Chapter 4: Letting Go [Part 2]

Love Me Not

“Hello SooAh!” WonPil greeted SooAh with a bright smile as he approached her.

 

“Hey...” SooAh flashed out a fake smile. She really had no idea of what to do.

 

“Shin SooAh, I’ll only give you 15 minutes to settle you personal problems. You owe me a report due today. Remember that,” DoWoon acted as he used his serious and firm tone of voice to speak to SooAh.

 

“Yes sir! I’ll be back as soon as possible to complete my task that is due today!” SooAh stressed on every work. She wanted to make sure that WonPil heard and know that she was really busy.

 

“I’ll call you if you are not back in 15 minutes,” DoWoon emphasized on the time limit given. SooAh finally understood why DoWoon passed his smartphone to her.

 

“I understand sir! I’ll be back in 15 minutes,” SooAh was thankful that DoWoon could think of such idea.

 

DoWoon smiled at SooAh to assure her that she would be fine. He left her in the cafeteria with WonPil. He was worried to leave SooAh alone with the guy who ha broken her heart. However, he knew SooAh was strong enough to handle her own problems.

 

WonPil watched DoWoon who was walking away. After he lost sight of DoWoon, he shifted his attention back to SooAh, “I thought you were the manger.”

 

“You clearly have forgotten about me. I don’t understand why you are still here looking for me. He has been the best manager for a year. Therefore, he has the power and authority to order me around and give me instructions. You heard him... I only have 15 minutes. What do you want?” SooAh went straight to the point.

 

“Come here, let’s have a seat first,” WonPil subconsciously grabbed SooAh’s left wrist.

 

SooAh pulled her hand away. She did not like it when strangers hold or touch her especially guy. She really felt uncomfortable. SooAh wanted to go back to her office but she knew WonPil would keep coming back if she continues to avoid him.

 

“I’m sorry...” WonPil quickly apologized. SooAh gestured him to walk in front and she would follow behind. She choose to sit at another chair even when WonPil had pulled out a chair for her.

 

The amount of hate she had for him was visible. She treated him like a dirt since he had treated her like a trash. It was an obvious sign that she had let go of him.

__________

 

The cafeteria was really noisy because it was still lunch time but at a hidden corner, there was an absolute silent. There were two people who sat facing each other without having a conversation. The man was looking at the lady while the lady avoided making eye contact with the man.

 

SooAh could not stand the long silent anymore. She cleared and repeated her question, “What do you want?”

 

WonPil kept quiet. He was thinking whether he should say it or not.

 

“Mr Kim WonPil, you only have 15 minutes. Please don’t waste your time,” SooAh reminded him about the time limit.

 

WonPil was still quiet. He was still thinking.

 

“What do you want from me? I thought you are happy with NaYeon? Or... did she dump you?” SooAh asked even though the answer about NaYeon did not matter to her.

 

WonPil nodded his head, “You are right... She left me for someone better.”

 

“Oh I see,” SooAh did not even show any sympathy. If she could, she would say it in front of his face, Good for you!

 

“Do you want to know why? Each time I talked to NaYeon, I would mention your name without fail. I would make comparison between the both of you. Of course, you were better in almost everything. I also realized that I was happier when I was with you. How stupid of me to leave you for someone like her?

 

I regretted my actions. When I said I still love you, I really mean it. I was blinded by NaYeon’s outer beauty that I’ve forgotten about the beauty of your heart,” WonPil shared.

__________

 

“I was struggling a lot to get you out of my mind because the memories of us kept haunting me each day. I became a man who lives in guilt for cheating on you,” WonPil continued.

 

SooAh listened to WonPil as he talked. No matter what he had told her, she already had her heart closed so tightly for him. Afterall, it was the last time she would meet or listen to him. SooAh had to only bear with it for a few minutes.

 

“I could remember the good times that we shared together. The day where out dates would be filled with full of fun and laughter. The random and crazy things we did together. The weird stares we got from people for being so strange and silly.

 

Those memories were so precious to me. I used to smile and laugh with you whenever I thought of the silly you. Now, I became an idiot who goes around smiling and laughing alone whenever I thought of you,” WonPil added.

 

SooAh flashed a weak smile as she remembered those days. WonPil was right, they used to be happy together. They were a couple who used to be a center of attention wherever they went. Just like WonPil said, those had become just a memory.

__________

 

“If only I was being fair to you... if only I was able to understand your working situation... If only I did not sulk that night... I guess we could still save this relationship,” WonPil expressed his regrets.

 

After staying quiet for quite some time, SooAh finally said something. “It was partly my fault too. I’m sorry for insulting you and your love for music. I was just frustrated to see you going around doing gigs but you came home empty-handed,” she paused.

 

SooAh sighed, :You ran away from me with that problem of yours by going to another girl. You fell in love with her because she supported you but... she ended up leaving you. It only took her a few weeks and she could not bear with you. How about me? I stayed by your side for nearly three years even when I had to deal with the same problem as her.

 

Mr Kim WonPil... Maybe we could still save the relationship if you had chosen me over her that day. We could probably talk about what went wrong and start over again. The choice you made that day was your own mistake.

 

As a person, you are a good guy. As a musician, you are talented. As a boyfriend, there’s a lot for you to learn. But... what’s the use of all that now? You are no longer my priority and I really hate you for breaking my heart.”

 

SooAh looked at WonPil carefully. The bright person who she once knew had become pitiful.

__________

 

“I know we can no longer wish for a happy ending. Even the bright future that we once imagine together is gone. That’s why I keep thinking in my head if I should say this or not but I can’t. Honestly, even after the break up, I’ve been holding on to you for so long.

 

Maybe because I need a confirmation that you are happy. Maybe because I need a proof that you are doing well without me. Maybe because I need to see for myself that you’ve completely forgotten about me.

 

Honestly, I’ve been holding on to you for so long. I’ve seen you smile. I’ve seen that you are eating well. I’ve seen that you can cope and move on with your life without me. Seeing these, there’s nothing else I can do for you. I shall not worry about you anymore. The only way to make you happy is for me to let you go.

 

I hope this pain will be temporary. I wish that you’ll meet someone who can make you happier because that’s the kind of love you deserve. 15 minutes is up. I have to say goodbye to you right now,” WonPil checked the time on his watch.

 

He stood up an got ready to leave. It was hard for him but there was nothing else he could do. WonPil knew that SooAh would not accept him after what he had done to her. However, he felt relieved that he could explain his situation to SooAh.

 

SooAh stopped WonPil from leaving by grabbing his right wrist. She wanted to say her final farewell to him too, “I should be the one telling you that instead. Mr Kim WonPil, let this be the last time I’m seeing you and having a conversation with you. Like how you’ve finally be able to let me go, I’m letting go of you too. Goodbye,” SooAh stood up and released WonPil’s wrist. She looked at WonPil for the last time and rushed out of the cafeteria since DoWoon’s smart phone was ringing.

 

WonPil waited for SooAh to turn around to look at him for the last time but she never did. He realized that is was really over between them. The relationship of SooAh and WonPil which began with full of love had ended just like that.


Hello DayDreamers! I'm sorry for taking a long time to post Chapter 4. My work and assignments suddenly piled up and I had to get it done as soon as possible. I hope you enjoy the heartbreaking Chapter 4. That being said... I wonder "who do you ship Shin SooAh with?" (Please click the sentence in red to cast your vote)