Day 9

Soaring Through The Breeze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Day 9 - Friday

 

First school week ended with nothing special transpiring. Chaeyoung went somewhere immediately every after the last bell, Jihyo would head straight to the orphanage and Nayeon was busy with her volleyball practices. Everyone had something to do right after school except for Jeongyeon who just go to work and head straight home. She expected clingy catching-up time at least for the first few weeks of her return but wallows in disappointment. She would still try.

 

"You guys want to hangout after school?" she asks during their usual lunch together.

 

"Practice," Nayeon excused in monotone.

 

"Orphanage," Jihyo followed.

 

"I have to do something," Chaeyoung ends.

 

"Okay." As much as Jeongyeon tries to hide her growing disappointment, she could not stop her sulking reflex.

 

Nayeon notices this and places a hand on top of Jeongyeon's. "Tomorrow, at Chae's place. We have time on weekends. Promise," she says soothingly.

 

"I'll also kick your at Mortal Kombat this time," Chaeyoung adds. "Promise."

 

"Can we not play that thing the whole day?" Jihyo places a palm on her forehead and sighs in advanced frustration.

 

"We're just really busy on weekdays," Nayeon ends, feeling guilty for the lack of attention they are offering Jeongyeon.

 

We had to keep ourselves busy.

 

In her peripheral, Jeongyeon spots a familiar black with red highlights hairdo leaving the cafeteria with a few friends.

 

"Do you guys know someone named Sana?" she asks when the person in question has left her vision.

 

"The Japanese girl with the colorful hair that hangs out with the other foreigners in school?" Jihyo answers when the other two wouldn't. "What about her?"

 

"Nothing," Jeongyeon answers back, not noticing the discomfort of Nayeon at the sudden topic. "Just wondered if any of you are friends with her."

 

 

 

 

What should I do today?

 

The same question has repeatedly infiltrated Jeongyeon's mind throughout the school hours. She had already cleaned her apartment from the aftermath of furnishing, memorized the menu of AnKon, shopped extra pillows in advanced if ever her friends would sleep over (seems to be in vain), reread some of her comics, and cleaned her apartment a second time out of boredom.

 

Her first week passed by agonizingly slow. She could not even blame her friends since she did come back unannounced.

 

She knew beforehand that Nayeon is with the volleyball team and Jihyo is with a volunteer group, but she has no idea what Chaeyoung was doing. It did not even occur to her to ask that midget sister of hers.

 

"Jeongyeon," the history teacher called out.

 

"Yes sir?"

 

"Wake your seatmate up. And tell her that being in a sports team is not an excuse to sleep during classes." He orders and resumes writing facts about how The Great Wall of China was constructed and how difficult it was to cross at the time.

 

The last bell rang just before Jeongyeon could attempt waking her seatmate up.

 

"Remember class, we have a quiz next week!" The teacher left after his announcement just as eager as the students.

 

For a moment, Jeongyeon was tempted not to wake Nayeon up as a prank but was not in the mood and decided against it.

 

"Hey, class is finished," she lightly nudged Nayeon.

 

As they exit the classroom, Jeongyeon noticed a quote scribbled on a notebook of one of her classmates.

 

The most difficult wall to cross is a wall you cannot see.

 

 

 

 

The bicycle rack was close to deserted. Only four bikes were visibly lined up. Jeongyeon unlatches hers and rolls it at her side towards the school exit when she spots the same familiar dark red highlight flowing along with the wind. Her choice of hair color stands out too much for Jeongyeon to ignore. She jogs fervently, catching up in a few seconds by the exit.

 

"Hey Sana!" Jeongyeon taps the girl on the shoulder.

 

The Japanese girl twirls on spot, quite surprised at the sudden greeting. "Oh, hello Jeongyeon."

 

"Are you headed to work?" Jeongyeon couldn't point her finger on it but it seemed like she was quite taken aback. It was as if she doesn't take talking to strangers well, which is in contrary with her part time personality.

 

Sana nods yes and smiles shyly.

 

"Want to hitch a ride?" Jeongyeon pats the back seat of her bicycle as she offers her service.

 

"Oh, no thanks!" Sana raises both of her hands and waves them sideways. "I wouldn't want to be a bother."

 

"You're not." Jeongyeon gets on her seat and readies her hands on the handles. "Get on."

 

Sana hesitates and takes a quick look at her surroundings. She complies after a few seconds and sits behind Jeongyeon with both feet dangling on one side. "I'm not good at balancing things, especially myself."

 

"Put your arms around me" Jeongyeon places a foot on one of the pedals.

 

"What?"

 

"Why are you so shy?" Jeongyeon teases. "Here." She catches Sana's hands from her back and wraps them around her waist as if it's the most natural thing to do (which it is whenever riding a bike). "Hold on!"

 

Sana tightens her grip and presses her head against Jeongyeon's back, eyes closed as she felt the two-wheeled contraption accelerate.

 

"Hey, relax a little." Jeongyeon says when she felt difficulty in breathing from Sana's grip. "Is this your first time riding a bicycle?"

 

"First time riding behind one!" Sana yells, a little terrified.

 

Jeongyeon laughs and exerts more effort.

 

"Are you trying to kill us?!" Sana yells again.

 

"Stick your head out," Jeongyeon orders, ignoring the last comment.

 

"What?" Sana asked, unsure of what she heard against the sharp wind.

 

"Get your face out of my back and stick your head out!"

 

Sana is being cautious. Inch by inch, she moves her head backwards until it is a few feet away from Jeongyeon's. She opens her eyes and takes in the ever changing view. Buildings and houses, old and new, fly past as if they're being by a black hole behind them. The tree lines appear and dart around them in a kaleidoscope. People swish in a blur with the speed of the bicycle as if she's in The Flash's vision.

 

"Feels great right?" Jeongyeon interrupts her passenger's reverie.

 

"Yes," Sana confirms, her grip around Jeongyeon adjusting from being tense to a relaxed and embracing state, "yes it does."

 

 

 

 

"Hey Sana, we're here."

 

Sana hadn't notice that the bicycle has already become stationary, tilting on their left on Jeongyeon's foot. As much as she's scared to admit - due to the thrill of the speed, she truly enjoyed the instant five minute ride.

 

"Oh!" Sana hops off and fiddles with her fingers. "Thank you for the ride!"

 

"Anytime," Jeongyeon bows her head and waves her right, landing on her chest as if she's a chivalric knight. Typical dorky Jeongyeon. "Don't hesitate next time."

 

"I won't." Sana grins from ear to ear and starts skipping backwards towards the store. "See you!"

 

"Bye!" Jeongyeon kicks the ground and starts cycling again.

 

She let Sana linger in her thoughts for a few more moments. She notices a huge change of attitude the farther they got away from school. Back at the school exit, Sana was obviously looking around before riding the bicycle like she didn't want people to see. Here at the store, she's back to the way she first met her, energetic and all smiles.

 

Is she going through something?

 

But then again, she's just assuming things.

 

 

 

 

"Jeongyeon! Two orders of Lava Ttoekbokki Ramen for table 2!"

 

"Coming up!"

 

Today has been the busiest shift this week with the first weekend of school. Students from different grades and schools mostly occupy the restaurant, but none were from hers based on the uniforms.

 

"Sowon! Salmon Ro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter