The Meet

Two Sides

Parisa POV:

After waiting for Jack to fall into a deep slumber, my barefoot padded through the room as I snuck my way out. I tried my best to remain as silent as possible since I do not want to create a fuss. The whole marriage thing still did not settle in well with me. I need a moment of peace to figure it out, and the house was not exactly the best choice either. I must get out of here and think this through. While I was walking down the stairs, I grabbed my small bag and smartphone before I head out.

No idea where to go, I let myself roamed around the woods at the back of the villa. Although I always look timid and shy, such late-night adventures thrill me. 

Using my phone as a flashlight, I pulled out the old map from my bag for directions. Inside the map, the location of the waterfall was circled in red. After estimating the distance, I sauntered my way towards the desired destination.

The walk was normal. Nothing special happened. Once I reached there, I gasped at the stunning view. The waterfall was blue, like bright blue, as if neon blue light sticks were hiding beneath. It stood there, looking full of pride as it tumbled down the mountains.

I am awed by the beauty of it as I took a step closer which caused me to trip over a huge stone as I fell flat on my face. I winced at the impact and put both of palms on the ground to support me.

“Stupid Stone” I commented and gave it a few more kicks.

It felt hard but soft at the same time. That got me to ponder whether a rock can feel so squishy.  As I thought that it is a unique stone I discovered, I feel a sense of excitement waved through me as I let my hands freely roam around it.

“Since I cannot bring you back home, I shall touch you more. You feel so good and touchable; unlike other stones, I have encountered.” I whispered slowly towards the non-living thing.

“I will name you as the flabby stone.” I giggled towards myself at the new-found nickname for it.

What I did not expect was for it to talk, or rather scoffed.

“Have you done molesting me?” The voice deadpanned, and I froze on the spot. I immediately removed myself from it as I started to tremble in fear.  

“You can talk?” I squeaked.

“Damn right I can” The voice yelled but coughed at the same time. It has a baritone tone, leaning on to the masculine side. I do not think any mundane can have such a deep voice.

“Are you the stone of God or something? I am sorry if I disrespect you in any way.” I bowed towards it, not knowing if it can see me in the dark.

“You got to be kidding me. Stone of God? Did you live under the rock for such a long time that you start worshipping one now?” He meant to be sarcastic, but due to his heavy panting, it sounded like a rooster calling for help.

“Motherer, I can’t believe I met a lunatico. Here I thought, I might have a chance at survival.” He ranted on and on about how this is the worse day of his life. His words stirred something in me. Lunatico? Survival? If he is a god of stone, he has no reason for wanting to survive. He is practically formidable and all. Sensing something is wrong, I quickly scrambled around in search of my phone, with the flashlight shone on it – him.  

“O-h my g-od. Y-you’re a h-uman” I stuttered as he squinted his eyes.

“No , I am the stone of God. Now can you please stop shining that thing on me. It's not good for the god’s eyes.” He barked while his arms were clutching towards his chest.

I grimaced at his choice of words, but I obliged either way. I put my phone on the side so that we could still have the source of light without irritating his eyes. And now, I wish I could dig a hole and jump right in. I mistook a human as stone. It is so embarrassing. But in my defence, he laid down there and never utter a single word. Then again, he is in a pretty bad state. I mean this man is clutching towards his chest and coughing as if he is going to die anytime soon. 

“You’re injured” It was a statement, not a question. 

“None of your ing business” He snapped weakly.

Ignoring his harsh words, I yanked his arms away from his chest and ripped his shirt open. There is no time for any pleasantries. I had to check what is exactly wrong with his body.

“What the hell you think you – “He wanted to stop me, but he does not have enough strength to do so. As I started to inspect his body, I saw two holes pummelled through his left chest. To have a better look, I flashed the light at him.

Bullet wounds.  

How is he still alive is beyond me.

From the looks of his facial expressions, those wounds are not the primary cause of his pain. Most probably his heart is instilled more towards the right of his chest. As I see him sneaking a few glances down his lower region, I begin to form a theory.

I asked, “Can you feel your legs?”

“Leave me the alone.”

“If you do not wish for a crippled life, I suggest you start cooperating now,” I hissed, feeling afraid for his well-being. I mean he is a rude stranger, but that does not mean I wish to see him suffer.

“No.” He replied as he looked the other way. I instructed him to turn around while I lifted his torn shirt slowly. Another similar hole was punctured at his lower back, dangerously close to his spine.

“You need immediate assistance. I have to send you to the hospital now.” I remarked as I started to dial for an ambulance.

“No. I cannot go to the hospital.” He yelled and snatched my phone away from me.

“You’re in a critical condition. You need proper treatment!” I let out an exasperated sigh.

“You will be my treatment. You sound like you know what you are doing.” He retorted.

“I have not obtained the license to practice yet.”

“Keyword: yet. Means you’re a half doctor.” He continued

“No no. I don’t think you understand. I never operate a bullet wound before.” I wet my lips and explained.

 “You said my life is in danger, yes? Enough with the bull crap and get on with it.”

“I… I…”

“Look. I am not going to the hospital, and I do not wish to die here either. I still have many things I need to do. You can take me as a practical test or something. Just get those damn bullets out.”

Before I could agree with this insane idea, he passed out from the pain. I have no time left to think, and I let my instincts take over as I begin my first ever operation without assistance.

As of now, I did not care about his identity or background. All I care about is that he is a human and this is a life we are talking about. 

We can worry about the rest later. 

“Okay. Okay. Calm down, Parisa. You got this.”

As I went to retrieve my bag, I quickly shoved out the mini first aid toolbox which brought it to everywhere I go. With a quick check on the various equipment, I took out the pocket size knife. I know it is dangerous to operate in such environment, but it is not like I have a choice.

I will make do with this.

Please let everything be alright.

And it begins.

 

Rudolph’s POV

The sunlight woke me up as I groaned in displeased. I could feel my heading pounding in madness while I try to pry my eyes open. Taking in the surrounding, I am glad that I did not end up in the hospital or I will bring more troubles to myself. My throat felt dry as I struggled to speak.

I could still vividly remember everything that has happened. Someone shot me and dumped my body over the hills. When I was awake, I wanted to get up and leave, but I could not move. At all. My limbs are still intact, but it is holding a riot. It did not want to function.

At that same exact moment, I felt all the emotions that I never experienced. Especially helplessness and hopeless. I, Rudolph Romano, the man everyone fears. To say I ended up in such state is pathetic. I had been betrayed, survived the captivity and escaped away from the army of thugs. , I also went through the gates of hell once and still breathing. I mean, I am being shot several times for goodness sake.

I was not one who believe in deities and gods. The only thing I ever believe in is myself. For me to be able to be alive is something I cannot understand but grateful for. So yes, I am appreciating whichever thing is helping me to breathe and not take my life away. Whether I believe in them is a whole new, different story. As long the thing gets me what I want, I could care less about their existence.

“You’re awake” The same gentle voice spoke. It was after moments before realisation hits me. She is the lunatico who mistook me like a stone. I can’t believe she is a doctor with such little intelligence of hers. Maybe she bought her certificate using the money. Well, no matter what, she did save my life, and I do owe her for that.  

Funny how a person like her ended up being my saviour.

“Hello? Are you there? Can you move your legs?” She asked again, and I quickly flexed it before nodding at her.

Limbs are functional. Good.  

“I have stitched up the rest of your wounds, and if there are no unexpected issues, you should be alright.” She explained. “But still, you need to find a professional doctor to ensure everything is fine.”

“Till your body gets stronger, have an ample amount of rest. I will come back later with food.”

“Wait. Where is this place?” I tugged as her arms. She knows I am a criminal since I told her not to bring me to the hospital. What if she plans to turn me into the police right after I am well? I cannot afford to let her leave.

“An abandoned house I found while dragging your body out of the woods.” She replied

“And where are you heading to?” 

“Back to my place, to get you food?” She frowned at my question.

“How can I trust you? You might hand me to the police right after this.”

“If I wanted to do that, I will have done so when you are in a coma. Not when you are awake.” She spun around, feeling accused.

“Ungrateful stone.” She scowled. I searched for any gesture that shows signs of lies, and I found none. She is, for one, genuinely trying to help me.

“I appreciate everything you do, especially not exposing me,” I said in a monotone. I am no expert in showing gratitude. At least I got those words out which is good enough for me.

“That’s very sincere of you.” She muttered under her breath.

“I try,” I said as I shrugged my shoulders.

“Whatever. I got to go.”

“Oh. Before I forget, do not leave the bed. Are we clear, mister? If I see you moving an inch of your body, I will not hesitate to strap you, like a gum sticking onto that bed” She put both of her arms on her hips as she narrowed her eyes at me. I can’t help but chuckle at her attempt of trying to be intimidating. Usually, women around me never dare to utter a single word, let alone to command me to do things. Do not get me wrong; I do not fancy being instructed by a female. In fact, I prefer submissive women who literally worships the ground I walk on.

But for some weird reason, the way she says it make me feel at ease. It is true that I dislike the way she speaks to me, but I did not, not dislike it either.

Feeling rather chirpy, I made an effort to annoy her. 

“Make sure the material is durable. I am pretty hard to contain.” I remarked, “Never took you as the type of person who is into such exquisite .”

“Huh?” She sounded confused as her brows knitted together. I could tell she was trying to figure out what I mean.

I smirked at her innocence, “I am ready whenever you are. After all, I am in no position to reject the offer from my saviour.”

She looked at me as if I was mad and I grinned even further. Maybe I should  just a little more. As I begin to pull my pants down, her eyes widened. Finally, she knew what I am referring to.

“I- don’t mean it like that. Oh, my God. Please stop.” She blushed furiously and flapped both of her hands, wanting me not to strip.

“Are you sure? Take it as a repayment. I do not mind.” Guiding her arms towards my boxers, she started to scream and bolted out of the house.

I laughed at her reaction as I adjusted my position in the bed. The pain has subsided, no longer that excruciating. As I stare at the ceiling, I started to make plans for my revenge.

However, my mind wandered off to a particular girl instead. There is something about her that attracts me.

It could be lust.

It could be me wanting to repay her.

Or it could be something more than that.

I have no idea what it is, but I am about to figure it all out.