The Ritual of the Beginnings

마법사와 왕자(The Sorceress and The Prince)

Prince Jimin, Prince Jungkook were standing beside the throne of Empress Boa in her quarters. Princess Yoojung, Seulgi, and Irene were the ones in front to explain the commotion that happened. 

"Yoojung-gongju," Empress Boa said in a calm yet superior voice, "I understand that you want to stay with Empress Kahi and Prince Suga. However, you are still from this household and I will not allow such childish behavior!"

"Hwangho," Princess Yoojung answered, "That girl bumped into me!"

Prince Jimin replied, "It was an accident and the two helped you. Yes, it was a mistake, but it did not need to reach violence. You are a princess. You should act properly."

"Apologies to Seulgi and Joohyun," the Empress said.

The princess looked aghast. "Naega wae? (Why me?)" she asked in disbelief. 

Irene spoke. "There is no need to apologize, Hwangho. All we need is for you to hear the truth," Irene said.

Seulgi followed, "As long as the truth is said out, we are okay. Gongjunim, joesonghamnida. I will be careful next time."

"You may go," Empress Boa said. 

As the two went out of the room, Princess Yoojung said, "Eomonim, why do you side with them?"

"Gongju," the Empress said formally, "You should act like a princess. You are not the Empress yet."

 

Irene asked Seulgi as they walked, "Is that princess really like that?"

Seulgi nodded and said, "Ever since she understood the politics of the Palace, I heard that she immediately wanted to be close to Prince Jin. But since the Crowned Prince is too old for her, she went to Prince Suga, though the Prince is betrothed already that time." 

"Neo," Prince Bogum suddenly said as he grabbed Irene's arm. 

"We shall meet later tonight," Irene said, "V-hakja and RapMon-sangseon should be with you, wangjanim."

"Let her go," Prince Jimin said as he ran swatted away Prince Bogum's hand. 

"I will not hurt her, Jimin," Prince Bogum said and left.

"Gwaenchanya?" Lady Soyou asked as she went to the two girls.

"Ne," the two answered. 

 

The Emperor was out on the walls of the Palace that oversees Hanyang. It was bright and sunny, but all of a sudden it became dark; lightning struck and thunder soon followed. The Emperor said, "Except for RapMon-sangseon, everyone else, leave."

The Emperor's entourage followed. Once they were out of sight, a bright light flashed, and Irene appeared along with Scholar V.

"This is dangerous, Pyeha," Irene commented, "Summoning me, especially through V-hakja."

"I am not the one who wants to see you," the Emperor replied.

As the Emperor spoke, jets of water suddenly swirled and formed a vortex. After a second, it formed and became Crowned Prince Jin. 

"Jin-jeongyoon," V and Irene greeted. 

"I need a favor from the two of you," the Crowned Prince said.

 

"Mwo?" Prince Jimin said in shock. 

Lady Soyou smiled and said, "I am glad that Joohyun's skills in taking care of the face and the body is acknowledged."

"Buin (wife)," Prince Jimin said. 

On cue, the Irene and Seulgi went inside the room where Prince Jimin and lady Soyou were. "What is this?" Prince Jimin asked.

"We have to follow the orders of Pyeha," Seulgi said, "So we are here to say goodbye."

As Lady Soyou was about to stand up, she severely coughed seven times. 

"Unnie!" the two girls said. "Shouldn't we leave for a day?" Irene said, worried. She has been secretly trying to figure out and heal Lady Soyou, but it seems that Lady Soyou has a very severe illness. 

"Ani," Lady Soyou said as she was held by Prince Jimin, "You should be happy that the Emperor knew of your efforts and now will be placed as high court ladies of Damiwon as you are royalty."

Prince Jimin asked, "Will you be okay there?" As the Prince said this, he looked at Irene's eyes as if to plea Irene to stay. 

"We will be alright, wangjanim," Irene said, "Lady Soyou and you can visit anytime."

The Prince looked at Irene meaningfully; Irene just nodded. 

 

"Why did the Emperor sent you here to us?" Wendy asked as she as finishing cleaning her room that she shares with Joy and Yeri, and now with Irene and Seulgi. 

Irene answered, "It is the ritual of the beginnings in two days. We have to be prepared as this is the time that the time when the pact was made will be remembered. The five of us have to be separated, as the Emperor would fear that this will be an opportunity for the supernaturals to attack. I will stay in the Palace as requested by the Crowned Prince."

"Wae?" Yeri asked as she lighted the candle by making her own fire. 

 

"What?" Prince Bogum said as he was confronted by V-hakja and RapMon-sangseon at the study room of Crowned Prince Jin. 

"There is this rumor from one of our ears in the Palace," RapMon-sangseon said, "That the ritual will be used as an opportunity to attack."

"Why should I help? What will I do?" Prince Bogum asked.

Suddenly, Crowned Prince Jin appeared and said, "It is my request of you."

"Jin-jeongyoon," Prince Bogum greeted, "Hyungnim, you want me to replace you at the ritual, correct? Why should I?"

"Because I will let you permanently live here if you do," the Crowned Prince said, "I will declare you like my household, just as how it should be."

 

That afternoon, Crowned Prince Jin, and the Princes Suga, Jimin, Jungkook, J-Hope, and Bogum practiced their sword dance performance. 

"The Emperor will be happy with what we have done," Crowned Prince Jin commented as soon as he took off his mask. 

As the other princes took off their mask, Prince J-Hope asked Prince Jimin, "Hyungnim, is Joohyun going to watch?"

Prince Jimin said, "She is going to be a court lady in Damiwon."

"Eh?" Prince Jungkook and J-Hope said in shock. 

Prince Suga asked, "What happened?" 

"The Emperor somehow knew how good Joohyun is with taking care of the skin," Prince Jimin answered. 

"Why are you asking? Do you like her?" Prince Jungkook said.

The two young princes then went to chase each other around, as the other performers arrived. After their rehearsal, the five princes went to rest at the house of Prince Jimin. 

"How did Bogum-hyungnim became so good at handling the sword?" Prince J-Hope asked. He continued, "I thought all he was thought was how to be wild."

"Maybe someone taught him there," Prince Jungkook answered.

Prince Suga commented, "The people where he came from hating him. He was just there because our eomonim does not like her."

Prince Jimin said, "Do not be like that. He is still our brother."

"Princess Yoojung is here!" a court lady declared.

"Let her in," Prince Siga answered. 

Princess Yoojung went in and greeted the princes. "Annyeonghashiminikka, wangjanimdeul," she said as she bowed.

"How did it go with Joohyun and Seulgi?" Prince J-Hope suddenly asked.

"Aish," Prince Jungkook said as he knocked Prince J-Hope on the head. 

At that moment, Prince Bogum entered. Prince J-Hope and Prince Jungkook suddenly bowed to Prince Bogum.

"Orenmaniya," Prince Jimin greeted.

"Eo, bangapta (Yeah, nice to see you)," Prince Bogum curtly replied.

Princess Yoojung bowed and said, "You should have stayed with us sooner."

Prince Suga commented, "Don't try too hard. He only understands animals."

"No wonder," Prince Bogum snickered, "I understood your words all too well."

Prince Jimin chuckled a little as Prince Suga looked smug at Prince Bogum. 

 

The Ritual of the Beginnings - it was a ritual celebrated ever since the first Emperor of Goryeo, Taejo Wang Geon, established the kingdom. The ritual is a reenactment of how the first Emperor of Goryeo, then a general, and a shaman wizard drove away and defeated the supernaturals of the armies of the United Silla to establish Goryeo. However, no one except Taejo Wang Geon knew that the shaman wizard was actually Irene. 

"Unnie, isn't it weird that they will reenact you like a guy?" Yeri said as the members of Red Velvet are on top of the roof overseeing the courtyard where the ritual will take place. 

Irene shook her head and said, "Everyone remembers the Great Emperor Damdeok, but no one remembers his whole family. I'm used to it."

Seulgi said, "We are ready, unnie."

Irene then gathered her members and said, "You would know what to do. Do not kill; our goal is to know who is behind this."

"Ne," the four other members of Red Velvet said as they dissolve into their own elements and disappeared. 

 

At an alley, Crowned Prince Jin and Prince Bogum exchanged clothes and masks. 

"Take care of yourself; their target will be you," the Crowned Prince said. 

Prince Bogum nodded and mentally prepared himself. 

 

Everyone was at the courtyard: the Emperor, Empress Kahi and Empress Boa, Princess Yoojung standing at the side of Empress Kahi and Lady Soyou standing on the side of Empress Boa. While waiting for the ritual to start, Empress Boa asked Lady Soyou, "Where are Joohyun and Seulgi?"

Lady Soyou said, "I left them in the house so they can go out and enjoy the city celebration."

"Those two are sure free spirits; I like them," the Empress said to the Lady. 

At the sound of the drums, the ritual started. The princes, dressed in red clothes, aiding the one acting as Emperor Taejo Wang Geon and the Shaman Wizard. The acting Emperor Taejo Wang Geon is supposed to be Crowned Prince Jin but Prince Bogum replaced him while the one acting to be the Shaman Wizard is Prince Suga. As the dance performance started, the Emperor seemed pleased with the performance of the princes, especially the acting Emperor Taejo Wang Geon.

"It seems that the Crowned Prince has practiced a lot; I am not a fighter but I can see he has improved in his fighting skills," Empress Boa commented.

The Emperor smiled, but he felt something different towards the acting Emperor Taejo Wang Geon. As the ritual progressed, Irene felt something else. At the part where the 'demons' or the supernaturals were defeated, a group of performers suddenly appeared and attacked the acting Taejo Wang Geon, almost stabbing him if not for his shield.

"Defend the Emperor!" RapMon-sangseon shouted. The princes jumped into the courtyard with their swords out and fought the performers, this time as a real fight. The royal guard were protecting the Royal Family, and Irene was observing. At the right moment, Irene summoned a strung gust of wind and it swept the entire courtyard, driving away from the remaining living assassins, causing them to flee. When the Emperor turned to the spot were Irene is, the Emperor nodded. It was Irene's signal as she disappeared into thin air. However, the gust of wind also caused the masks to be blown off, revealing Prince Bogum to be the one acting as Taejo Wang Geon.

"What is the meaning of this?!" the Emperor shouted in anger. 

"Prince Bogum did my bidding, Pyeha," Crowned Prince Jin declared.

"Let me go after the assassins, Pyeha," Prince Bogum said. 

The Emperor, though still angry, nodded. Prince Bogum rushed outside, followed closely by Prince Suga and Prince Jimin. 

 

As the assassins were trying to flee, they were being followed closely by the four other members of Red Velvet. The big group separated into two groups. Seulgi and Joy following one, and Yeri and Wendy following the other one. The one that Seulgi and Joy followed stopped in a clear field in the forest.

"Attack!" one of the assassins suddenly declared.

As half of the assassins run, half of them suddenly went to the tree where the two are. In shock, Seulgi sent a tornado to sent their attackers away. 

"It's a trap!" Joy declared as rocks went out of her palms to hit their attackers. 

The two Red Velvet members drew out their weapons, one long sword for Seulgi and two metal tubes for Joy, as they landed on the ground; surrounding them were fifteen or so assassins. 

"I hope Yeri and Wendy are doing better than us," Joy said.

 

Yeri and Wendy were already fighting the assassins; Yeri with her bow (with daggers attached to the end for close-range attacks) and arrow and Wendy with her spear. 

"Unnie!" Yeri yelled as Wendy was about to get strangled. Wendy suddenly dissolved into a puddle of water. After another second, Wendy reformed again and pierced her spear through her attacker. 

Yeri spun her bow, slicing in the neck her attackers. Wendy suddenly started to sing as Yeri formed an arrow of fire, placed it in her bow and fired it in the sky. Wendy's song made their attackers stay at their place. Yeri's arrow of fire went back down like a thousand arrows. Wendy and Yeri raised their palms, forming a shield to defend themselves from the arrows. The arrows just hit the skin of the remaining assassins, so that they will not die. Suddenly, the attackers dissolved. 

"What happened?" Yeri said in shock. 

Wendy said, "Let's regroup first with Seulgi and Joy."

Yeri agreed with Wendy and the two disappeared as they dissolved into fire and water, respectively. 

 

Seulgi and Joy were fighting back to back, slicing and hitting anyone who would go near. As Seulgi stabbed and Joy hit in the neck another of their attackers, suddenly disappeared.

"What happened?" Joy asked.

A bright light flashed and Irene appeared, followed by Yeri and Wendy. "Unnie," Seulgi said to Irene.

"They knew that Red Velvet will be involved," Irene said, "They're smarter know. Follow the other trails; we have to find where they are hiding."

 

Prince Bogum came out running in the forest in a different direction where the Red Velvet members were. He came to a clearing where he saw someone in a black cloak in front of the performers that he was chasing. At the nod of the one in black, the men standing behind the assassins killed the assassins. Bogum suddenly jumped from where he was and blasted fire at the clearing. Five more assassins ran away as Prince Bogum fought the men killing the assassins. Bogum was blasting fire and slashing around with his sword skillfully, killing each one coming near. 

Bogum then chased the five other assassins. In another clearing, he saw the five members stopped Irene. 

"Tell me who sent you," Irene said as she noticed Bogum.

The assassins just started to attack Irene. Without another word, Irene pulled out her sword from her cloak and started to skillfully avoid and slash through the bodies of her attackers. Prince Bogum was amazed at how graceful yet deadly Irene was. As one of the assassins tried to flee, Prince Bogum blasted fire near him, making him stop. Irene and Prince Bogum both aimed their swords at the assassin's neck. 

"Who sent you?" Prince Bogum asked.