Prologue

Development

"I understand that many of you are still unsure what you are doing here. I am sure that you are shocked, or frustrated or even angry, but it is vital that this is taken seriously… As of enrollment, you will no longer be full time idols. You will be full time students, working alongside for your individual companies.”

 

The man continued speaking diplomatically. He looked out into the crowd as he did, switching his gaze from left to right, from the back of the crowd to those standing right at the front. They were a mixed bunch to say the least.

 

“The new legislation by our government is going to help to develop the skills that you have, thus far, been asked to neglect. It's purpose is to have you, our nation's idols, continue with your education and give you the means to make well informed decisions about yourselves and your futures.”

 

The crowd stood diligently, filling the expanse of the lecture hall to near full capacity. Addressing them was simple enough through the mic but holding their attention was a different task. Many were blank faced, hiding whatever they thought and felt about the situation they were forced into. Some were relaxed, at ease with the circumstances of their upcoming collegiate life. And others still were seething. Very brazenly displaying their distaste for everything they were hearing.

 

“16 hours per week, every week, with the exception of holidays such as Chuseok. This is the amount of time for which you will be required to be in attendance to classes here. Classes will be mostly self chosen, not including mandatory Mathematics and Science.” Murmurs went through the crowd. It was becoming clear that this was real and would not be something to be ignored.

 

“This will be treated as a fully fledged college environment. Thusly, you will be regularly assessed and ranked. You will be required to pass your subjects and failure to do so will incur penalties to working as an idol.” Some of the stiff expressions loosened, more and more emotion appearing on their faces. The murmuring grew louder. And then the man smiled. And the crowd was silent again.

 

“Listen, this is a chance for you young people to really live. Experience life in a way you haven't been able to yet. I know that this can seem like something to despise, but I'd like for you to see this as a chance to grow. As a chance to live through the the beautiful moments of your life. Many of you have dedicated everything to being the best performers you can. Now I'm asking you to let yourselves free. To focus on yourselves and your own development. To laugh and grow… and feel.” The man took a moment to himself.

 

“Enrollment is in the western block, please make your way over as you leave here.”

 

As he finished, the man replaced his mic and walked calmly off the stage. Several moments after, the first few people began heading for the exit to the main hall. Different idol groups slowly made their way out, grouping together and quietly leaving. He recognised a few, EXO, and GFriend. Astro, Girls’s Day. And BTS and SNSD. A smile came to his lips. This would be interesting to say the least.

He turned to walk away, just catching the last two idols leaving the room. SNSD’s Taeyeon who was just behind her fellow members, and BTS’ Jungkook who was rushing to catch up to the group he had lost track off.


****