001

Black VS White

"We designed the perfect dress for you, princess!"  Ann, my only friend, said in excitement. She held a tray with a teapot and two cups.

"Huh? What? What dress?" I looked up from my sketchbook, facing Ann. I had a 3B sketch pencil in one hand and the other hand steadying my sketch book.

My chestnut brown hair effortlessly rested my shoulders as I wore one of my comfortable home gowns. My diamond tiara resting on my head as I wore simple makeup containing a bit of matte eyeliner, peach blush, and pink-tinted lips. My dress was made with blue silk, and it was simple with no designs except with a black belt. I wore a black lace choker with small blue dangly earrings and a matching blue bracelet. I wore standard black sandals with a small heel on it to help me look taller.

Ann put down the tray on my white desktop table.

"Wow! That is beautiful!" Ann looked at my sketchbook with amazement.

"Mind if  use it to design another dress?" Ann asked, still deeply amazed with my art.

"You use all of my sketches to make dresses," I said, closing my sketchbook.

"Please!" I looked up to see Ann's puppy eyes with her hands in together in a pleading position.

"I just drew a simple dress out of my imagination, I don’t see why you find it surprising."

"It is simple, yet beautiful and it would fit you so well! You also mentioned that you would like more simple dresses. As a result, I'll make some just for you. Also, I am out of ideas at the moment, but that dress you drew was perfect! Trust me! You will love it!" Ann pleaded again but had hope in her eyes. She knows I fall for puppy eyes.

I let out a sigh and looked at my sketchbook. I don’t get why I quickly agreed with Ann.

"Fine!" I said as I rolled my eyes.

"Yes!" Ann jumped in delight while squealing. One thing I loved about her was that she was comfortable with me and showed her true self unlike the other servants in this palace who walked in your room quietly and left without a word after receiving the order they are mean't to complete. I smiled at her. I am so glad that I at least have one friend that I can talk to. I wasn’t allowed to leave this palace and was caged due to my father's request. I mentally rolled my eyes at how my dad controlled every part of my life except the fact that I had a secret friend here. If father found both Ann and I were friends, we would be beaten and Ann will either be put to work at a different, harder part of the palace, fired or even worse… hung. Yep, that is my father for you. Who wants me to be forever lonely and depressed.

"ANN!" My father's voice boomed throughout the whole palace while shouting my friend's name.

Ann looked at me, worried, as I looked back at her.

"Um, yes sire?" She replied, loud but with an air of formality.

"Where is my tea?!" Father commanded, a bit quieter this time around. Ann sighed in relief as small smile blossomed onto her face.

Oh, thank god! I thought she was going to get in trouble.

"It is on the way, your majesty." she answered, still formal but loud.

She looked at me with relief written all over her face.

"Don’t you ever get annoyed Ann?" I asked as she quickly straightened her dress with her hand.

"No." She quietly said while putting a cup on my table and filling it with green tea.

"I don’t get why it gets on my nerves so much!" I sighed as I looked at my best friend. She gave me a sad smile as she put a hand on my shoulder.

"Don’t worry I am always  here if you need me unless you father is lecturing me to do something better or had given me a hard job." She shrugged it off as if it was nothing. I envied her so much. She had such caring parents who let her do what she wished but they, unfortunately, died 2 years ago so to make a living she worked for us. At least she wasn’t caged and controlled as much as me. She could retire anytime she wanted or be a simple princess like me, who had to look beautiful every day even when no one was home.

To be the one who had to be polite and formal and listen to, ugh, classical music all the time. Who also would take 10 boring classes a day and couldn't even step on the fresh grass, and the only fresh air I got was from open windows and my balcony. Yes, it is hard being a princess, and it was even more challenging not to have a mother who died when I was born. I had no one to talk to all my life until Ann came along and helped me out of my loneliness. One of the servants who worked for us since birth said my mum was an amazing person. I wish I could meet her in real life.

"What about the dress you wanted to show me?" I asked breaking my own train of thoughts.

She picked up her tray getting ready to leave.

"I will show it to you later," She said as she quickly got ready.

"How do I look?" She asked. I smiled.

"Like a beautiful servant," I said.

"Forget the beautiful, but perfect!" She said as she let out a small chuckle.

"ANN!"  Father's voice boomed through the whole castle, loud and thundering.

"Coming!" Ann shouted, giving me one last small smile, she scurried out of my room swiftly.