She's My Best Friend

A Best Friend Like Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Yoojung's POV]

IOI get an offer to be in a new variety show which all of us really anticipated and get so excited for, at first. Well actually we're going to get all excited almost at everything since we're all still kids at heart, an idol with rookie heart, and all of these hectic schedules still feel kind of surreal for us because it was like yesterday when we were all just trainee who practiced so hard every day in our own respective companies with a hope to be debuted soon. Produce 101 is like a turning point and also a miracle in our life. And get chosen as one of the member of IOI is the second miracle. It's all happening just too fast. Sometimes we just can't help but thinking that it's all actually just a dream.

So back to the main topic. We're all felt excited once we heard from our manager that we will starring a new variety show. Even though it's just the 7 of us, the unit of IOI because the other 4 members, which are Sejeong unnie, Chaeyeon unnie, Mina and Yeonjung already started to promoting with their respective groups, but we're still feel happy nonetheless, because the time is keep ticking, we have to make the most of it.

As for me, i'll be happy as long as i get to be with my best friend. Well i love the other members too like a lot, i swear i do, but Kim Doyeon, how can i explain this.. Let's just say she's special for me. I always feel safe and contented when she's around. Even though she always love to tease me, made fun of me, and pull some stupid pranks on me. But i always enjoy her company the most. Maybe because we've been friends, best friends for so long. It's just natural to feel like that toward your best friend, right?

 

"So, the shooting will started tomorrow night. For the first episode, the dongsaeng line will appear first. Chungha and Nayoung will appear in the second episode." Our manager-nim said.

 

"Uh.. so what's the title of the show again?" Doyeon who sits beside me calmly asked with her back fully leaning against the wall behind her.

 

"Ghost story city." Manager-nim replied.

 

"And you sure like really sure that's not a talk show or something similar to that, oppa? You know a show where we can sit together with blanket covering our body, sipping a hot coffee or hot chocholate maybe and share some scary ghost stories?" Our maknae asked with slight quiver. Poor her, she's in denial. And honestly speaking, i want to be like her too. I want to deny this cruel reality and wish so badly for this to be a dream.

 

"No, Somi-yah. Like what i already explained earlier. This show will be a reality show with around 10-11 short episodes long. You guys, the unit of IOI, will be the main characters for the show. You girls will visit some spooky places and be a some kind of detective. Try to proving whether the existence of ghost is real or not. But don't worry, it won't be that scary. The places you guys will visit is actually not really a haunted place. The crew will make the place to look spooky for the sake of this show. And besides, we, your managers and the crew will be there too in the shooting scene to watch over you all. Nothing will happen." He tried to reassured us, but of course his words won't have any effect on me. Simply because i'm a coward and a crybaby. What a deadly combination i have there as my traits.

 

"But we're going to wander around in the middle of the night just by ourselves! Even until dawn. It's like shooting for horror movie. Even though it's all supposed to be not real but we never know when the real ghost will really appear and show theirself to us. It's so not okay." Somi whined again while Kyulkyung unnie softly rubbing her back to calm her down. I think she should worried for herself first since i can see how pale Kyulkyung unnie become right now. Well, the three of us, maybe Sohye too, are actually a not so brave person. Unlike Doyeonie and Chungha unnie who fear nothing. And also Nayoung unnie who always expressionless just like a stone, barely having emotions, inlcuding fear. I really envy them.

 

"I think i'll pretend to be sick tomorrow so i don't have to go there." I lowly whispered to Doyeon as i'm hugging my knees.

 

"Manager-nim! Yoojung said she's going to pretend to be sick so she doesn't have to go tomorrow." I gasped in disbelief and dramatically shook my head. I keep eyeing the tall girl beside me, or more like glaring at her, with so much resentment while she just innocently smirked smiled at me.

 

Manager-nim said something to me but i seem can't hear him because my members are laughing so hard right now, yeah they're laughing at my misery that caused by no other than my so called best friend.

 

"How could you...?" I feel so betrayed right now. I lifted my right hand, clenching it into a fist and trying to punch my annoying best friend but she just snickered and running to sit beside Chungha unnie. She knows that unnie will try to stop us from killing each other if we ever try to do that. Well actually i'm considering to do that right now.

 

"Enough, girls. Let's go to our room and have some rest. It's almost 1 o'clock now. We're going to wake up early tomorrow for dance practice for our unit comeback. Good night, kids. Sleep well." Our stone unnie, i mean leader unnie said. We bid goodnight to our manager-nim and went to our respective room.

---

 

(Inside me and Doyeon's room)

"Yah, Kim Doyeon! I still can't believe you betrayed me like that." I huffed in annoyance.

 

"I didn't betray you, Choi Yoojung. I just tell on you to manager-nim." She evilly snickered and plopped down herself on her bed that located beside mine.

 

"Whatever. I will never trust you from now." I spat, still feel sore about her betrayal.

 

"Yah, i'm serious. I didn't betray you. I will never do that. By the way, can you please turn off the light?" Even though i'm still mad at her, weirdly i still listen well to her. I walked toward the lamp switcher and turned off the light before making my way back to my bed.

 

"Thanks." She shortly thanked me and continued, "I will always on Choi Yoojung's side. You should have known that better than anyone else." Even with the darkness engulfing our room right now i still can see how she softly smiled at me. I want to say something back to her but i don't know. I suddenly feel shy? under her gaze for no certain reasons. So i could only pull up my blanket higher to cover my petite body and whisper, "Good night, Kim Doyeon."

 

"Good night, Yoodaengie." She smiles wider, knowing that she's forgiven.

 

Yeah right, who am i kidding. I can never stay mad at Kim Doyeon for too long.

*****

 

[Author's POV]

(The next day, 9 PM, in the shooting location)



"Annyeonghaseyo." Kyulkyung, Sohye, Yoojung, Doyeon and Somi greeted the staffs and PD-nim once they are arrived in the so called first shooting location for their new variety show. The first episode's shooting will take place in an old-abandoned school. It's pretty dark around the shooting location and the girls can't tell whether the eerie ambience is naturally coming from this place or maybe the staff purposely set it that way for the sake of the show. They hope it's the latter tho.

 

Yoojung looked around and involuntarily shivered.

 

"Boo!"

 

"AAAAAHHHHH!" Yoojung shrieked loudly and crouched down with her small hands covering both of her ears.

 

"HAHAHAHAHA~" Hearing that familiar annoying laughter, Yoojung finally dare to open her eyes and stand up just to see a super happy Doyeon who laughs so hard  with wide open as the latter clutched on her stomach.

 

"YAH KIM DOYEON! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU TO NOT SCARED ME LIKE THAT?!" Yoojung shouted as she keeps slapping and punching Doyeon's arm without mercy.

 

"Ouch ouch! Stop it. It hurts!" Doyeon grabbed both of Yoojung's hands and securing them in her hold so Yoojung can't abuse her anymore.

 

"SERVES YOU RIGHT! YOU ALMOST GAVE ME A HEART-ATTACK! Do you really want to kill me that bad?!" Instead of teasing the shorter girl more, Doyeon suddenly smiled.

 

"There she goes again with the same smile that always make me confused because i don't know the meaning behind it. And the mischievous glint in her eyes quickly disappeared as her lips curved slightly upward." Yoojung inwardly thought. Her train of thought only stopped after she heard Doyeon's voice again.

 

"Nah. Stay healthy and live for hundred years more, Yoojung-ah." Doyeon said and let go of Yoojung's hands. She patted Yoojung's head twice and then leave, heading to God knows where. But Yoojung doesn't feel worry for the latter because she knows that Kim Doyeon is more than capable to take care and protect herself and even the others. And besides the shooting will start soon, so surely she will see her best friend again in a bit. For now she better pray hard and prepare her heart.

---

 

When the shooting just begin, Doyeon who at first standing beside Sohye, stealthily squatted down beside Yoojung, and decided to surprising the latter again when Yoojung is busy checking the radio device in her hand.

 

"HOHH!" Doyeon yelled right beside Yoojung's ear.

 

"AAHHH!" Yoojung shrieked. "AISH YOU SERIOUSLY!!" Yoojung who almost got heart attack for the second time today, caused by the same culprit, angrily pushed Doyeon away, causing the tall girl to stumbled and fell on her but she seems doesn't care a bit since she's still happily laughing at her best friend's reaction.

 

Sometimes Yoojung wonders how could her best friend acted like the daughter of satan almost most of the time. Not only to her but to the other members as well, even to their managers and staffs. It's just Yoojung happened to be the most favorite victim of Kim Doyeon. What a luck.

And she also wonders why she still care and love that satan's child so much? She sometimes surprising herself at how patient and understanding she could become when it comes to Kim Doyeon. She actually know the answer. It's simply because she knows Kim Doyeon too love her and care about her like a lot. She has her own way in protecting and taking care of Yoojung. Maybe it's hard to understand at first, but at the end of the day, she will realize how lucky she is for having someone like Kim Doyeon in her life. She can't imagine living in a world without Kim Doyeon in it.

---

 

As they entered the haunted dormitory, the girls could feel the cold wind keep softly hitting their bodies, giving them goosebumps. Doyeon and Sohye being the brave ones walk in the front while the Kyulkyung, Yoojung and Somi are trailing at the back, pressing their bodies close against each other as they walk following Doyeon's lead.

 

They already checked the 107 room, and also the bathroom. Now they need to wait for around 30 minutes before they can go back to the bathroom and gather the evidences. So in the meantime, they decided to walk deeper into the dark-seems-endless corridor since they can't see the end of it from where they stand. They play rock-paper-scissors to find one loser and ask her to walk on the corridor with camera in hand. Maybe they can accidentally record something interesting as they walk through the corridor.

 

Luck seems not in Yoojung's side today. She lost the game on the second try and have to do the mission. Yoojung is so frightened right now but she knows she needs to do it because game is a game and she need to play fair no matter what. So with a last weak nod, she slowly dragged her feet to walk forward, further, deeper, leaving her members behind.

 

Maybe it's because of the extreme amount of fear that she feels right now, Yoojung failed to detect a pair of concern eyes that look at her intensely.

 

"If you really see a ghost, you have to quickly running back here, you got it?" Doyeon tried to sound nonchalant as she said that to Yoojung when in fact she's so worried for the latter.

 

Doyeon keeps eyeing Yoojung's small figure as the latter took her steps. She is worried for the girl but she can't voice out her concern because same like Yoojung, she also a someone who play fairly. Yoojung lost in the game so she has to do the punishment. But Doyeon inwardly swear to herself that if anything happened to Yoojung, she will be the first person to save her even if it means she has to broke the rule or even her own ethic.

God knows how hard Doyeon trying to gluing her feet on the ground where she's currently standing on when all she wanted to do is running to Yoojung and hold the latter's hand. Because even though it's kind of subtle, even though they have a very limited light around them right now, Doyeon still able to realize the nervous gaze in Yoojung's eyes before she departed, or how her hands trembled a little, and how her usually pinkish lips become paler. It's like a torture for Doyeon to see her precious best friend suffered like that but still decided to play along in the game.

 

Doyeon's clenched her fists hard when she saw Yoojung abruptly stopped on her track, petrified. She immediately knows that something is not right.

 

"Screw this." Doyeon thought to herself and planning to take a step forward to approach Yoojung. She didn't want to run because she knows as the bravest one among the girls, as their main pillar right now, she needs to remind calm. If she ever looks panic, lost her cool and recklessly running to Yoojung, the other girls surely will be in a bigger mess and making commotions out of it. And besides she's holding the camera for them right now. That's why she stands at the back, furtherst to Yoojung. She needs to carefully make her steps, she thought.

 

Just before she moves her foot, Somi already beat her by half running to Yoojung to checking on her. Yeah, their silly maknae who doesn't look like and act like maknae most of the time will finally show her maknae's side at rare time like this. Somi might love to order her unnies around like a boss (maknae on top) but her unnies know that she really love and cherish them.

 

"Unnie, you okay?" Somi softly asked Yoojung from behind as she's approaching her. When she stands close enough to the shorter girl, Somi finally can see the glistening tears that flowing down from Yoojung's eyes.

 

"She's crying." Somi urgently inform her other unnies at the back who immediately come rushing toward them after hearing what Somi said.

 

Doyeon softly sighed after seeing Yoojung's state up close. Yoojung mistakenly think her tall best friend is sighing because she's upset at her for being a crybaby again, so Yoojung tried her best to stop her cry by pouting and closed tight. She hangs her head low, afraid to see Doyeon's face not because she's not ready to face the latter's wrath but more because she doesn't want to see the disappointment in Doyeon's eyes. She thought Doyeon must be disappointed at her because the tall girl always told her to be braver when Yoojung naturally is a coward. Doyeon meant good. She just wants Yoojung to be a stronger someone. She knows she will always do her best to protect Yoojung without no one told her to, nor before Yoojung asked her to, but no matter how much she wanted to always be there for Yoojung, she knows she can't always be there. Because she's just a best friend. There's always a boundary and limitation to everything.

 

Yoojung flinched a little when she feels Doyeon's presence in front of her, towering her while Somi keeps protectively hugging her from her side.

Yoojung doesn't need to lift her head to know that it's indeed Doyeon who stand in front of her. Even though she kinda afraid of her best friend right now, she feels relieved and also safe with Doyeon's presence in front of her. She always believe that nothing bad will happen to her when Doyeon's around. Yes, she believes in Doyeon that much.

 

"You see something?" Yoojung was surprised when she heard how soft Doyeon's voice is when she asked her. Doyeon is not mad at her! She can tell after hearing the way she spoke earlier. Yoojung feels so much better now. But since she still feel weak both because of crying and the shock after seeing 'thing' she maybe saw, she could only nodding her head and sniffed.

 

"Unnie, so today i visited a cafe near my house and i saw a very cute dog in there, but sadly i didn't have much time to spare because i have to go to school. I played with it for awhile then i ate-- blablabla`" Somi seriously telling a story to Yoojung, trying to distract her mind from whatever thing that scared her and made her cry. It somehow works because Yoojung starts to pay a full attention on Somi's story.

"Even after i tell you all of this, i have to admit that i still feel a bit scared. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter