Chapter 1: Congratulations [Part 1]

Love Me Not

“The number you’ve dialed is unavailable. Please try again later,” it was that monotone voice lady again.

 

She let out a long sigh as she stared at her smart phone for a long period of time. It had been two weeks since she last heard his voice. They got into a big argument and the next day, he told her that he needed a break.

 

She agreed as she thought that it was partly her fault for pushing him too hard. She did not know that he would take a longer time to cool down. She missed him.

 

*ring ring*

 

She rushed out of the office to answer the call. “Hello?!” she straight away answered the call without looking at the screen.

 

Why do you sound so excited? It’s just me, SungJin Oppa!

 

“Oh... why do you call?” she asked.

 

I’m on my way to fetch you from work. You owe me dinner tonight. We made a deal this morning.

 

“Oh shoot... Oppa, can I treat you another day? I’m really busy right now,” that was the only excuse she could think of.

 

Nope! A promise is a promise. See you later my little SooAh!

 

“But... O--”

 

*toot toot*

 

She looked at the screen of her smart phone to check if SungJin really hung up on her, “This Oppa will get it from me later!”

 

SungJin did it. He hung up before SooAh could say anything else. That was the only way he could stop her from negotiating with him. SungJin rarely got an opportunity to have dinner with SooAh who was always busy with work. Therefore, he did not want to miss this golden chance.

__________

 

I’ve arrived. - SungJin Oppa

 

Please wait for an hour. I’m still in a meeting.

 

The meeting had ended an hour ago and SooAh was actually preparing to get off work. It was SooAh’s timid revenge to SungJin who just hung up on her.

 

If it’s you, I can wait no matter how long it takes. - SungJin Oppa

 

SooAh thought that her timid revenge would work on SungJin but she was wrong. SungJin was too calm and relax for her. He knew a way to handle her which other people could not do. Also, SooAh would end up giving in to SungJin because he was too nice to her.

 

She let out a long sigh, “I can never win over this guy...”

 

“I’m going off first,” she kept her laptop in her bag, tidied up her desk a little and then finally made a move.

 

The other employees watched SooAh as she leaves the office. Then, they looked at their manager. She was the only employee who was brave enough to leave the office first before the manager. She might seem to be the most rebellious and disrespectful employee in the office. However, SooAh had contributed a lot in building up the small company because of her fresh ideas.

 

Not many know that SooAh was promoted to be a manager before but she turned down the offer. She thought that she did not have the qualities to be a leader. Instead, she recommended her rival from her internship period and offered to work under him. She made a really odd decision but the both of them had been maintaining a good relationship after the promotion.

__________

 

“Let’s go!” SooAh boarded SungJin’s car.

 

SungJin looked at the time on his watch. Then, he confirmed the time on the digital clock in his car. He was not satisfied as he checked the time on his smart phone, “I thought you have to complete a report?”

 

“I was just messing around with you,” SooAh confessed.

 

SungJin flashed out a warm smile and ruffled SooAh’s hair, “Aigoo...”

 

“Oppa!” she pushed away his hand. SooAh did not like it when anyone touches her especially her hair.

 

“Okay... Okay... I’m sorry!” SungJin chuckled. He missed those time where he could joke around with SooAh. The young lady had changed a lot as she grows up. However, she was still the cute little girl to SungJin’s eyes.

 

There was an awkward silence in the car. SungJin glanced over to see what SooAh was doing. He saw that she was staring at her smartphone.

 

SungJin cleared , “Did something happen between you and WonPil?”

 

“How did you know? Did you meet WonPil Oppa?” SooAh suddenly became alert.

 

“We are not even close. Why would he meet me personally? It’s written all over your face SooAh... Also think about it, why would you call me to send you to work this morning? You are having problems with your relationship yet you are hiding it from me. I’m disappointed... Didn’t I tell you to treat me like your older brother? I’ll always spare my pair of ears for you to share your problems,” SungJin expressed his disappointment.

 

SooAh kept quiet. It was true that she would call WonPil to send her to work when she was running late. It was true that WonPil and SungJin knew each other but they were not close enough to have a personal conversation. It was true that she was having a relationship crisis with WonPil.

 

“I just...” SooAh did not know where to begin.

 

SungJin cut her off, “Save it for later. We’re here.” He brought SooAh to her favourite cafe.

__________

 

Both SooAh and SungJin entered the cafe together. SungJin noticed someone familiar was sitting near the counter. He nudged SooAh, “Isn’t that Kim WonPil?”

 

“Yes...” SooAh confirmed. It was obviously Kim WonPil.

 

“He is with a girl?” she was unable to see the face of the person who was with WonPil. That person’s back was facing SooAh. However, SooAh could guess that person was a girl judging from her sitting posture.

 

“What are you going to do?” SungJin was curious.

 

“Let’s be seated somewhere near him.. I want to hear their conversation first. I don’t want to blindly accuse him for cheating on me,” SooAh took a menu and covered her face with it while SungJin casually followed her from behind. He walked pass WonPil who did not notice his presence as he was focusing his vision on the girl in front of her.

__________

 

You are so funny NaYeon! Since the first day I met you, I know that you are the right one for me.

 

“Did you hear that?” SooAh talked softly to SungJin.

“He’s talking as if he doesn’t have a girlfriend!” she was dissatisfied.

 

“What are you going to do?” SungJin asked.

 

SooAh stood up, “I’ll end this nonsense today. I’ll confront him.”

 

Before SungJin could stop SooAh, she was already on her way to the table where WonPil and NaYeon were seated. He had no choice but to follow SooAh. SungJin did not want SooAh to create a big scene in the cafe.

 

SooAh approached WonPil slowly. She tried to remain calm as she took a seat beside him, “In life, there are hard times that we need to go through together. However, you couldn’t overcome that little moment and went away for an alternative. Wow really... I didn’t know that you are this type of person Kim WonPil. Congratulations for replacing me with another girl.”

 

“S-S-SooAh... I-I-I can explain,” WonPil stammered. He was surprised to see SooAh beside him followed by SungJin’s presence.

 

“Let’s take a break... I can’t believe I took those words as they were. I thought we needed time to be alone and I respected your decision but I’ve misunderstood the whole situation.

 

As if I never existed in your life, you fell in love with another girl. Congratulations Kim WonPil! You’re really amazing!” SooAh took NaYeon’s glass of cold iced water and poured it over WonPil’s head.

 

“I don’t wish to see you ever again,” she placed her empty glass right in front of WonPil.

 

“You...” she shifted her attention to NaYeon. “Congratulations! I hope your relationship with him will last longer than mine even after this incident,” SooAh grabbed SungJin’s right hand and walked out of the cafe.

 

SungJin followed SooAh quietly. Again, he got to witness SooAh’s breakup.