Chapter 3: Letting Go [Part 1]

Love Me Not

After the break up with WonPil, SooAh kept herself busy. She would report to work early and leave the office really late. When she completed her tasks, she would offer to help the other employees especially the interns.

 

While she was busy typing out her report, her smart phone suddenly vibrated. She checked her smart phone and there was a text message from someone who had not contacted her for a few weeks.

 

SooAh stared at her screen for a long time, “Kim WonPil.” She could avoid from reading the text message by deleting it but she was a little curious.

 

Can we meet for the last time? - WonPil Oppa

 

Who are you?

 

Kim WonPil, your oppa. - WonPil Oppa

 

Oh... Not interested.

 

Please SooAh... there’s something I want to tell you. - WonPil Oppa

 

I’m very busy.

 

This will be the last time. I promise. - WonPil Oppa

 

No thank you.

 

Like you, I’m having a hard time too.- WonPil Oppa

 

I’m over you.

 

After replying her last text message to WonPil, SooAh immediately switched off her smartphone and kept it inside her drawer. She continued doing her work She had no time to entertain a pathetic loser as she had other important things to do. SooAh regretted for replying to the first text message.

__________

 

“Shin SooAh! Lunch!” her manager called her out. Seeing how SooAh did not respond to him, he personally approached her and knocked on her working desk. “Shin SooAh! It’s lunch time!” he repeated.

 

SooAh was too focused on doing her report that she did not hear or see her manager. “Shin SooAh! It’s lunch time!” the manager nudged her.

 

“Huh? Already?” SooAh seemed a lost and confused. She looked at the time on her watch. Then she looked at her manager, “I’ll skip lunch today. Boss told me to complete this report by today.”

 

“You are pushing yourself too hard. Give yourself a break. Boss isn’t that cruel to let you starve. I think he’ll personally ask you out for lunch if he knows you aren’t eating. Let’s go!” her manager pulled her office chair to the door.

 

“YA YOON DOWOON!” SooAh raised her voice.

 

“You left me with no choice...” DoWoon became timid. He did not dare to look at SooAh in the eye as he was speaking. If SooAh’s eyes could kill people instantly, she would have been a serial killer.

 

The two interns were shocked while the other two employees were laughing. Scary SooAh had made a come back. The other employees noticed the changes in SooAh and they felt very awkward to be around Sweet SooAh.

 

The two interns looked at the two employees strangely. It seemed like it was not the first time that it happened. Since the two interns only joined the Event Management department two weeks ago, they had not get a chance to witness the crazy moments of SooAh and DoWoon.

 

On usual days, both SooAh and DoWoon would argue with each other about everything and anything. However, it was just a friendly argument. They gave an excuse that they missed being rivals just like those days during their internship period. SooAh and DoWoon would also play pranks on each other. The atmosphere in the office had been very lively, friendly and entertaining thanks to the both of them.

 

However, for the past few weeks, the atmosphere had been really boring. SooAh and DoWoon only focused on completing their tasks and rarely talked to each other. None of the employee knew what happened except for the manager and the serious workaholic. DoWoon was giving SooAh some space to settle down.

__________

 

“Where do you want to go for lunch? It’s my treat,” DoWoon said.

 

“Of course you have to treat me. I’ve nothing with me except for my employee pass,” SooAh rolled her eyes.

 

“Should we go somewhere near?” DoWoon asked.

 

SooAh let out a sigh. She knew where DoWoon wanted to bring her for lunch, “McDonald’s?”

 

DoWoon smiled. SooAh shook her head, “You have never change a bit since our internship days. We have been going there for 4 years.”

 

“Pfft... says someone who has been eating at the same chicken shop for 4 years,” DoWoon counterattacked SooAh.

 

They looked at each other. After a good second of intense stare, both SooAh and DoWoon said in unison, “I hate you.”

__________

 

DoWoon looked at SooAh. She had been eating very well. She was also in her greatest condition. She reported to work each day without fail and was able to complete all the tasks given to her without giving excuses. She seemed unaffected by the recent breakup.

 

DoWoon remembered those days when SooAh was unable to handle her breakup. She lost her appetite. She took a long break from work and DoWoon was the one who had to complete her work for her. It affected her a lot that it took her a long time to overcome it until she met WonPil.

 

“It seems like you handle your recent break up really well,” DoWoon commented.

 

SooAh put down her half eaten burger on the tray. She suddenly lost the appetite to eat. “Urgh... of all topic, do we have to talk about it now? Coincidentally, he sent me a text message earlier.”

 

“What does he want from you?” DoWoon was interested to know.

 

“Should I set you up on a date with him?”

 

“Why?”

 

SooAh crumpled a piece of clean tissue paper and threw it at DoWoon, “Since you are interested in him. Maybe you can also help me by telling him that I’m already over him. Kim WonPil is my past and he’ll forever be my past. That’s final.”

__________

 

SooAh and DoWoon walked in to the company’s building. They went to the company’s cafeteria as DoWoon wanted to buy some drinks and desserts for the other staff in the office. It was SooAh who told him to treat the other staff because she felt unfair that the manager only treated her and not the others.

 

As they were waiting for the orders, SooAh heard someone familiar calling out her name, “Shin SooAh!”

 

“What?” she hit DoWoon’s right arm.

 

“Ouch! Why did you do that?” DoWoon was confused as SooAh hit him for no reason. He was just standing at the counter and waiting for the orders.

 

“Didn’t you call my name just now?”

 

“No... Why would I?”

 

SooAh froze. It was confirmed, “Speaking of the devil...”

 

DoWoon noticed the changes on SooAh’s face, “What’s wrong?”

 

“He’s here,” SooAh sighed.

 

“Didn’t he tell you that he’s coming here?”

 

“I don’t remember him mentioning anything about that... maybe he did after I switched off my phone. I told you I have nothing with me. How would I know? What am I going to do now?”

 

“I think the best way is to give him a chance to talk to you for the last time. How long are you going to ignore and avoid him? He won’t give up on you until he gets to settle everything with you,” DoWoon gave SooAh an advice.

 

“Wow... someone has experience,” SooAh teased DoWoon who never had a girlfriend before.

 

DoWoon rolled his eyes, “You don’t have to say that in public!”

 

“Here’s my phone. I’m leaving,” DoWoon passed his smartphone to SooAh before he carried the drinks and a box of desserts.

 

“What is this for?” SooAh looked at DoWoon’s smartphone. She was confused.

 

“Shh... he’s coming here,” DoWoon told her.


How do you enjoy the story so far? Let me know in the comment section below~ Thank you! :)