Rivals At The Sideline Chap 2

Rivals At The Sideline

Dismissal time. “I take back what I said about being friends.” Xien grumbled as he was being dragged by Rascor towards the karaoke bar.

“Now you don’t really mean that.” Rascor just smiled back at him. “Besides, you need to loosen up. Hey, guys!” They met up with some classmates and batch mates even Kisho and Chrono were there.

Chrono started to show off and looked like as if he was having a mini concert. Kisho was also found out to have a good voice. While Chrono was good at rock and pop, Kisho was good at slow and love songs. Others were good, others were okay, others were very out of tune, which is mostly the cause of their laughter. Whereas Rascor also showed his ability to be splendid at rapping, Xien refused to show whatever singing ability he possessed.

“You really need to loosen up. Here, drink this.” Rascor offered a drink to Xien.

Xien only had to sniff once to know that it was alcohol. “I don’t drink alcohol with the exception of formal occasions. This is hardly a formal occasion.” He lowered the glass back to the table. “I have to add that we’re underage.”

“Kill joy with capital KJ.” Rascor emphasized with a pout. “We’re friends, aren’t we? At least sing for me.” It wasn’t just Rascor but also others kept on begging, pleading or convincing Xien to sing from time to time.

Xien remained stubborn and refused to sing. He just remained there seated on the couch. He would only let out a smirk or a grin if something funny happens and he would applause if the singer deserves it. Then karaoke time is over. They bid their byes and goodnight with each other before going to different directions.

“I’ll be hanging out with Kisho for a while. I don’t know when I’ll return to the apartment. See ya!” With that, Chrono walked off to follow Kisho and the others since most of them live in the dormitory anyway.

Once again, that left Rascor and Xien with each other. Since Xien’s cottage is just walking distance from Rascor’s apartment, they decided to just walk together until their paths get separated. “In the end, you really didn’t loosen up. You probably don’t know how to sing, do you?” Rascor started the conversation.

“You’re tipsy.” Xien stated as he saw how Rascor would sway a bit when they walk.

“You’re avoiding my question.” Rascor swayed dangerously this time. He almost lost his balance so he ended up holding Xien’s arm as they paused from walking. “I thought we’re friends. Why wouldn’t you sing for me?”

“Let’s sit over there for a while until you sober up a bit.” Xien said he held Rascor’s hand and lead him towards a bench. As soon as they sat, Xien felt Rascor’s head leaning on his shoulder. “Rascor, aren’t you being a bit intimate?”

“Friends can be intimate.” Rascor wrapped his arm around Xien’s as he said so. “I’m tired and you’re as close as a pillow I could have right now.”

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

“WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!?!??!” Xien’s voice boomed as his hands slammed on the table and the magazine that he was holding fell on the floor. Nobody answered him. They all feared him.

“Whoa! What’s with the tense atmosphere?” Rascor went inside the student council’s office, uninvited. “Hm? What’s this?” He picked up the magazine form the floor that is currently opened at a certain page. His eyes remained stuck at the picture of him on Xien on the bench, sitting closely with his head on Xien’s shoulder. “Eh?!?!?! This only happened yesterday. How did it get into the school magazine today. That’s just….too fast.”

Rascor’s comment caused murmurs like “So it really did happen.” “I thought it was just edited in the comp., ya know how high tech the world is today.” “Does that mean they’re an item already?”

“Rascor, what are you doing here?” Xien asked. He controlled the anger in his voice. After all, Rascor was not at fault here.

“So this is why everybody seem to be looking at me and murmuring or gossiping.” Rascor ignored Xien‘s question. “Can I keep this copy? Nobody gave me this. They probably don’t want me to know that I’m in it.”

“Whatever. Just get out of here. I’m on the verge of venting out my anger and you just interrupted it unless you want to be shouted as well?” Xien adjusted his eyeglasses to hide his twitching eyebrow.

“Oh, sorry. I’ll wait for you outside.” Rascor quietly went out of the office and Xien went back to his booming voice and being angry. He wanted to suspend the news and magazine club but without any news for a while, then they’ll just have more news as comeback if he does that. So all that Xien could do is stay angry at them and threaten them to make sure never to cross his path again. They all gained a lecture from Xien for one full hour before Xien allowed them to go back to their respective activities.

It took another hour before Xien was able to compose and calm himself. “Oh, .” Or maybe not. He cursed himself for forgetting about Rascor, who was waiting outside. He also wondered if Rascor really did wait for him and felt guilty for even doubting Rascor and letting the guy wait for two full hours. “Sorry.” He apologized as he approached the athlete. “You could have just left ahead.”

“I told you that I’d wait, didn’t I?” Rascor grinned. “Don’t feel guilty.” He said as he saw the frown forming on Xien’s face. “I understand that you need time to vent your anger out. Besides, I didn’t just wait for you. I also used the time to do my assignments and study for the quiz tomorrow. So what do you say about having dinner together?”

Xien didn’t answer the question as he merely stated. “They are spying at us. No matter how angry I am or whatever punishment that I would give them, they would still spy on us and spread rumors or gossips in the school magazine. Maybe we shouldn’t hang out for a while.”

Rascor became angry. “I waited for two damn hours just for you to tell me that you would rather avoid the spies and stupid rumors than to hang out with a friend? If that’s how you treat a friend, then don’t bother offering your friendship. It would have probably been better if we didn’t become friends in the first place.” Then he took deep breaths as he calmed himself down. “Okay, I understand. Sorry for bursting out on you. So I guess I’ll see you around?” He tried to act normal but the disappointment is still in his voice.

Xien couldn’t really resist that disappointed look and tone. “Forget what I said earlier. Let’s have dinner at my cottage. I’ll cook.” Now, he wasn’t so sure of his decision when he saw the grin spreading on Rascor’s features.

“I knew you would see it in my way.”

“You…” Eyebrow twitch.”…tricked me.”

“Yes, I did.” Rascor openly admitted but before Xien could reply an angry retort, Rascor proceeded to continue speaking. “And I’m happy to know that you truly care for me. It’s easy to fall for you.” He placed a quick peck on Xien’s lips.

It happened fast and left Xien on a state of shock. He wasn’t able to progress what happened until Rascor was picking up his things and getting ready to leave. “Was that another intimate friendship act? Rascor, please stop doing things like that.”

“Why? You don’t like it?” Pout. Disappointed voice again.

“It’s not that I don’t like it.” Xien stated truthfully. “It’s just that I still have feelings for you. I still haven’t moved on yet. So until these feelings would fade away, please refrain from doing those stuff.”

“Nope.” Rascor placed his tongue out childishly. “You’ll just have to deal with it. Besides, you’re not difficult to fall for and I’m beginning to like you.” Then he started walking. “Oi, if you don’t start moving, I’ll leave you behind.” And that’s when Xien decided to catch up with him.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

End of Chapter 2