Chapter 1

The Celestials: the Fallen and the Banished

Jimin walked briskly to the lower campus quad, where his friends would be waiting. Tonight was the concert that everybody was waiting for, as it would feature some of the greates rappers in the nation like Rapmonster, Jhope, and Suga. Seeing his friends Taehyung, Jin, and Jungkook from the distance, Jimin started to walk a bit faster. After all, they were late to the concert and Jimin didn't want to make his friends wait even longer. “Aish, why are you so late?,” Taehyung said, unsuccessfully attempting to sound angry. Jimin shrugged, grinning a bit until his eyes formed a little pair of crescent moons on his face. Taehyung laughed, pinching Jimin's plump cheeks and they all started walking towards the venue. Casually exchanging conversations with each other, they arrived at the concert in no time, where there were thousands of students bustling all throughout the audience. Luckily, the concert has been delayed about half an hour due to technical difficulties with the sound system; they wouldn't miss a single part of the concert.

 

Jimin was feeling very excited, and even started to dance a bit in a silly way until his eyes met a girl's. But instead of awkwardly smiling, she kept staring at him, as if gazing at something abominable behind him. Then, he felt her presence; yet when he finally realized her true identity, she was gone, just as a smoke would disappear into the thin air. He looked around, searching for her presence among the crowd of humans, just to hear the sound of the concert starting.

 

“It's a devil,” he whispered to himself. “How did she end up in this campus? I thought my presence was strong enough to deter any devils near the area...” Taehyung noticed his mumbling and nudged him on the arm, throwing a concerned look despite the increasing volumes of people screaming around them. Jimin managed to put out a smile, nudging Taehyung back and dancing to the beats, acting completely normally and earning a satisfied look from Taehyung.

Lisa swiftly ran back out of the hall, breathless and panting; she never ran so quickly in her life. She looked around while catching her breath, occasionally throwing a nervous glance behind her. She never expected an archangel to be so near her, and she expected less that he would make a direct eye contact with her. Although she concealed her presence thoroughly (thanks to a trick an archdevil taught her when she was younger), an archangel, of course, would have surely noticed. Yet in the back of her mind, she hoped that he hadn't noticed, and shook her head a couple times in order to clear her mind off the thought.

 

Suddenly overwhelmed by exhaustion, Lisa fell on the ground. Why did she think it was a good idea to go angel-hunting in the middle of their territory? All she could think of was the flow of energy and excitement going through her as she felt an angel's presence, a rather strong one, nearby. At the time, she had to do something, as she wasn't quite in a good mood and had to prove that she was the dominant devil to her group of friends. She felt a gentle tap on her shoulder, and as she was caught off guard, she let out an unintended shriek, turning around quickly and rather violently, poised to kill whoever she would find behind her. Jennie, surprised by Lisa's overreaction, quickly stepped back. "Whoa, whoa, calm down, you would actually kill someone with those pretty hands of yours," Jennie quickly said, laughing afterwards at how serious Lisa still looked. Then, as she was about to say something more, Jennie felt the presence; it was subtle, as if it was originating from a faraway source, but strong and firm, indicating that the angel must be high ranking and therefore dangerous.

 

"Let's get out of here," breathed Jennie, grabbing Lisa's arms and throwing a fierce look with her large eyes. Lisa, too tired now to move, just sat there blankly, as if waiting for Jennie to carry her. Jennie, knowing how it always was with Lisa, sighed with wide open, and spread her devil wings wide open. In an instant, she had Lisa behind her back, gently swooping low above the university campus and leaving the area full of angels without caring about being detected.

 

Jimin wasn't able to enjoy the concert like he usually did. He was puzzled about the devil showing up rather boldly despite his strong presence and those of all other angels near him. More bewildering was the fact that he was not able to feel her presence until their eyes met, and that she disappeared before he could grasp her presence more strongly within the concert hall. He finally got up, smiled his crescent-eyes smile to his friends, and walked away without saying anything. Taehyung and Jin looked at each other, confused at how weird Jimin was acting that day, but they didn't bother saying anything, assuming that Jimin was probably sick or tired. Jungkook, however, had on a worried look about his face, and ran after Jimin, finally catching up to him, even though Jimin was walking at an unbelievably fast speed.

 

"What's the matter, are you feeling alright?" asked Jungkook, looking worried and slightly nervous. "Haha, yeah, I'm fine," laughed Jimin, "I'm just a bit tired right now, and I think I need to rest a bit." Jungkook, finally relieved but still not completely satisfied, shrugged and hugged Jimin, saying, "Alright. If you need anything, call me and I will be there before you can say 'Jungkook.'" Jimin smiled, said "Thanks, Jungkook, thanks a lot," and walked off into the quad where he met his friends earlier that day. Instead of walking towards his dorm, however, he closed his eyes, trying to feel the presence once more; at the same time he felt the presence of the two devil, he saw them flying above him, gracefully gliding through the air. He instinctively leaped up into the air, spreading his own wings and pursuing them, not intending to pick a fight but simply curious to find out why they were at the university.

 

Jennie seemed a bit worried about Lisa, although she would have never let her feelings be expressed through words. She simply talked about nothing in particular, often noting how the night clouds looked like a hippo or a bunny's face. She was cruising above the campus when she felt the presence coming towards her; not wanting to seem worried in front of Lisa, she neither slowed down or sped up, although her grip on Lisa was now stronger and she talked a lot less than before. Lisa smiled a bit, noticing such small details, but keeping closed, not because she didn't want to friend, but because she simply was too tired to talk; besides, the soft breeze of the night sky against her cheeks felt way too good. Yet Lisa was also feeling uncomfortable with the speed with which the presence was getting nearer to them; it was simply way too fast for any normal devil or an angel, confirming the fact that whatever was approaching was definitely an archangel. At some point, however, the presence overtook them, and now they were the ones approaching it; yet Jennie did not slow down, looking determined as always. When Lisa saw the handsome boy she spotted earlier, the presence they both felt was stronger than ever, making both of them shiver in anticipation. But they safely passed him, and nothing was going to happen, or so they thought, until the figure leaped up into the air, spread its huge white wings, and started pursuing them at a gentle pace.

 

"," muttered Lisa, looking behind her. "What should we do? Run away, or confront him? There are two of us, and one of him. We can take a puny little archangel by ourselves, right?" asked Jennie, sounding confident; but they both knew, no matter how strong they tried to make themselves appear on the outside, that an archangel of his presence can easily defeat even twenty devils in one flap of his wings; they would just have to wait and see what he will do. But for the longest time in the lives of Jennie and Lisa, Jimin made no hostile move against them, but simply followed them at a slower speed than they knew he was capable of. Somehow, this made them feel more nervous, but there was nothing they could do at this point. They simply had to wait, but it seemed that they had to wait too long.

 

Jimin noticed how the two devils seemed unmoved by his insensitive stalking; they neither sped up nor slowed down, and didn't even throw a tiniest glance behind them. For some time he thought they failed to feel his presence, but that couldn't have been true; after all, his presence was extremely strong for any devil within hundred miles radius not to notice. He never thought he would find being ignored by a couple devils a little enjoyable, but he decided that such treatment of humiliation on his part wasn't fitting for an archangel. Then, he felt the approaching presence of a group of devils; he was approaching the devils' territory. Just when he was about to speed up and try to catch up to the two devils he was following, they turned around without warning, making Jimin almost run into them. He stopped three inches before them, not able to hide his surprised face.

 

Jennie and Lisa grew increasingly tensed up by the archangel. Why was he following them? Is he willing to follow them all the way into the devils' territory? "We're close," remarked Jennie, looking off into the mountains that marked the border between the neutral territory and the devils' territory. Lisa, suddenly realizing that they were about to drag an archangel into an area full of devils but void of any archdevils, whispered into Jennie's ears," I don't think this is a good idea. There are only about two hundred archdevils and two hundred archangels spread throughout the earth, and they are rare for a reason. I think our instructor told us not to mess with one because of how dangerous they are; we can't just let him follow us into our territory and destroy everything." Jennie, suddenly scared at the thought and not caring anymore about what Lisa will think of her, now looked at Lisa straight in the eye. "I'm gonna turn around, and I'm gonna talk to him. I don't think he means any harm, and he doesn't look the type that likes to pick random fights for no reason." Lisa, hearing Jennie but not really hearing her, simply nodded with a blank expression. Jennie turned around, facing the archangel flying towards them. She was not prepared for what happened next, however; he almost slammed into her at full speed, stopping just a few inches in front of her. Lisa, who was right behind Jennie still, now looked up to examine the archangel's face, noticing how he looked extremely cute yet y at the same time. She unwillingly blushed, and buried her head behind Jennie's neck, and let her do all the talking.

 

"Why are you following us? We do not want any trouble, and we do not want to fight with you," Jennie enunciated in a firm voice, sounding as if she was reading off of a book. She, too, noticed how good looking the archangel was, and gazed into his hazel eyes, which did not seem a single bit threatening at all. But she had more important things to think about than an angel's complexions, and shook off the thought soon after. "I was just curious... I just wanted to know what brought you into our territory," said Jimin, in a soft and mellow voice that sounded like a song of a nightingale. He was talking to Lisa, and both Lisa and Jennie knew that from the way he stared into her, his eyes constantly moving between Lisa's right and left eyes. 

 

"Um, I was there for the concert," lied Lisa, looking below into the landscape. She thought to herself again, 'You're stupid, Lisa. You don't need to bring an angel's head every couple of days to prove you are strong. You're stupid, you're stupid, you're so stupid!' While she was still busy condemning herself in her head, Jimin suddenly spoke, "Hi, my name is Jimin. I like contemporary rap, too; Suga, Rap Monster, and Jhope have such an amazing and unique style that just drags you into the beat. Don't you think so?" Lisa, taken aback by the questions, and obviously not knowing how to respond, just nodded her head, looking straight into Jimin's beautiful deep eyes again. But when she realized what she was doing, she quickly looked down, slightly ashamed of herself, going back to condemning herself, this time on a different topic. After a couple seconds of awkward silence, Jennie quickly said, "My name is Jennie. And in fact, they all have amazing skills and techniques that indeed make the audience super excited. But hey, um, we're kind of tired, and we would like to go back home. I'm very glad you simply wanted to know why we were over there by the territory, and we're sorry if we caused you to feel suspicious. But we really meant no harm, and I think you shouldn't follow us all the way into the territory, because I personally know that some of the devils in there are indeed looking for trouble all the time. Nice meeting you, but we really have to go." Lisa, amazed at how brave Jennie now was, simply continued to stare at the landscape below, wishing that whatever was going on between them would be over soon.

 

Jimin slumped back into his dorm room, not really tired but not energized either. He lazily changed into his pajamas, and not feeling like eating dinner, went straight to his bed and sat on its edge. He did not know why he was so eager to follow the two girls, why he ran off so quickly and why it was so urgent for him to know why they were here. Normally, he would have ignored such intrusion with a slight shake of his head, but somehow, he felt differently about the girl who came to the concert. He knew that they weren't in the middle of the angelic territory for a concert; no sane devil would risk getting killed, especially with Jimin's strong presence so powerful throughout the area. Yet they came, and he was still puzzled. With a sudden feeling of exhaust overcoming his body, Jimin let himself fall on the bed, slightly smiling for no reason. Or so he thought, when the face of one of the girls popped up in his head and he tried to think of what her name was. "What is her name... What did she say her name was?" Jimin, giving up his efforts, tried to sing himself to sleep, failing again when Lisa's face once again vividly came across his mind. He felt haunted; was this some sort of magic trick they put on him? Restless and not really exhausted any longer, Jimin got up, changed into his best clothes, and walked out of the room. 

 

Lisa was sleepless in her room. Why did she keep thinking about the archangel who almost followed them into their territory? She knew that it was dangerous to associated with any angels, much less an archangel; but deep down in her heart, she wanted to talk to him, to make friends with him, and... she really didn't know why she wanted to meet him. But hours passed by, and Lisa was still awake, thinking about the handsome boy. She tried to shake off the thought multiple times, but now gave up her efforts, since it was basically impossible not to picture him next to her. Then, out of a sudden urge similar to that she had when she went off to the rap concert in the middle of the angels' territory, she got up, changed into her skinny jeans and black tee, and walked out of the room, not really knowing where she was going. 

 

Jimin was feeling the presence of the devil, and for some reason, as he was approaching her, he felt nervous, and slightly shy. He couldn't have been scared of her; he knew that much. But what was this feeling that was overtaking him? Shaking off the thought, he continued towards the presence, spotting her far away, seemingly approaching him at the same time. When he was close enough to be able to hear her, he slowed down, cleared his throat, and spoke quieter than he would have normally spoken, as it was dark and completely silent around them. "Hi, it's nice meeting you again; what brings you here in this hour?" Jimin suddenly felt embarrassed, and his cheeks turned rosy as he studied her expression and saw that, unlike her expression at their last encounter, she was smiling faintly. He kept staring into her eyes, and noticed how beautifully defined her nose was; then, her name popped into his head, and he knew for certain that he liked her. He liked Lisa, and although it would have been a bad arrangement in terms of their identities and their tendencies, he did not care anymore. "I don't exactly know why I'm out here... I guess I just wanted to walk around outside. I wanted to think about something," Lisa said, looking up into Jimin's dark hazel eyes and looking back down at her shoes.

 

They got back down on the ground, and started walking around aimlessly throughout the region. The area they were standing on was neutral, and they felt safe to be by themselves. And for a moment, Lisa was feeling very happy, and she wanted to tell him everything about her life, and also listen to what he has to say. She never felt like this before, but the thought of who she was really walking next to was bothering her in the back of her mind. At one point she decided that she did not care; if this was her last moment and her last breath, she couldn't have cared less. She reasoned that he would have ended her life long time ago if he wanted to, back when they met each other at the concert hall. 'He's something different,' she thought to herself, 'and I don't know what it is about him, but I think I like him...' Lisa caught herself in the middle of her thought and mentally scolded herself for thinking such things about a guy, no matter how attractive he was. In the end, they just sat down on the grass, and stayed silent for some moment, thinking about any and everything. However, after some time, they could only think about each other; they wanted to talk, yet something within them prevented from doing so. They were no longer bothered by each others' presence, and in fact started enjoying the warming air around them, as if attracted to an opposite electrically charged objects. Their thoughts slowly melded into a hazy fog, and they both unintentionally fell asleep on the grass at the same time, with Jimin's head barely lying against Lisa's neck. 

 

Hello! Thank you so much for reading and subscribing; I never thought writing with encouragement would fuel my self esteem to rise at such a fast pace, but this process has been a really thrilling one for me so far! Please feel free to comment and give me suggestions and constructive feedback! I always appreicate all the helpful remarks, and would be glad to listen to anyone's thoughts. It's very hard for me to write with such little time I have, but I am planning on continuing the story whenever my tight schedule allows for it. Once again, thank you for your reading!

-cassell