Second Wife

마법사와 왕자(The Sorceress and The Prince)

Irene and Prince Bogum were dueling for about an hour already. Irene kept on teaching and coaching the prince on his mistakes and how to correct them. They were interrupted when RapMon-sangseon appeared after a flash of bright light. 

"Gongjunim, wangjanim," RapMon-sangseon greeted. 

Prince Bogum looked around to see who the Head Eunuch greeted as the princess. Then, he realized that at the temple a while ago, Irene called herself the sister of Emperor Gwanggaeto. 

"What is it?" Irene asked.

RapMon-sangseon said, "We arrived at the temple but we saw it burning. The Emperor requests Prince Bogum's presence immediately."

Irene nodded and said, "Wangja, you should go."

Prince Bogum nodded and said, "Where should I go to see you again?"

"At Prince Jimin's house," Irene answered. 

Prince Bogum nodded and placed his hand on RapMon-sangseon's shoulder. After a flash of light, the two disappeared. 

 

All the Princes and Empresses were at the court in front of a rather complacent Emperor. 

"Crowned Prince Jin went to the Temple of the Tongueless Vampires," the Emperor began. He observed that only Prince J-Hope and Prince Jimin were surprised. The Emperor continued, "But it was already burning to the ground. I know that the assassin cannot testify, but the monk-in-charge could have been interrogated."

"Pyeha," Empress Boa asked, "With all due respect, why--"

"Do you know who owns that temple?" the Emperor cut Empress Boa. 

As silence answered the Emperor, Prince Bogum said, "It is owned by Empress Kahi."

Princes Jimin, Jungkook and J-Hope looked at Prince Bogum. Prince Suga was looEmperor alarmed. Empress Kahi blurted, "Are you accusing me of planning to kill the Crowned Prince?!"

"Anyone would assume so," Prince Bogum answered.

Prince Suga suddenly knelt in front of the throne and said, "Pyeha, I was the benefactor of the temple on behalf of the Kahi-hwangho. If someone should be punished, it should be me!"

"Ani," Empress Kahi said, "If the son will be punished, then the mother should be punished as well."

"I burned down the temple," Prince Bogum declared. 

Everyone else looked at Prince Bogum. The Emperor looked at Prince Bogum curiously and said, "Neoga (You)?"

"I am afraid that it will cause a disturbance in the Royal Family, Pyeha," Prince Bogum answered. 

"Masseumnida (It is correct)," Prince Jimin added, "It is turning us monarchs against each other."

The Emperor hit the table in front of him with his hands. The Emperor said, "Anyone who threatens the life of the Crowned Prince threatens the Throne and me. Understand?!" 

"Ne, Pyeha," Everyone else answered. 

 

Prince Jimin was walking back towards his home when he noticed that someone was following him. When Prince Jimin looked back, he saw Prince Bogum following him. 

"Prince Bogum," Prince Jimin greeted, "Where are you going?"

"To your house," Prince Bogum answered, "I need to talk to someone there."

"Nugu..(Who...)?" Prince Jimin asked. 

Prince Bogum passed Prince Jimin and continued walking. Prince Jimin, curious, continued walking. As the two princes entered, they saw Irene and Seulgi with other servants in a patio. Lady Soyou, looking very pale and being assisted by one of the maids, greeted the two.

"Wangjanimdeul," Lady Soyou said weakly.

"Wangjabuin (Prince's Wife)," Prince Bogum said worriedly, "Gwaenchanashimnikka? (Are you alright?)"

Prince Jimin immediately assisted his wife as Lady Soyou answered, "Ne. I am enjoying how my cousin and Joohyun are actually enjoying making bathing soaps for us and the Empresses."

Prince Bogum looked at Irene. He called, "Joohyun-yang!"

Irene saw Prince Bogum and smiled. She excused herself and went in front of the prince. 

"Ne, wangjanim," Irene bowed to Prince Bogum formally.

Lady Soyou asked, "You know each other?"

Prince Bogum replied, "We just bumped into each other the other day. I did not know that she resides here. If you excuse us, may I talk to her for a while?"

Prince Jimin was about to protest, but Lady Soyou answered, "Ye, wangjanim."

Irene bowed down to  Prince Jimin and Lady Soyou, and then went with Prince Bogum aside to talk. Prince Jimin had a stiff expression while watching Irene and Prince Bogum talk as they walk. Lady Soyou and Seulgi saw this. Seulgi shook her head and continued working. 

As for Lady Soyou, she said, "Wangjanim, you should get another wife."

"Mwo?" Prince Jimin asked in surprise.

"I am not healthy to bear you an heir," Lady Soyou said, "Do not worry. I assure you that our family will still support Empress Boa and your household."

"Buin..." Prince Jimin said as he looked at Irene. 

Suddenly, Lady Soyou fainted, alarming the others. Quickly, Prince Jimin carried Lady Soyou to and inside her room, followed closely by Seulgi and Irene. The prince set his wife down on her bed, and Seulgi helped to arrange so that Lady Soyou can be comfortable. Irene stepped outside, and Prince Jimin followed her with his eyes. Seulgi stared at the prince for doing so; as the prince finally removed his gaze from Irene, he noticed Seulgi was staring at him.

"Wae?" Prince Jimin 

Seulgi's tears fell suddenly. She said, "You are so insensitive, wangjanim."

Shocked, the Prince was frozen on his spot as Seulgi tried to go out. However, Seulgi stopped as she saw Lady Soyou stir in her sleep. 

"Wangja...Nim...Can I....Speak...To you alone?" Lady Soyou spoke softly and weakly. 

Seulgi wiped her tears, bowed, and went out. 

 

"Is she okay?" Prince Bogum asked Irene as the latter went to him. The prince waited for Irene outside Lady Seulgi's room. 

Irene answered, "I don't think there is much time for her. Her energy...Is very weak."

"How can you feel these things? How have you learned to do these things?" Prince Bogum asked. 

"I told you before right; Try living for more than a hundred years," Irene said with a chuckle, "You learn a lot; I still learn a lot nowadays...Like how disgusting Palace politics is."

Prince Bogum sighed and replied, "If my mother is not that greedy, then the Palace would be a quieter place."

They heard footsteps and turned to see Seulgi crying. Irene immediately went to Seulgi, Prince Bogum following closely. 

"Musun-iliya? (What is going on?)" Irene asked.

Seulgi shook her head as she hugged Irene. Irene looked alarmed; Prince Bogum gives a reassuring look to appease Irene. 

 

"Buin," Prince Jimin asked as Lady Soyou tried to sit up, "What will you say? You can just lie down."

"Take Irene or Seulgi as your wife," Lady Soyou said, "Better if it is Irene, for I see how you look at her. Seulgi...Seulgi might not like it, but if in case my family threatens not to support you...Seulgi..."

Seulgi suddenly barged in and said, "What are you saying unnie?!"

Lady Soyou reached for Seulgi. Seulgi went near the bed and held Lady Soyou's hand. "I am weak...And you're a beautiful member of the Kang family. They will not hold you a pawn for power. You can strengthen the support to Prince Jimin, as you are close with the Crowned Prince. Take care of..."

"Unnie, rest," Seulgi said as she assisted Lady Soyou to lie down again. Seulgi was about to go out when Prince Jimin held her arm. 

"Seulgi," Prince Jimin said, "Let us talk."

Seulgi released herself from the grip of the Prince and said, "Not tonight, wangjanim. Your thoughts are too shady." 

Seulgi then went out of the room. Prince Jimin followed but was met by a strong gust of wind followed by a bright flash of light. When Prince Jimin opened his eyes after covering them from the light, he saw that the yard was empty. 

 

Seulgi and Prince Bogum were dueling while Irene was watching. Swirls of fire and water and a pile of rocks then appeared, forming Yeri, Wendy, and Joy. They were quite surprised to see Seulgi attacking Prince Bogum rather emotionally.

"Is there something wrong with Seulgi?" Wendy asked worriedly. 

Irene sighed and said, "I was a little late to realize... Lady Soyou wants Prince Jimin to take a second wife, either Seulgi or me."

Yeri gasped. She then said, "Oh... Seulgi-unnie..."

"What will happen? I thought you and Seulgi-unnie will be sent to Damiwon?" Joy asked.

Irene replied, "We have to follow what Lady Soyou will say for now."