V.

I. The First Blood War [The Magician of Nightfire]

 

Rapid and loud knocking awoke Soonyoung early the next morning. The sun was just beginning to shine through his window when rough hands were shaking him awake and he was dragged from the warm recesses of his bed.

 

The grave look that Jun wore was enough for Soonyoung to spark a bit of life into himself, quickly getting dressed and grabbing his bow and quiver. He was still gathering his wits when Jun steered him out of the room and down the hallways toward the grand tower. There movements were quick and hurried and with each step the pit of dread in his stomach grew.

 

The North Tower was a tall, spiraling building attached to the palace where the Magicians Circle was located. They ascended the stairs quickly and Jun mercifully let Soonyoung catch his breath before they stepped into the main hall.

 

Jun quietly threw the door open and the two strode inside. Only about a third of the Magicians Circle was in attendance, which was surprising for their numbers and the current status of the war. Soonyoung checked the sun, and although it was still early Jun had informed them that they were some of the last to be notified.

 

Soonyoung took a seat beside Yoon Jeonghan, an eastern Magician from a long line of pure blooded Magicians. However, he had never seemed to fit in with the elite and poised Yoon family he was raised in. Currently he was half asleep, reclining in his chair with his short wand resting over his chest. His long lilac hair fell over his shoulders and his loud colored robes grained attention.

 

When Soonyoung sat down Jeonghan slowly opened his lids and flashed the younger man an amused grin. “Look who’s arrived,” he drawled, running a hand through his hair. The numerous jewelry adorning his fingers and clothing changed colors with magic. “I thought you were benched.”

 

“Shut up Jeonghan,” Jun mumbled, though there was no malice in his voice. The three of them had known each other since training school and had developed a friendly rivalry between each other. There wasn’t anyone else who he would rather have protecting his back in battle. “He’s recovering.”

 

“Some of us are actually assigned fieldwork,” Soonyoung taunted.

 

Jeonghan rolled his pale eyes, lilac hair falling over his shoulders. They all knew the reason why Jeonghan wasn’t drafted in battles wasn’t related to his magical skills. “Heard you didn’t last long,” he smirked and Jun shoved him.

 

Before Soonyoung could return the remark, Jun shushed them and the doors flew open. Doyoon came striding in, his usual regal appearance downtrodden and haggard. Exhaustion aged him, but there was a steel of seriousness in his gaze. The group went quiet and Soonyoung sat up straighter in his chair, the hair on his neck standing up as a chill went through his body. Something was wrong.

 

The man cast a glance around the room and he seemed to acknowledge that everyone who was supposed to be in attendance was there. It seemed there was a reason that most of the magicians weren’t around and it made Soonyoung nervous. “Thank you all for attending. I apologize for the early notice, but it seems we have a serious situation on our hands.”

 

Doyoon stepped to the center table and land out a map on the table. It displayed the kingdom of Valahad and the surrounding territories. “I will cut to the chase. Last night the crown ordered an attack on the eastern area of the kingdom which had previously been under dark magician control. It was a battalion consisting of over half of the kingdom’s army, and two thirds of our own magical defenses. They are currently half a day away from the outer city.”

 

“That’s incredibly risky,” Jun hissed, eyebrows furrowed as he bent over the map. Soonyoung could practically see the cogs turning in his head as he calculated the force of their army and the time and distance it would take to arrive in the outer city. “It leaves the main capital unprotected.”

 

“Exactly. But with the man power and the sense of surprise, they should have been able to reach the edge of the city by midday and overcome the enemy before they could react.”

 

“Should have been?” Soonyoung asked while the group processed the information.

 

“Yes, should have,” Doyoon repeated gravely. “We received information this morning that a dark magician army bypassed our protective forces and have entered kingdom territory from the east. It’s a huge group, probably most of their offensive power and with the number of magicians we have now, we are completely outnumbered. They will be on us in a matter of hours, before our army can reach the east. Unless we’re able to hold defenses long enough for the remaining forces to return to our aid we may lose the war before we can even attack.”

 

A dark cloud fell over the group and there was a tense moment of silence. Everyone was at a loss, shocked at the turn of events. The war had been going on for a long time, but no one had expected the possible defeat of Valahad. And not so soon, at least.

 

“Even if we send a group to defend, we barely have enough magic to keep the barrier up in defense,” Jun stated, chewing on his lip as he scoured over the map like it held the answers they needed.

 

“That’s the issue. But if we don’t send all the reinforces we have than there may be no city for us to protect.”

 

Doyoon let his words sink in. Soonyoung felt a sense of dread settle over his shoulders. Somehow the dark magicians had managed to bypass their army and breach their outer forces and they were the kingdoms last defense.

 

“Then what’s the plan,” Jeonghan broke out, face uncharacteristically serious. “Are we just going to sit here like sitting ducks?” He asked, standing up and shoving his chair backward. He met each gaze of the group, a hard determination set in his gaze. Soonyoung had never seen him so fired up before in his life. “Or are we going to fight?”

 

The Head Magician observed him for a moment before a small smile slipped onto his face. “We’re going to fight,” he said, and Jeonghan nodded, satisfied.

 

“We need to make preparations for an attack,” someone in the group said.

 

“We should strengthen the barrier while we’re all here!”

 

“No, we need to stop them before they get to the barrier,” someone else responded.

 

“Are any of the soldiers available? We need to notify the crown immediately.”

 

“They’re aware,” Doyoon said bluntly, leaning over the map as everyone crowded around. It seemed Jeonghan’s speech had worked for the fear of their defeat had dissipated from the room. “This is where the dark magician’s army was last spotted. They’ll reach the city in a matter of hours, if they’re heading straight through the streets. If we leave soon we can intercept them before they can breach the city gates.”

 

“Who are we sending,” someone asked.

 

“I’ll lead the defense,” Jun said, stepping up. His hand was on his sword like he expected an attack at any moment. “We’ll take twelve from the magician’s circle and any soldiers that the crown can spare.”

 

“Twelve is nearly all of us!” Another cried. “We’ll never be able to support the barrier and protect the city with the magicians that are left!”

 

Jun shot the man a look. “They won’t be able to take over the capital if they never make it past me.” Soonyoung admired his determination and confidence. And it was true, no one had ever defeated Jun in battle.

 

“The royal families guard must stay here, we have to protect the crown.” Someone pointed out.

 

“I can spare you ten, Jun,” Doyoon said, turning towards the young man.

 

Jun nodded tensely. “I’ll take everyone I can get.”

 

Doyoon inhaled slowly before nodding. He reached over and clapped Jun on the shoulder. “I leave it in your hands.”

 

“It’s not going to be enough,” Soonyoung said. He was pouring over the map, but no matter how much he calculated or assessed there was no way that with their numbers they would be able to defeat such a large force. “Even if you take the remaining part of the army they have too many dark magicians to defend. We won’t be able to hold them off until the other part of the army returns.”

 

“And the remaining magicians won’t be able to support the barrier?” Doyoon asked, turning to Soonyoung.

 

Soonyoung knew the answer before he asked. His dark expression said it all.

 

“Then let us help.”

 

Every head in the room looked up. Lee Jihoon stood in the doorway, silver hair shining in the moonlight that broke through the tower pillars and dark eyes smoldering like fire. The group of guards standing outside the door looked at a loss for words.

 

“I’m sorry,” one of the guards attempted, “There wasn’t anything we could do-”

 

Doyoon cut him off, moving to the doorway to stand in front of Jihoon. He looked down at him with dark blue eyes. “You’re not allowed in the Magician’s Tower,” he snapped harshly.

 

Jihoon didn’t falter. A cold wind swept into the room. “Let us help you,” he repeated.

 

Doyoon huffed, his annoyance rising. “How much did you hear?” He looked irritated like he was talking to a child, but Jihoon was anything but. “This is a confidential meeting-”

 

“What I heard,” Jihoon interrupted, “Is that if you don’t stop the oncoming army than this country will fall.” The group shifted uncomfortably at his blunt words but he didn’t pause. “So, what I’m saying, is that you let us help you.” The young man motioned toward the group behind him who had been observing in the hallway. They were all dressed in their armor and gear, holding wands and staffs at the ready. “My group of magicians from the Southern Isles are prepared for a battle. If we move quick enough, we can form a group together with your force and attack the army before it reaches the inner city.”

 

The group broke into whispers. The magical power would of course be helpful, but they were dark magicians…

 

“Do you take me as a fool?” Doyoon said, distaste in his tone.

 

“You’d be a fool if you didn’t take my offer,” Jihoon snarled. He stepped forward and the magic that radiated off of him made even Doyoon falter. “At this point, you don’t have a choice unless you want to watch this country fall.” Doyoon bristled, but Jihoon spoke before he could respond. “Listen, you don’t have to trust me. But we are your last resort. Otherwise the only fate that remains is our death.”

 

“Doyoon.” Soonyoung placed his hand on the older man’s arm. He knew what he was thinking; that after everything the dark magicians had done, how could they trust them… But this time, they didn’t have a choice. “They can help us.”

 

The brown-haired magician met his glance and Soonyoung could see the anguish and anxiety resonating in his gaze. Doyoon had been the Head Magician for a long time and he just wanted to protect his people. But what he had to realize was that this choice was the one that would protect his people.

 

“It’s the right thing,” Soonyoung whispered and the fight seemed to dissipate from his shoulders.

 

It took a moment for the man to square his shoulders, but he finally turned to Jihoon, a solemn look in his gaze. “Your party may join the defending force. But you must stay under Jun’s orders and follow his commands as general.”

 

Jihoon looked almost amused, and Soonyoung really couldn’t see him taking any orders from anyone, but he nodded his affirmative.

 

“In return for our assistance,” Jihoon said, looking positively pleased that he got to prod a bit at Doyoon’s patience. “When we return victorious from this battle I expect my people to be provided resources, lodging, and that I am to be granted a spot in the Magician’s Circle.”

 

“You dare test my mercy?” Doyoon hissed, looking close to taking back all his promises.

 

“Rather it is my mercy that is being tested,” Jihoon snarled, slamming his staff into the ground. The castle shook and flames flashed in his gaze. “We came here to help your kingdom, and have been met with nothing but hate and distrust. The only reason we stand here today is my mercy, and it will be the reason that your kingdom will not fall today.”

 

Jihoon didn’t give the other a chance to speak, spinning around to speak to his group. “We will meet you outside the gates, you have twenty minutes to prepare before we head out.” The magicians dispersed but Jihoon waited by the door, looking at Jun. At least he attempted to look like he was trying to succumb to someone else’s leadership.

 

“I’m going with you,” Soonyoung stepped forward, turning to Jun.

 

“Absolutely not,” Doyoon said, a bit of fight coming back to his face. Soonyoung nearly sighed in exasperation. “You’re to stay here and help with keeping the protective barrier up.”

 

“You are injured,” Jun said almost apologetically.

 

“I won’t partake in any of the fighting,” Soonyoung attempted. There was no way that he was staying in the castle. “You need someone to keep an eye on the dark magicians, right?”

 

Jihoon shot him an unamused stare and Soonyoung winked playfully in his direction. He didn’t think he was going to hear the end of that one.

 

“I promise, I won’t join in the battle at all,” he promised.

 

“Let him go, I’ll stay here,” Jeonghan drawled, seeming done with the whole conversation and now back to lounging his chair. He looked calm but Soonyoung could see him fidgeting with his rings. Jeonghan knew enough about the barrier to be able to keep it standing with their limited numbers. The kingdom would be left in good hands.

 

Doyoon didn’t look convinced but he could tell by the look in Soonyoung’s gaze that there was no way to change his mind. He sighed and laid his hand on Soonyoung’s shoulder. “Stay safe,” he said. And then he turned to Jun with an equally grim look on his face. “I’m counting on you.”

 

“Dark magician, I do hope that we can rely on you,” Doyoon spoke, gaze landing on Jihoon. “Because if you betray us, I will find you and kill you myself.”

 

Jihoon’s smile was anything but kind. “Today, death is not my fate. But if you dare to take back your promise for my people…” He stepped forward and whispered in the older man’s ear. “Beware a dark magician’s wrath. For it will be your death that will be near.”

 

-----

 

(A/N: I swear to god... I really do try to update more than once a month... ^^; I'm working on it okay? 

Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoy this chapter! Jeonghan is one of my favorite characters here as well... And Minghao will be reappearing next chapter!)