Day 47

Soaring Through The Breeze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: I write like 5 - 15 minutes a day :( that includes the planning too. I'm gonna ask for forgiveness every chapter xD

Also, someone DMed me asking for clarification regarding my "Day #" chapter names. They got confused what day it actually was (Mon, Tues, etc.). So I included their respective days now :)

 

 

 

Day 47 - Monday

 

 

She thought she was prepared. Just last night, she had a list of points to tackle ready for when she meets either Nayeon or Jihyo. Yet, this morning during class, the moment she saw Nayeon, the suppressed anger seeped all over her and decided to continue her silent treatment, which consists of total ignorance and a stack of books placed as a wall in the middle of their table, barricading her from lashing out.

 

At first Seungyeon made a fool of it, dubbing yet again a love birds spat, but overtime she realized it was something serious and just left them alone, scared that she might add fuel to the fire, one that can burn her too.

 

"Jeongyeon...," her seatmate tries to get her attention again today. None was received. Nayeon crosses her arms on the table and laid her head, forcing herself to sleep like she has done for the past month.

 

Jeongyeon peeks over the hard bound wall, observing the back of Nayeon's head. Bed hair was sticking out, uniform unkempt, and her back slightly shaking. She's crying again.

 

She's conflicted, honestly. She never wanted to make any of her friends cry. The part of her that wants to forgive her best friend (or what used to be) is growing, but still not big enough to do so.

 

Baby steps, she tells herself.

 

 

 

 

Nayeon has been in despair the whole month. She had no appetite, she couldn't sleep, and she couldn't even find the tiniest bit of comfort with her other friends.

 

The only reason she still attends school was because her parents were going to kill her if she doesn't. That and the smallest chance that Jeongyeon will finally acknowledge her presence.

 

She walks in class and forces herself to sit beside the person she couldn't live without, even if there is a wall of books on her desk.

 

Attempting to break the wall, both metaphorically and literally, between them, she calls out, "Jeongyeon...," but still the same. Not even a glance or any sort of acceptance was given. But she still tries everyday.

 

Understanding not to push it, she tries to sleep on her desk, knowing how unforgivable her sin was, it'll take a long time for her to be forgiven, or maybe even never. But deep down, she had above normal hopes today when Chaeyoung told her they had made up.

 

She closes her eyes, forcing her tears not to escape her lids. Yet she knows too well how unsuccessful that was as it comes dripping down on her desk a few seconds later.

 

But as soon as the first wave of tears has fallen, she feels her table shake a little for a few seconds. When the miniscule vibrations stopped, she slowly turns her head to peek at her seatmate. Surprise was an understatement because now, she can actually see her seatmate, appearing to listen attentively to the lecture.

 

The wall of books is gone.

 

Nayeon sits straight as she wipes a few droplets from her cheeks with a finger, and tries to listen to class for the first time in weeks.

 

A small smile appears on her lips, feeling a spark of enlightenment, as it dawns on her that the physical wall had disappeared. But it's just a tiny itty bitty spark. She shouldn't get too ahead of herself, she mentally reminds.

 

Baby steps, she tells herself.

 

 

 

 

"Hey there Myo-ui-Mi-na!" Skipping giddily beside her.

 

"Someone's in a happy mood today." Raising an eye brow at the different vibe the other girl is showing.

 

"How can I not be? Hyung's talking to me again." Chaeyoung smiles, letting out her crooked teeth.

 

The past month that Jeongyeon was ignoring them, as Sana and Momo to Jeongyeon, Mina was the one who usually accompanied Chaeyoung if Tzuyu could not. Over their time together, they grew somewhat closer and more open. Mina had since abandoned her cold attitude from their first meeting, and has even been initiating their conversations and extra activities.

 

Chaeyoung had also adjusted to the Japanese's presence, albeit only a little. She's still a bit awkward around her, keeping to her belief towards Mina's blank book character.

 

"So, what are we making today?" Mina points to an empty side of the wall with her thumb in a hitch hiker fashion, and a can of scarlet red paint on one hand.

 

They're at Chaeyoung's wall diary again (well, now it's partly Mina's too) making their first mural of the week. It has been getting filled pretty fast now that there were two of them, and may have to find a new alleyway to mark as their own soon.

 

Chaeyoung got hers done in a few minutes, smiling at her work. Honestly, it looked more like a tattoo than a mural with the word HYUNG written in Old English script.

 

She walks over to Mina's side as the Japanese was shaking her can.

 

Maybe it was her emotions that were acting up, maybe it was the toxic particles in the air (they really need masks). Either way, one thing she learned recently was that the truth can hurt or be enlightening. Can also be a mix of both. She wants to be at the receiving end this time. So she takes a deep breath ( up more of the paint particles) and asks without further delay. "Mina?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"Why are you here?" Chaeyoung questions, earning a confused (and hurt) expression. "Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your company. It's just that you never really told me what makes you do so."

 

Mina bites the bottom of her lip with thought. "If I have to be honest, you intrigue me." She takes a swing at the wall, making an effort on detailing her illustration. "You're different," Mina glances at her.

 

"Is that a good different or a bad different?" Chaeyoung asks as her eyebrows quirk upwards, unsure of what to feel.

 

"I'm not so sure myself," she smiles a teasing one.

 

"Care to elaborate?" Chaeyoung crosses her arms. "How am I different?"

 

"You," Mina sways an hand, encircling an area in front of Chaeyoung, "act different depending on who you are with. Wait, no. Not act." Her forehead scrunches, showing wrinkled lines in between. "You just are. It's like you have multiple split personalities but it is still all you."

 

"Sorry," Chaeyoung scratches the side of her temple, "but I still don't get it."

 

"You're a brat whenever you're with Jeong."

 

"Hey!"

 

"Quiet with Tzuyu, soft with Momo, caring with Jihyo, mature with Sana, careful with Nayeon, and gentle with me."

 

"How'd you get all that?" Chaeyoung grimaced. "We don't even spend as much time together."

 

"I'm very observant."

 

She doesn't know what to feel about that.

 

Slowly, Chaeyoung had started to understand what the other girl was saying, but not fully there yet. "Don't other people also adjust their ways with a certain person?"

 

Mina nods. "But you're not faking any of it. That's the difference."

 

Even though Mina said she wasn't sure if it was a good or a bad thing, Chaeyoung definitely took it in a positive light. "Thanks."

 

"I wasn't complimenting you though."

 

"Whatever you say Myoui." She smirks out of Mina's view.

 

Having Mina around really was a nice change of atmosphere, even when it’s awkward most of the time.

 

The past couple of days were the happiest Chaeyoung has been in a while. And will even be more so once everyone in the group comes back together. She couldn't wait for more smartass conversations, more ridiculous food banters with Momo and Jeongyeon, and getting to know the foreigners more. Surely they're still hiding more fun stuff about them.

 

"Add black spots with even spacing," she says, pointing in the middle of the picture in progress which she assumes is a strawberry.

 

"I was about to." Mina takes a black canister, aiming at the wall.

 

"Here too, and there, and here." Chaeyoung directs.

 

"I know, I know."

 

To Chaeyoung, it was a moment of confidence from all her returned happiness, to the point of becoming tactless of her nagging for that brief moment.

 

"And here."

 

Which led to Mina's sudden outburst.

 

"I know!" She raises her voice, masking Chaeyoung's hand with the black paint.

 

"Hey!"

 

"Oops," Mina smirks. "Your hand was in the way."

 

"Oh?" Chaeyoung smirks back. "That's how you want to play it?"

 

Suddenly frowning, Mina takes a step back while pointing a finger at her smaller companion. "You wouldn't dare."

 

And she had just told her she was gentle around her.

 

In a swift motion, Chaeyoung grabbed the nearest canister and sprayed sideways across Mina's legs, causing them to have a striped aqua blue layer on her shins. "Ah!" Mina squeals, jumping away a whole second too late.

 

"You started it."

 

With that comment, only one thing echoed within Mina's mentality; retaliation. She squatted down briefly to pick up a second can and stood up with both arms pointed towards Chaeyoung as if she were wielding dual pistols in a pirate showdown. "Your move."

 

"Wait!" The logical part of Chaeyoung told her this wasn't  a good idea. That this was neither a food fight nor a pillow fight, that these were real acrylic spray paint and that these can be toxic when inhaled in great quantities. But still, the playful side of her was already lit, burning with competitiveness especially with her humiliating defeat against Mina during the weekend. So she smiles, one of her corners slightly higher than the other. "Not on the face."

 

And the chaos proceeded, in the matter of colored air particles and rainbows over their skin.

 

They didn't care whether their uniforms were ruined, they didn't care that some of their murals were painted over, they didn't care that they're all sweaty and filthy from the fight.

 

All they cared about was how much each one added color to the other's life.

 

 

 

 

The happy yells and blissful chirps of the children playing tag across the greenery are helping Jeongyeon calm herself. It reminds her of her childhood. Playing all day with friends without much care of the world. Sometimes, she wishes she had stayed as a kid, never growing up just like The Lost Boys from Neverland. It would be fun wearing animal pyjamas all day long.

 

She walks across the grass, greeting some of the children along the way that recognized her. Arriving at the front door, she knocks twice before turning the knob and pushes the door inwards.

 

She is greeted by the same middle aged woman she saw last month behind the desk, still having a warm smile on her face.

 

"Is Jihyo here?" Jeongyeon asked nervously.

 

"Jeongyeon, right?" The young girl nods. "She's down the hall, third door on your right."

 

"Thank you," Jeongyeon replied.

 

Forgiving the victim is easy. The culprit? That will take more time.

 

The witness? The one who knew all this time and did nothing? In another perspective, that is worse than being the offender. But this is Jihyo. Jeongyeon has known her growing up and if you think of one thing that Jihyo is best at, is that she knows what she's doing. She has to find out why she exactly did that, which is doing nothing at all.

 

Hi Jihyo.

 

Hi? Or hey?

 

No, no. Be more casual.

 

'Sup Jihyo?

 

'Sup? Seriously?

 

Yo Jihyo!

 

Damn, can I do any worse?

 

Stopping just in front of the green door with crayon doodles scribbled on the lower half, she raises her knuckles to knock but stops midway. She's contemplating, again, just like this morning. Facing confrontations is really never easy. Maybe she needed to be ambushed again like with what happened with Chaeyoung.

 

"Jeongyeon?" The door opens without Jeongyeon noticing, replaced with a very confused and shocked Jihyo.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter