Negligence

Barriers [Oikawa x Reader]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

            Playing Safe isn't actually safety assured, it could also mean losing everything or not losing until you're found out. Is there really a better result? You'll just end up losing anyway, the difference is only with time. Why not do it right from the start?

 

 

 

            Interhigh Finals. Sendai City Gymnasium

 

            ‘I have nothing else to do. I should surprise her.’, Mori arrived early at the gymnasium. He decided to watch the game too. He looked at boards to see the teams playing the finals today

            ‘Aoba Johsai vs Shiratorizawa?’, his fingers pointed at those words written on the piece of paper as an announcement. ‘Oh, our school is still great in volleyball as always.’

            ‘I wonder where ___ is. She must be late as always.’, Mori chuckled to himself placing his finger on his chin.

            He once again gazed at the paper posted on the board and remembered something. ‘Wait. Kageyama is in Aoba Johsai? Isn’t he in Karasuno?’

            The restless feeling loomed towards Mori. He began thinking of things as he dialed Kageyama’s on his phone.

            ‘Now, now, ___ could just mean that she’s watching the game with Kageyama even if he’s not playing.’, he tried to stay calm as the dial tone rang.

            Kageyama answered after a number of rings. “Hello, Mori-san, what made you call?’

            “Are you going to watch the Interhigh finals today?”

            “No. I have school today…. and we… lost yesterday.”

            Mori froze at his response. ‘___ lied to me?’

            “Uhm… also… nee-san was of great help to me yesterday.”, Kageyama continued. “Are you with her now? Could you say thanks to her for me, Mori-san?”

            In his peripheral vision, he saw someone familiar pass by as he held his phone against his ears. It was his girlfriend, ___.

            ‘Phew, I made it just in time.’, you dashed towards the court where the finals will be held.

            You carried the black helmet from yesterday.

            Mori can’t help but feel doubt seeing you like this, knowing that you have been keeping something from him.

            “Mori…-san?”, Kageyama interrupted Mori’s thoughts.

            Mori snapped and responded, “Ahh… ahh, sure. I will tell her.”

            “Thank you.”

            “No worries.”

            Mori hanged up and went to follow you inside the court. You found a seat and Mori picked a spot behind you where he could watch you. He didn’t want to be seen by you yet since he decided to find out first why you lied about watching Tobio in the first place.

            ‘Who are you gonna watch? Our old school’s?’, Mori pondered as he sat and glanced at the enthusiastic girl. ‘Why are you so excited to watch the game and why did you lie?’

            ‘Are you hiding something?’, Mori quivered at his thoughts. He wished that it wasn’t as bad as he was thinking. He didn’t want to doubt you.

           

            ‘Oh, I should text Mori.’, you took out your phone from your bag and typed in a message.

 

            The game’s about to start. I hope they would win! – you

         

          You sent the message. Mori’s phone beeped and read it.

            ‘Who do you wish for to win, ___?’, Mori glanced at you and decided not to reply to you.

 

            The referee blew the whistle and the game was signaled to start. After a few plays, the team you were supporting became obvious to Mori. It wasn’t your old school, Shiratorizawa. You were definitely cheering for the other team. You’d become agitated every time Shiratorizawa scores and thrilled when Aoba Johsai did.

            Another thing stood out as you watch the game, you flinched every time it was that brown-haired setter’s turn to handle the ball. You cheered for him the most, for his serves and tosses.

            “Go, go, Tooru! Push it, push it, Tooru!”, you chimed in with Aoba Johsai’s cheer. ‘As expected, the Grand King is really amazing.’

            ‘So he’s the one.’, Mori was definite that he was the one you’re rooting for. It was too apparent. ‘Are you devoting yourself to someone again just like you did with Kageyama?’

            Mori assumed that maybe it was just like how you were with Kageyama before. There was one thing wrong in his situation, about Kageyama, you were completely honest with everything but now, with this brunette, you hid it to Mori. It’s not the same at all.

            Mori felt his heart beat going faster. He was getting worried the more he put the puzzle pieces together.

            Yes, you cheered for the brunette so much this time. There was longing in your cheers like it meant something else. Are you desperate of something?

            ‘Perhaps do you find him attractive?’, Mori’s eyes examined you from behind, your movements, your expression. ‘Do you like that guy, ___?’

            His chest was starting to hurt. He was planning to surprise you but it doesn’t look like this will have a good ending.

            You stood as you applauded when Aoba Johsai got some point over.

            ‘He doesn’t look at this side though. Hmm… He doesn’t know that I’m here, I guess.’, you frowned and sat. ‘Too bad, he can’t see me finally cheering for him.’

 

            In the end, you were in despair along with Aoba Johsai’s team. Shiratorizawa still ended up winning. Oikawa hadn’t notice you at all today like he always did in the recent matches. Mori still didn’t show himself to you as everyone in the crowd were about to leave. He watched you ran down swiftly from the bleachers going somewhere. You took the helmet with you.

            Mori followed you silently as you went through the crowd. You were headed towards those wearing a white with mint green print uniform, towards the Aoba Johsai players.

            You stopped on your tracks as you didn’t expect things to be like this.

            There was a girl, she was pretty and tall, taller than you to be specific but shorter than the brunette. She clung over Oikawa and it looked like she was comforting him because he lost the game. The brunette just held on the girl’s hand tightly and leaned his head on her shoulder as they strolled towards your direction along with his other teammates.

            You involuntarily dropped the helmet you were carrying. You felt a pinch in your heart. You needed to run away but couldn’t. The brunette will see you break down like this if you don’t move. Maybe this was what he wanted all along, to watch you crumble because that was how he always had been.

            ‘How could you have not known, ___?’, you only know realized what the brunette did to you. You let yourself be swayed by the likes of someone like him. He was cunning. He taunted you and you took the bait. You took all your chances with him and lead yourself to make the wrong choice.

            ‘You’re a fool, ___!’, you stayed at your position still stunned at what was happening. Your aggrieved eyes still fixated on the couple. She was without a doubt his girlfriend as he didn’t shrug her off even if she was all clingy and cuddly towards him.

            But why were you upset so much? You only wanted to be his fan, right?

            Your chest was aching, why?

            You can hear the loud thumping of your heart. It was deafening as it was telling you something.

            ‘I only wanted to be his fan… right?’, you felt your eyes getting watery. The hurt your feeling was telling you otherwise.

            You balled up your fists and tried to hold the tears as the couple approached closer to you in the middle of the crowd.

            You finally understood why you were hurting even though you didn’t want to admit it. It was jealousy because you already fell for the brunette. And worst comes to worst, you lost in his game that he was able to ruin you.

            You can’t do anything now. You can’t turn back but you can still do something. Why can’t you save yourself in this situation? Do you want him to see how he broke you? Do you want him to see your weakness? Why can’t you move?

            Amidst all the crowd and your internal dilemma, when the brunette was only a short distance away, his eyes found you and locked eyes with you. You can see the change in his expression that he was surprised to see you there. But it was only for a second until you banished from his sight. It was as if he hadn’t seen you there at all. It made him blink twice.

            You in the other hand was still out of it. It was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter