running my hands over them repeatedly. Let’s not even start talking about her smiles. Those were to die for. I will do anything, and I mean anything, to make that expression stay permanent in her face.   

This new found foreign feeling I had for her scares me. I am a stranger to fear and that explains a lot. We barely know each other for sake and here I am, feeling strong connections with her? 

I wanted to own every single piece of her. Her mind, her body, her soul. Everything. 

“What is your name?” I blurted out suddenly.

She was caught off guard by my question and responded after a few seconds.

“Parisa Lowell.”

Parisa. I whispered to myself as my tongue tried to get use of its pronunciation.

I don’t think I will ever get tired of this name.

Parisa POV:

“Rudolph Romanov” He announced.

“Oh. That’s a nice name.” I complimented, not knowing what else to say.

“So Parisa, tell me, have you always been like this?” He asked while munching onto one of the breads I made.

“Like what?”

“You know, helping a stranger and all.” I pondered at what he said and gave a serious thought about it.

“I don’t know, I never really counted it or remember.” I replied honestly and that got him to laugh out loud.

“What’s so funny?” I frowned.

“You’re too innocent for your own good. There are times you have to do something that would benefit you. You should always ask for something in return.” He spoke, as if he is teaching a child.

“Someday, your kindness would get you killed.”

“But I am alive still, aren’t I?” I retorted while Rudolph shake his head and smile again.

That night, we had a heart to heart conversation. He told me about how much he loved his family and how dreadful he is to become a criminal. I do not know what kind of crimes he committed but as a man, he seems alright and normal to me. I told him about how much I miss being a kid, with no burdens or responsibility to oblige. No people that I have to please. Basically, we went on telling each other about our lives and culture. It was so different that I felt like we are living in a different dimension.

He had to grow up to become an adult at such a young age whereas for me, I was very well-protected. I know that he is a dangerous man. I should dial for the police but here I am, sitting right next to him. What makes the entire thing scarier is the fact that I do not seem to mind. I kind of like him as a friend. Most of the times, you only open to friends you hold dear to. However, I feel that precisely because they are close to you, there are many things you can’t tell them, especially when your actual feelings and thoughts do not tally with what they expected you to be. Not because you don’t trust them, but simply because you do not wish to jeopardise the friendship.

On the other hand, Rudolph is a stranger and foreigner. He will leave once he gets better. For that, I seek comfort in pouring my heart to him. I mean, I do not know him which is why I can tell him everything without risking anything I have in my life. Similarly, he could also share his and be assured that it’s safe. I mean, what else can we do to each other? Our country’s origin is like few hundred miles apart. Even if we did spread the stories out, who would believe us? A soon to be doctor and criminal sharing the life stories to each other. Something uncommon and since it’s not normal to people, they cut it out and would never take it seriously.

We continued talking till late dawn. Nothing indecent happened between us. It was a pure conversation. However, I do get to know Rudolph better. He might have a strong front but he actually has a soft heart. Just like any boy next door, he wanted to live his life too.

The next morning, I was cooking breakfast for Jack and Rudolph. As I arranged the plate into the basket, Jack’s hugged me from behind and greeted me with kisses. I confided into the familiar warmth and feeling. I am contented, but I do not feel the sparks or connection.

“Good Morning, baby.” Jack’s lips grazed past my ears and I leaned backwards.

“Breakfast is ready. Let’s eat.” I said but he refused to bulge and trapped me under his arms.

“I have a better idea.” He said huskily as his hands roamed to my lower region.

“Jack… We should wait till the marriage.”

“Gosh. Don’t be such a prude. You’re my fiancé. It’s okay to do it.” He remarked and started to lift my shirt up. I tried my best to push him away but he has no intention of giving in.

Sighing, I felt that I should let him do it. I mean, we are a couple and its normal to do this, right? As I was contemplating whether or not should we carry on, a loud bang can be heard at the door.

Once again, I was saved by whoever that was outside.

“I will go get the door.”  I immediately ran off without hesitation. My fingers twisted the doorknob on and I was greeted by nothing but air. I let my eyes roamed around, I managed to catch a glimpse of a coin with a small note attached to it. Bending my knees to take a closer look at it, the letters were written in cursive handwriting:

Thank you for everything that you did for me, lunatico.

I owe my life to you. If you ever want or wish for anything and I mean, literally anything, I would be at your disposal.

Or if you ever come to my homeland, drop by at the place I told you before and show them the coin.

Have a nice and happy life with your lover boy.

 

-you know who

 

After reading it, I folded the note and shove it into my back pocket. Shifting my attention towards the coin, I flipped it around to see if there is anything special about it. It was a normal coin with two different human head that was in different colour: black and white. In the middle of it, R.R. was carved with delicacy and an anchor was surrounding the word.

I might not be a professional in analysing coin, but I could tell that it means a lot to Rudolph. With that, I carefully place it into my right pocket and promise myself that I would take valuable care towards it.

“Honey, who was it?” Jack emerged from the kitchen and asked.

“Oh, no one. I think they must have left. Come on, let’s eat some proper breakfast now.”