Chapter 4 - Premise

Development

“Sung Mirae-seonsaengnim, what are these badges we've been given?” Taeyeon heard someone ask. It was a fair question.

‘It doesn’t seem to have anything on it, so why have we got it at all?’ She began searching through her bag for her own.

 

“Ah, yes I suppose when I ask for questions, this is one of the more immediate ones you'd want to ask… Well, no sense in hiding it anymore.” The lady addressed all the students. Taeyeon moved to look at her while continuing to feel around for her badge.

“It’s a position.”

‘A position?’

“A grade. A rank. Those badges represent your level here at HanYang. They are part of our innovative system to teach students effectively.” The woman stepped back and picked up her pen. She wiped away her old words and began writing afresh on the whiteboard.

“Teacher votes, academic performance, student votes, activity, and public awareness. These five parameters decide your individual rank, and it is reflected in your badge.” Taeyeon finally picked out her badge and thumbed it gently as the teacher explained. It didn't feel like much, sort of like glass but opaque.

 

“Yes, if you could all take a look at your personal badges, as Taeyeon-ssi has done, you'll see that they're very much white. Now…” The woman pulled out a small tablet from her desk and began shifting her fingers across the screen. “As a registered teacher here, I can pull up your data sheets and can make concessions to your points…” The teacher seemed to finalise something and then looked squarely at her.

“Look at your badge Taeyeon-ssi.” She did and it was grey.

'It's not completely different now but still, it's definitely not white…’

“You gave me points and changed my rank?” Taeyeon asked slowly.

“I took some away.”

'Ah.’

“Focus in my class from now on.”

 

****

A laugh threatened to surface from inside Jungkook. This was not a funny situation, not at all. He had already made a bad first impression with a late greeting, received a strict homeroom teacher and now was told that he would be ranked constantly by the college.

'It's not good.’ He reasoned as a grin appeared on his face. It wasn't his fault. This was a weird situation to be in but, seeing Taeyeon, a huge sunbae, just as thrown off by it as he was brought a smile to his face.

 

“Studies have shown that generalised teaching standards produce worse results. To offer the best rate of progression, it is better to separate each student into a class of their own, with a teacher of their own. Obviously, this is not easily affordable and so we have had our own system implemented based around the latest research.” The teacher explained, as she drew a long straight line across the board.

'Ahh, focus! This is the basis of what is going to happen here!’ Jungkook chided himself and he forced his attention away from his sunbae.

 

“There are 430 students currently in attendance at HanYang, and roughly 60 members on the teaching staff. Each of us functions as a homeroom and subject teacher while here but there is no way we could possibly offer one to one tuition. The way we combat this, is through your badges. Success in the evaluated fields grants points and can elevate status. This brings with it more time and investment from HanYang.” The woman paused, her final words sinking into the crowd.

'Wait, is she saying that there will be different treatment for each student?’ Jungkook shifted uncomfortably, this was going in a direction he hadn't expected.

 

“Your points will grant you a weekly rank, which will change your privileges for the following week. Those privileges are given through your card.” She waiting again and the group took the chance to take out their cards.

 

“But why?” Someone asked.

'What happened to this being to educate us?’ Jungkook moved the card and badge around between his hands.

 

“This is actually especially helpful for you students as it allows you to focus on your main goal.” The woman answered, stressing each syllable. “That is, to guarantee a successful future. Doing well in these different fields are similar to growing yourselves as idol and will improve your ability to progress. A higher rank means a more successful potential career. These are the facets of an accomplished career and ones you can actively strive for within HanYang.”

 

She took more questions but none seemed as important, and by the last few, Jungkook was barely listening.

 

Finally, when the questions had mostly stopped, the woman looked towards her watch, and nodded to herself.

“Right well, I think that's all. I just want to address attendance. So, including homeroom, you will need to attend HanYang for at least 16 hours per week. Beyond that, you may stay here as long as you wish and use the facilities whenever you desire.

Those 16 hours will typically be split across three days due to breaks and such but can be managed differently depending on your subjects. Regardless, you will be in my class at least three times a week from now on, so I hope we will get along.”

 

“Today will be the first of many, but is one of the most important. Your day will help in choosing what you wish to learn while here at HanYang. Is it how to attain the top spot, how to gain group success or something more personal? This first day can set you on the path to your dreams. As for what your dream is... That’s for you to decide.” The woman bowed slightly and walked towards the exit.

 

The room was still. Jungkook dropped his head.

'Back to that question then. What do I want to do while I'm here? How can I improve myself and the group?’

 

“Ah and please remember that, above all else, sharing information about your classmates conduct at HanYang is expressly forbidden…” The woman suddenly said, almost as if she'd forgotten. But she hadn't. Her tone and language told him that she actually wanted this to be taken to heart, deliberately waiting till a lull. She wanted this to be the last thing she said to them on their first day.


‘To separate life outside and inside the college. To be free.’ Jungkook raised his head. He wondered what her face looked like as she uttered those words. He watched the door click shut.

 

(A/N: Interested to hear whether people feel I'm accurately depicting Jungkook and Taeyeon.)