Defense

Barriers [Oikawa x Reader]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            When you’re pushed off into a corner, you’ll find yourself needing to make a huge decision to counter it. Whatever it is, you’ll feel desperate to save yourself and get away from it.

 

______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

            “Ohayo, ___-chan! My lovely seatmate!”, it was Oikawa’s greeting to you every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning’s that you had your class with him.

            When you hear of those words, your day immediately turns gloomy. You loved mornings but this time around, you’ll be hating on it for the whole semester for sure. Why did fate put a play on you like this?

 

            “___-chan, so how’s my kohai doing?”

            “I don’t know, I haven’t been in touch with him lately.”

 

            He will keep on asking about his junior to you if not, he’ll talk about his looks, being the narcissist prick he was.

 

            “___-chan, don’t I look great today?”

            “Uh…”

 

            You respond to the male brunette whenever he has decent questions and it was also to be considerate of him just like how you were with others. If you’d act differently in front of the brunette, others will notice it. So it’s better to make it look like everything’s the same.

 

            “___-chan.”

 

            “___-chan.”

 

            “___-chan, why are you ignoring me?”

 

            He bugged you a lot, calling out your name and most of the time, if you paid attention to him, he’ll just tease you of nonsense things. Even if you started ignoring him, he kept on calling you and it echoed to your ears too much. You felt more and more stressed as if all you can hear was him calling you that amidst all the other noise, or rather if it was so silent.

 

            “Stop calling me that!”, you mumbled in the center of a quiet class discussion. Everyone’s eyes turned to you as you interrupted the professor’s lecture. You faced Oikawa, shocked by what you did too. He didn’t even called you out this time.

            “Be quiet, Ms. ___.”, the professor scolded.

            “Oh, sorry.”, you faced down, embarrassed of what just happened. You were thinking of how much you’re annoyed by Oikawa too much that you imagined him calling you.

            He examined your troubled expression and grimaced at your anguish. ‘Yes, burst out. Are you losing your cool now, ___-chan?’

            “What are you grinning at, tykawa?”, Iwaizumi tapped threateningly on Oikawa’s back.

            “Iwa-chan, you shouldn’t be noisy in class.”, Oikawa gestured his friend to be quiet.

 

            “___-chan.”

            ‘He’s not calling you, you’re just imagining this.’, you planted that on your mind this time. You wouldn’t want to be the center of attention in that way again.

            “­­­___-chan."

            You kept on shrugging the voice in your head off but it was getting clearer and louder the more it repeats.

            “___-chan, don’t shout this time.”, you instinctively panned to your side, following the voice. The brunette surely called you this time as you locked eyes with him.

            You furrowed your eyebrows. “What is it?”

            “Does me calling you out linger all the time in your mind?”, the brunette flashed a cunning smile at you. “If you want me to call you out all the time, I will. Just say so, ___-chan. I’ll do it more often.”

            “No, thank you.”, you politely rejected the brunette as you averted your gaze from him. But he was getting on your nerves, truthfully. You wanted to get away from him. Even if he won’t call you out, his mere presence beside you bothers you that much. You needed some kind of escape from this even if was just an hour and a half class every three days in a week, you can feel that it was taking a toll on you. He was creeping up on you, not like in the positive way like before, this time, it was the other way around.

            “Itai!”, Oikawa whined as the spike-haired male slammed his back.

            “You should be the one being told not to be noisy in class, tykawa.”

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

            3 weeks later.

 

 

            Oikawa did not stop. He did what he said he would do: Call out to you all the time, even more than the last time. The stress of being annoyed by him is showing up as the days passed by. Your blooming aura was fading as dark circles in your eyes appeared. You really couldn’t get the impish brat out of your mind. He was in your mind but in a bad way. You were bothered by him too much that you were getting worn out and drained more than you should be. It wasn’t healthy. It’s still so early in the semester to be stressed and the reason shouldn’t be because of a boy.

            “Hey, we don’t have a lot of plates or homework. Why do you look so worn out?”, Yumi took notice of your diminishing glow.

            “Ahh, it’s nothing. I’m just watching too many K-pop videos until late at night.”, you responded. It was true though. You’d distract yourself from hating on the brunette by watching videos until you fall asleep but you end up sleeping not later than 3 in the morning all the time.

            “I see.”, Yumi giggled. “I’m hoping that’s true and you weren’t just stressed of a certain someone.”

            “Huh?”, you watched Yumi’s gleeful expression. She’s definitely figuring you out slowly. You didn’t want to act all defensive because it will prove her theory right.

            “Nothing, ___-chan.”, your blonde friend teased.

            You immediately walked passed Yumi because you didn’t want to hear that ‘chan’ word anymore. You were sure she’d get the gesture as to why you did.

            “Wait for me!”, Yumi laughed and soon ran to catch up with you.

 

            “___!”, a husky voice unexpectedly called out to you.

            “Oh, Kenzo-kun.”, you saw the tall dark-haired male you knew 3 months ago waving at you.

            “Konnichiwa!”, Yumi did the greeting for both of you.

            “Isn’t it still early for you to be here?”, you smiled at the man. “You have 1 hour and a half to wait.”

            “I just wanted to see you first thing in the morning.”, he said delightedly as he scratched the back of his head.

            “Hmm, that won’t be possible.”, you pursed your lips. “You passed by a lot of people already coming through here.”

            “Ah, right.”, he raised his pointing finger. “Hmm, let me rephrase it. I just want to see you as soon as early in the morning.”

            You chuckled at the boy’s flustered actions but it was soon interrupted by a certain brunette.

            “Ohayo! ___-chan! You’re early today!”, Oikawa waltzed in near the three of you, in front of the classroom door.

            “___... -chan?”, Kenzo was confused. Why is someone acting all chummy with you? And it was boy, even. Yumi never even called you that way and for sure, you two were closer than anyone else.

            “…”, you were troubled as well. Do you have to explain this?

            In your mind, you didn’t feel the need to explain anything to anyone though.

            “Ohayo, ___-san.”, Iwaizumi followed with his greeting.

            You replied with your face down, wanting to avoid the brunette to be involved in the conversation, “Ohayo.”

            “___-chan goes to her classes early on occasion you know.”, Yumi defended you from the outgoing brunette.

            “Ahem.”, Kenzo coughed to let him be noticed at the scene.

            “Oh, right, Kenzo-kun.”, Yumi turned towards the dark-haired male and gestured at Oikawa and Iwaizumi. “This is Oikawa-kun, if you have heard of him, he’s an incredible volleyball player. Well, they both are great. This guy too… This is Iwaizumi. They both came from Aoba Johsai.”

            “Ahh…”, Kenzo nodded. “I think I have heard of him and the school.”

            “Nice to meet you.”, the two volleyball players responded in sync and then bowed to leave the conversation, “We’ll be heading now.”

            The two male headed to the classroom first.

            “Great!”, you interrupted finally finding an excuse to get away from the situation too. “Well, uhm… We’ll be going inside now. I need to write down some homework.”

            “___, you need to stop procrastinating. You’re wasting all your talents.”, Kenzo scolded. “Well, it’s amazing that you’re still great even if you’re doing things half-assed.”

            “Ne, ne, Kenzo-kun. I’ll try to stop that bad habit but the teacher’s gonna come soon. I need to make haste.”, you quickly lifted your hand gesturing him goodbye.

            “Hai. Hai. Oh but wait.”, before you could turn, he grabbed your hand and handed you a single white rose, “Your flower.”

            “I told you… You shouldn’t-“, you glanced at him as if you were pleading.

            “Ehh, shush!”, he cu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter