Chapter 2 - Firsts

Development

“If Jungkook-ssi could follow me.” The woman asked him politely before walking. He was quickly directed to hall 4-B and asked to wait for a teacher.

'Ahhh… what is this going to be like?’

 

Since then, he had been one of only 3 people in the room; the other two being members of the same rookie group. A quick greeting passed, but he knew neither of them and soon was sitting in silence, waiting for something to change.

 

Two or three more students arrived but again Jungkook didn't recognise them. He began to think about what he should be trying to achieve while at the college and soon zoned out his surroundings. Looking at nowhere in particular, he imagined himself using this 'opportunity’ in different ways. A few figures shifted in front of him but didn't greet him, and he remained in his thoughts.

'What could I get out of this? I've never been good at academic stuff. So how can i achieve something positive from this? And what do I want to do while I'm here…?’

 

“Ah, hello.”

A soft voice rang out, pulling him back to the room he was in. His instinct kicked in and he quickly stood and bowed.

“Hello, Sunbae-nim!” He said brightly, his eyes focussing back on the sight was in front of him. It was a huge sunbae of his, in form of Taeyeon from SNSD. Her eyes seems to change slightly, she nodded back and then moved to take a seat towards the middle of the room.  

'Ahhh, I didn't greet her first!’ Jungkook regretted, watching her move before sitting himself. He inwardly scolded himself for not paying attention and forced his previous thoughts away.

'I need to just do well right now. There will be other sunbaes here and lots of hoobaes too, I need to show respect. I can't carelessly-’ A flash of moving yellow diverted his gaze. It fell back to the middle of the room and his sunbae.

 

From her left, he could see her pretty clearly but her had only one way to describe her.

‘A star.’

“A celebrity…” The words slipped out of his mouth uncontrollably. She seemed to radiate the word with her entire presence. She was unbelievably pretty, even by idol standards, held a still form and maintained her expression perfectly. Occasionally, she would shift her hair or go through her bag, but beyond that she was almost perfectly unmoving. That seemed to add to her aura, creating a sense of distance between her and the world.

 

'This is a real celebrity, wah…’

 

****

 

Taeyeon walked towards her classroom slowly. This wasn't particularly comfortable for her, and all the assurances from Tiffany and her members hadn't really helped. She was someone who preferred her home to new and unfamiliar environments. Still, it was the first day and this was her designated room. There wasn't much to be done other than go in with an open mind.

 

As she opened the door, the rumbles of conversation in the room died. And the whispers began. The room had filled up a decent amount, with at least a dozen or so idols interspersed among the seats. Most were with fellow members seemed, judging from the way they were sitting and had turned their attention to her.

“It's Taeyeon-ssi!” “Wah!” “She's so pretty! Heol!”

 

“Hello.” She greeted politely, meeting eyes with the numerous hoobaes in the room. “Hello.”

It was evident that she was the biggest sunbae in the room and likely the oldest too. She walked further, turning towards the emptier right side to find a seat.

 

The idol’s gaze surprised her. He sat on the far right, fairly unassuming, but was very obviously staring. She continued walking until she was close to the centre and still his eyes seemed to be fixed on her. This was new. Unabashedly staring at someone was common with the general public and fans, but highly discouraged among idols. There were too many things people inferred from them, too many risks. Even with the supposed media ban within the college, this was risky. At the very least in terms of personal reputation with those who were present.

 

To have an idol disregard all of that was definitely different. Taeyeon slowed her pace and noticed his gaze wouldn't shift. She purposely sidestepped and finally, only a few feet away from him, realised what was happening.

 

“Ah, hello.” She greeted him, barely holding back a smile, as she knew what was coming.

His eyelids flickered quickly, his pupils dropped and his eyes widened to comical levels.

'There we go.’ She inwardly grinned.

 

****

 

‘His reaction was better than I’d hoped for.’ Taeyeon moved her bag behind her desk and adjust herself in her seat. She allowed a small smile to grace lips but quickly stopped. This was not really a place to be comfortable. Seeing that idol incredibly carefree about his image was refreshing but she couldn't afford the same luxury.

 

“Hello, sunbae-nim!” A few girls greeted her as they passed her to get to their own seats. She took a quick look at her watch. 8:58.

'Here we go.’

She turned and went through her bag again, pulling out what had been given by her cordi this morning. The most basic of equipment needed, within a branded stationery bag, along with a small bottle of water. Setting them out, she glanced back to the same idol and noticed nothing on his desk or around him.

 

He was probably from a group a few years old that was not able to make much of themselves. There was so much competition now that it was a common sight. His company was past the point of caring about his first impressions and hadn't even equipped him right for his first day. He didn't seem to show the stresses of not doing will but they were no doubt pressing issues for him.

 

Letting her eyes linger for a second, she sighed.

 

“If you're quite done staring.”


****