three

Easel | kaisoo

Kai opened his eyes and the nurse’s face came in greeting. The nurse was checking his blood pressure. Kai massaged his forehead with a free hand and he immediately recognized the same white ceiling and walls.

“Kai-yah!” Baekhyun called from the door and rushed towards him. “Oh thank the heavens you’re okay! I was so worried!”

Kai doesn’t answer.

“Oh my Gosh, did you cut your tongue? Oh God no please.” Baekhyun panicked that almost got the nurse chuckling. “Are you really okay? Don’t worry so much, Sehun will be here----“

“Jongin.” Kai declared, his eyes not leaving the ceiling. “Who is Jongin, Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun paused and thought. Jongin?

“I don’t know who he is.” Baekhyun replied and looked closer. “Are you really okay?”

“Sehun’s a urologist right?”

“Yeah.”

“Then why does he keep visiting me? Is he my friend? Do I have prostate cancer?” Kai asked on and on. Baekhyun shrugged and tried to calm his friend down. “You passed out while screaming for pain so I rushed you here. Boss is also worried about you since you did a good job.”

Kai looked away and gazed at Baekhyun. “I heard things. I kept hearing that name, Jongin.

“Oh, it’s good that you’re okay.” A voice barged in the tensed room along came Sehun with two other nurses. He smiled at Kai. “Is your head feeling alright? Light now? Not hurting or---”

“Can I go home?” It was only Kai’s reply before his thoughts invaded him once again. Many things were seriously bothering him leaving him confused. He never thought he’d encounter such problems as he started his new life but it seemed like he cannot escape who he was.

--

The two rode a taxi and when they got home, Kai was seriously very quiet. He looked like he was thinking deep. Trying to know why that single name is giving him an unwanted nostalgia and creeping pain. Was that Kyungsoo important to him?

But most of all, Who is Kim Jongin?

“Don’t you really know me?” Kai asked Baekhyun that almost seem like a desperate plea. Baekhyun stopped mixing the japchae and pouted at him. “Look, I only know you as Kai. I don’t know who are you and I am also the one trying to help you---“

“I’m sorry.” Kai immediately apologized. “It’s j-just, I’m really confused. I know maybe I shouldn’t bother it but maybe I was a burden? Or maybe…”

“Maybe we should eat?” Baekhyun suggested and gave him a bowl with Japchae. He even served him delicious and healthy side dishes before he urged Kai to talk again. “Continue.”

“I need to see him.” Kai implied. “I-I won’t make a scene…I just…wanted to know what my connection is to him.”

“You think it’ll help you that much? What about the pain? Are you willing to remember now?”

“I don’t know.” Kai looked a bit scared. “But I can’t ignore it. I-I just want to know what happened.”

Baekhyun hesitated for a moment before sighing, “Do you want me to help you?”

“You’ll do that?”

“Of course!” Baekhyun retorted happily and stuffed his cheeks with a sushi roll. “Talking is not merely a problem. Our main difficulty is that if we could see him again.”

“B-But you know Park Chanyeol right? And Dr. Oh knows him too.”

Baekhyun paused, seeing determination within Jongin’s questions.

--

Doe eyes and heart shaped lips.

Kai is so sure that it was the same boy he saw from the supermarket, Taera’s mother and Chanyeol’s wife.

“Who are you?” He whispered in a faint voice. He let his fingers run down the rough canvas as if he was caressing that boy’s face. The boy’s smile was opposite of what he is feeling now. He wondered so much why he painted his face and now he wondered again why does he need to see him?

“Yah! Kai!”

With Baekhyun’s sonorous voice, he ran towards his roommate who was all eyes on his laptop. “I searched him.” Baekhyun says and made him face the laptop. It showed a picture of that boy Kyungsoo who was smiling brightly.

“His name is Do Kyungsoo. Married to Park Chanyeol and he is a son of a writer.”

“How about his mother?”

“Nothing about that.” Baekhyun scrolled down. “He studied at the very same university as Chanyeol when he was in High school.”

Kai just let the information pass in his head but what caught his eyes is a news article. He clicked on it but the slow wifi wasn’t helping that much.

“Oh he got into an accident?” Baekhyun commented, quite dazed. He pitied Kyungsoo as he read a few more information about the boy. Being blind maybe a burden nowadays but since his husband’s a doctor… “Maybe that got him blind.”

Kai seemed to be a bit shocked after confirming his thoughts, “So he was really blind?”

“I saw the way he looked at his daughter. Poor Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun remarked but stopped when someone gave him a call. He excused himself leaving Kai browsing the internet. Kai was so interested about the news articles regarding of the most famous author’s son to become blind but the slow internet isn’t really helping. Instead, he just clicked on Kyungsoo’s images and focused on his smiles.

Oh how he adored that smile.

He glanced at his canvas.

It was the same smile with smiling eyes.

He saw one particular picture but then---

“What the---“

“Sorry, I still have to use it. And you need to sleep.” Baekhyun urged and pushed Kai away. “Go go now, sleep. I needed to watch my favorite drama.”

Kai rolled his eyes when Baekhyun shoved him elsewhere. His mood dropped causing him to sleep on the couch with in a rough mood.

--

The next day was not similar as the past few days. Today, Kai was now more observant of people he could come across with. He diligently finished his job and told Baekhyun that he would go first to explore the whole Seoul. Baekhyun told him to go straight home but instead Kai would reply, “Oh you’re not my mother!”

The streets of Seoul fascinated him. It was not that new but the fun and lively ambiance was giving him a more positive vibes. He bought a stick of tteokbokki while walking and wandering around. It was sunset and the lights illuminating from each mall or stall was seriously pleasing. Gone a day of recognizing his dwelling, Kai went back home. It was such a delight to feel the air and play around by yourself. He felt free from responsibilities or things that might hurt him. He wished that time would help him to recover.

--

“I didn’t know that this is expired.” Kai whispered and inspected the whole line of ramen from the shelf. He got another one and read the expiration date to confirm his doubts. He shrugged and ran towards the boss’ office.

“Oh why hurry?” He even heard Baekhyun who was recently holding a box of vegetables. He ignored the petite boy and slightly opened the door. Realizing his mistake, he hit himself and cleared his throat before knocking.

“S-Sir Kim?”

Jongdae dropped his glass on the floor stirring curiousness from Kai.

“Sir Kim? Is everything alright? Can I come in please?”

Jongdae massaged his forehead and bit his lips. “Sure.”

Kai simply went inside and bowed. He presented the pack of ramen to Kim Jongdae. “Sir, the whole line of this ramen is expired. What shall we do about it?”

“I need to talk about the supplier then. I got those only yesterday.” Jongdae answered. “Anyways,” he pointed his phone that was charging at a corner. “C-Could you pass me my phone?”

Kai didn’t oblige and did what he was told to. Secretly, he noticed that Jongdae’s left hand was trembling while the other was not. He set down the noodles and gave Jongdae the phone.

“Why the is this on silent?” Jongdae alleged and answered the call, swiping his finger across the glossy surface. “Oh hi!”

Kai felt that he was needed no more but he was proud that he was doing his job right.

“I’m sorry we didn’t go and eat yesterday. Uncle was just so busy---would you like to eat samgyeopsal? Oh yes, I am free today. Alright, I’ll be there baby girl, eo.”

The call ended and as well as Kai’s attempt to leave the office but a cough made him stop on his tracks.

“Could you help me with something Kim Kai?”

Kai looked interested, his vision still slowly turning at Kim Jongdae’s trembling wrist. “Is your hand okay?”

Jongdae seemed to be surprised, “I-It’s been a while though.”

“Your peripheral nerves might’ve been stimulated for it to tremble or maybe brain malfunctions.”

Jongdae suppressed a laugh, “You…you seem to know something about this don’t you?”

Kai appeared to smirk. He didn’t even know why he said that but those words were rather comfortable to say.

“Anyways, could you help me with something? My niece wanted me to eat with them but my condition here made it impossible for me to carry ingredients. I don’t want to be a bother for her mother though.”

There was no way that Kai would reject an opportunity like this. He gladly accepted Jongdae’s offer.

“B-But will you be checked?”

“My niece’s father is a famous neurosurgeon. If I maybe having malfunctions or whatsoever, I think I can be rushed easily.”

--

After a while of picking up ingredients for the meal, Jongdae drove to his niece’s house. Kai offered to drive but his boss declined. They reached a big house of white and black. It seemed elegant outside and very modern. Kai stepped down of the car and picked up the box of ingredients while Jongdae was greeted by a cheery voice that was owned by his niece.

“Good Morning Taera!” He greeted. “How’s my baby girl?”

Taera pouted. “Should we eat now? Taera’s hungry samchon!”

“Easy easy now, Tae.” Jongdae chuckled. “Where is Chanyeol though?”

“Appa had an emergency surgery but he said he would eat with us.”

“How about eomma?”

“He’s at the kitchen. He’s preparing for us with a nice dessert too!”

“Why did you leave him alone?” Jongdae asked to be cut off when Taera smiled at Kai who was beside him. “Oh! Aren’t you the apple ajjushi?”

Kai grinned comfortably at her, “Yes baby.” Then he turned to Jongdae, “Sir, where do I put these?”

Jongdae held Taera’s small hand and gestured him the way. “Put that in the kitchen.”

Kai look as if he hesitated. It was a big house and it was a bit uncomfortable for him to find the kitchen. Jongdae assisted him along with Taera but the little girl stopped at the middle of the hallway to show Jongdae a sketch she made leaving Kai to walk straight, eyes darting everywhere to look for the kitchen.

Viola!

There were no maids that got him curious. Big houses like that needed to have atleast one.

When he caught sight of a wide area with a decent white paint and lots of kitchen tools, he smiled. He can even smell the fresh aroma of a newly baked cake. He stepped inside and found someone who was wearing an apron beside the sink and cutting a few vegetables.

His heart raced without knowing why. I must be just nervous.

He cleared his throat. “E-Excuse me? Where do I put these vegetables?”

“S-!”

The boy stopped cutting the tomato when he felt himself being sliced instead. A little slit occurred on his forefinger having him yelp and the knife falling down the marble floor.

Kai wasted no time and rushed towards the boy’s direction. He worriedly asked and stared at the small cut, “Are you okay? I-I’m sorry, I-I didn’t m-mean to scare you.” Now he felt guilty. He was in someone’s home and just caused trouble. What would his boss say?

Kyungsoo’s lips went agape and all he could mutter was just one word, “J-Jongin?”

Is that you?

The syllables were perfect on his tongue like he was meant to say that name over and over again.

Kai didn’t seem to hear him. Unconsciously, he grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand gently; avoiding Kyungsoo’s face and let the blood ooze from it. In a split second, he searched for a band aid within his pocket and peeled it for Kyungsoo.

“My friend Baekhyun gave me this yesterday so that I could treat myself whenever I’m being careless.” He gently wrapped the band aid all over Kyungsoo’s finger. He smiled small. Kyungsoo stiffened from Kai’s touch and he was breathing heavily. His mind was clearly debating for something as he was still held in awe.

It was such a burden that he couldn’t confirm who was it beside him. It was such an inconvenience that he couldn’t see. He wanted to see him. Kyungsoo wanted to know if he came back.

If he did, why did we meet again?

Kai let go of his finger and mumbled a sorry once again. Kyungsoo bit his lower lip as he slowly turned to Kai’s direction.

Their eyes met and the younger’s heartbeat increased like it was his heart leaping on a marathon.

Kyungsoo wanted to hear his voice again. Kyungsoo wanted to caress the stranger’s face to feel if it was him.

He wanted it so bad.

He knew that he could not see but the stranger’s aura was seriously familiar.

How come?

Kai recognized Kyungsoo’s face and his expression went soft. He studied his features and found it to be very beautiful. It was even better of what he had painted. It was the most beautiful piece of art he had ever seen.

And then this small lingering pain in his head and chest come rise.

His eyes twitched from the pain but he couldn’t ignore the view.

“Eomma!”

His eyes were suddenly diverted as he was startled from the voice. “Are you okay?”

Kai looked down and stepped away from Kyungsoo.

“Oh Kai! That’s Kyungsoo, Taera’s mother.” Jongdae introduced and went closer to Kyungsoo. He slapped his shoulder gently. “Why are you cooking? Chanyeol would be mad if he knew about this.”

Kyungsoo cleared his throat and tried to make himself okay. “He told me that I can cook if Luhan’s here but I---he was sick so…”

“You shouldn’t be cooking because of your condition.” Jongdae advised. He knew that Kyungsoo might be hurt but its best rather than him hurt or burning the kitchen. Kyungsoo had studied a culinary art, that’s why he knew himself and being comfortable inside the kitchen and even knives.

“Jongdae!”

“Appa!”

Taera left Jongdae’s side to greet Chanyeol was quite drenched with sweat. He came home from the hospital. He hugged Taera and picked her up. “That’s great I’m really hungry!”

“We all are, big tummy!” Jongdae teased.

Kai felt that he was basically unwanted from the situation so he spoke, “Mr. Kim, I should probably go.”

His voice was caught up in Chanyeol’s ears.

He felt himself stiffen and oddly divert to kai’s direction. Surprised of what he saw, his jaw clenched. Jongin? You’re alive?

Kai’s eyes met with Chanyeol’s and he could sense the air being filled with tension.

“Oh, do you know each other? He is my employee.” Jongdae presented Kai. “His name is Kim Kai.”

Chanyeol could feel himself scoff, Kim Kai?

He nodded at Kai and turned to Kyungsoo. “Hi Babe.” He walked towards his wife, setting down Taera and wrapping an arm around the smaller’s waist.

Kai was still staring at them. He suddenly felt something that everyone hated to feel, jealousy from the sight. He never knew why he was starting to feel series of unwanted emotions when he met Kyungsoo. He was scared of what was happening around but there’s something in him pushing himself to discover them all.

“I should leave.” Kai excused once again. Jongdae waved his hand, “Nah, stay and eat. It’s fine right Yeol?”

Chanyeol senses that Kyungsoo was quiet. So he kissed Kyungsoo’s hair, “Is it okay for him to stay babe?”

Kyungsoo didn’t want to feel awkward but Chanyeol’s grip around his waist was getting tighter.

 

“I-It’s f-fine.”

--

I AM SO EXCITED TO WRITE THIS WYD.