[1] Hello, Angel

Book, Party, Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Ouch!” I cringe in pain when one of the boxes hit my toes. I jump around to ease the pain which I think it’ll help as clutching my hands to my knee –since I can’t really touch my toes while jumping around.

“Chanyeol! What are you doing?!”

At the voice, I immediately stop -still keeping my face scrunch up in pain.

“The boxes hit me!” I accuse –pointing the box on the ground as it is just committed a crime.

My Mother shakes her head at me, knowing exactly what is on her mind; I know she won’t believe me. For all I care, she can be on those boxes sides rather than mine –her own son. I still hiss in pain, the pain is no joke, really; watching my Mother approaches me with her eyes squinting –well, almost glaring.

“Ouch! Ouch! Mom!” I yelp when she starts to hit my back with her small yet iron palm. “It’s the boxes!” I still don’t want to lose over those boxes. “Ah! Aah!” in pain, my head tilt to the side where she twists my ear. “Mom, stop! You will make it wider!” I immediately cry –since she knows about my insecurity of my ears.

“Move these boxes. We don’t have all day!” She scolds.

After few rounds of scolding, we –mostly me since my Mother just ordering around like a queen she is; successfully moves the boxes to my new flat. The boxes pills in the corner of the room. The flat is small, smaller than my own room at home but I like it. When we enter the flat, I can see the bed directly near the window. The study table faces the window, letting the sunlight burn the people who sit there –since it is really hot today. At the right side, there is a cupboard and a bookshelf. There is also a small bathroom which the door’s frame is really short for my height. Nevertheless, with much of the lacks of this new flat, I am sure I am going to like it here.

It is exactly one week before my college start. My parents decide that is the best for me to move out earlier. I am excited with the idea. The idea of living alone always occur my mind since I was still in High School. After 4 days of research for new living place few months ago, I finally chose the first flat we enter. Others were too pricey, too small, too dirty, and too far and even too noisy. But this flat’s perfect for me. The old man who takes care of this building even said this is really exclusive for students only. I’m excited with the thought that I’m going to live with other people in this building who will be around my age.

My Mother is checking out the kitchen in the corner of the hallway. Even she is the one who seems to be the most excited person to kick me out of the house, I know she put too much care on me, like now.

“Yeol-ah, do you think you can keep the food that we brought here in this kitchen set?” She asks –half shouting which make me hung my head down, little embarrass at her loud voice. Well, it isn’t just me who move in today. The other rooms are also busy with new tenant occupying it.

“I don’t think so. What if someone snatch my food away?” I lower my voice once I reach her.

She nods, agreeing with my words. “Then we should keep it in your room. We should get a mini fridge.”

“Are we going to buy it today?” I’m a little excited at the shopping idea. I always like shopping new furniture. “Can we go to IKEA please?” I blink my eyes at her, trying my best to pull the best pleading look which only earn a smack.

“You’re a college student now. Act mature, will you?” She shakes her head, walking ahead to my flat but I see her lips tug upwards.

Ignoring the pain on my head, I skip to catch up with her. I always love her reaction at my attempt to be all baby on her. Although she always say that it is embarrassing, but most of the time I know she is secretly enjoying it.

“Mom, I—“

“Ah!”

The same time the new voices yelp in pain, I also feel that there is something hit my chest hard.

Or someone...

“Sorry!” She bows her head, rubbing on her nose until it turns slightly rosy by how energetically she does it.

My Mother pops up her head to see what’s going on in the hallway. She mouth to me, asking who it is and I just shrug and mouth back, telling that I don’t know.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t see where I was going.” She starts to talk again when I haven’t acknowledged her first apology.

“That’s okay.” I assure.

She finally looks up when I speak. I take the chance to take on her features. She is not taller to pass my shoulder which almost girls in my high school have the same height as hers. Her ebony coloured hair is push back into a tight ponytail, showing her clear –yet sweaty forehead with few strands stuck to different directions on her round face. She is wearing a shirt with sleeves rolls up to her shoulders, showing her olive tan skin and looks so boyish with how she dresses. But what caught my eyes is her eyes colour. It is light shade of brown, almost the colour of almond and never in my life I know someone with those kind of eye colour.

“Whoa, your voice is really deep!” She exclaims randomly.

Her random outburst, making me snaps from my thoughts. I let out a small chuckle. It is not the first time someone commenting about my voice. Even my Father always complains on how his voice is not as deep as I do.

“And your head is really hard.” I fake cringe while rubbing my chest.

Her eyes widen, but when she’s about to bow and apologies, my Mother interrupts us.

“I see that my son already got himself a new friend.”

The girl quickly turns around; making her ponytail slaps my neck in process. I won’t say it isn’t hurt because it really is! My Mother catches it as I clutch onto my neck and secretly laughs to herself.

“Oh! Good afternoon!” She gives a deep bow to my Mother which she responds with a small chuckle and a soft mutter of ‘good afternoon’.

“Are you a new tenant too? It is also my son’s first day here.” My Mother gestures me to come closer. Unlike her behaviour when she is alone with me, she tends to show off about me whenever we are in front of strangers or family acquaintances. I grow used to it so it’s no longer weird for me. Naturally, I move to her side.

The girl looks intimidated by the way her eyes flickers back and forth from me to my Mother.

“Y-yes! It’s my first day here too. I was just done cleaning and I was about to buy other cleaning stuff when I bumped into him.” She speaks so fast, making me have to bit my lips to not laugh at it.

My Mother looks at me with accusing glare. “Have you apologized to her?”

However, before I can defend myself. The girl already beats me to it. “Oh, no! It’s actually my fault. I didn’t see where I was going.” She frantically waves her hands.

I give my Mother the look ‘I told you so’ then she just nods.

“What is your name, by the way?” She asks.

“My name is—,” she paused, and then her face scrunch up in strange ways before she finally let out a loud sneeze. I can’t help myself not to laugh this time as I clutch onto my stomach. My Mother slaps my back, scolding me for being impolite but I know that she is holding her laughter too. The girl sheepishly rubs the back of her neck, as if she doesn’t even anticipate it. Her chubby cheeks turn rosy, probably because of the embarrassment. I notice the deep dimple on her left cheek.

“I’m sorry I’m really allergic to dust.” She apologizes again. “My name is Yoo Ha Rin. I’m 20 years old, majoring in business administration and Incheon is my hometown.”

I chuckle at information she adds on her introduction. It is like she’s in work interview or something. My Mother seems to like this girl the way she laughs at the way she introduces herself.

“Nice to know you, Harin. I’m Kim Soo Ra and this is my son—, “giving me cue to continue.

“Park Chan Yeol. We are in the same major, but I’m 21 and Incheon is not my hometown but Gangnam is.” I finish her, chuckling as I imitate her introduction. Harin looks amazed at how my Mother and I finish each other like puzzle.

“Nice to know you too, Mrs. Park, Chanyeol-ssi.” She bows her head again. I can see her forehead sweating again, probably because of the continuous bow she does. This time, I bow back of the courtesy.

“Where is your room?” It is my turn to ask.

She seems too taken aback by my question by nonethel

Please log in to read the full chapter