Day 59

Soaring Through The Breeze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Day 59 - Saturday

 

 

 

It's been a while since she received a text from Jihyo. From anyone, actually.

 

From Jihyo

 

You awake? Come to the orphanage in half an hour. We're doing a show for the kids. Let's have lunch with everyone after.

 

Nayeon sits on her bed, stretching and letting out a yawn before she replied.

 

To Jihyo

 

I thought I was banned?

 

She was planning on washing up, not wanting to wait for a reply. But it only took Jihyo four seconds to type her piece and sending it instantly. (Since when has she been so proficient with her phone?)

 

From Jihyo

 

You known as well as I do that was your fault!

 

She could practically hear Jihyo's raised voice from wherever she is. Nayeon's never going to forget the terrified and offended look Jihyo gave her when she walked in on the kids, all wearing her crimson lipstick.

 

Jihyo managed to send another message before she could reply.

 

From Jihyo

 

I hoped you learned your lesson and never do that again.

 

To Jihyo

 

The kids? Or Chaeyoung?

 

She regrets sending that text. It was uncalled for.

 

To Jihyo

 

Sorry... I'll be there.

 

 

 

 

Saturdays are what Jeongyeon looks forward to the most. It's her day off, the day when she relaxes from the burden of school and its affairs and most importantly, the night when they have their usual get-togethers with her friends. It's Momo's turn to host and she can't wait to ransack her place to even out the food damage on their friendly date a few weeks back.

 

But this morning, she found herself in a peculiar situation.

 

"Stop right there evil doer!" Jeongyeon stood erect, arm pointing straight at the small hooded figure across the lawn, donned in her deep blue cape that Chaeyoung gave her and a custom eye mask Jihyo prepared for the occasion. "Your time is up for it is I, Yoopergirl, has come to stop your menacing plan!"

 

The audience cheer at her entrance, jumping in excitement while others swing their fists in the air. They roar her name, "Yoopergirl! Yoopergirl!"

 

Jeongyeon glances to the kids, fighting to suppress a smirk to not break character. She sees Jihyo arm crossed in a smug next to Tzuyu and Momo who are in a burst of giggles. She could already tell what's going on in their heads. (Most probably an ocean of dorks and losers). Sana's standing in the middle of the kids cheering along them with raised arms and a full smile, easily mistaken as a kid herself. Behind them, she spots Nayeon holding a smile - a sad one. She's surprised to even see her here. Well, it's not like she was being avoided by everyone. Sharing the same group of friends with someone you're at odds with is awkward. (Awkward is too much of an understatement. Even calling it an understatement is an understatement). Mina's with her - probably so that she wouldn't feel all left alone.

 

Jeongyeon returns her gaze towards the hooded figure just in time as she flips her black cape and turned around to face her intruder, covering everything below her eyes as she squints, pointing back at Yoopergirl. "You dare challenge me?" Raising her sleeveless arm, she flexed her bicep to show off its toned cut. "Me? The ferocious beast, the overly underestimated, the small but terrible, Young Son!"

 

(Jeongyeon really thinks it's more of a rapper name than a villain one.)

 

They could both hear Momo crying of laughter at their attempted impersonations, taking ROFLMAO literally as she rolls on the grass as if she's burning from something she shouldn't have seen.

 

It's always literal when it comes to Momo.

 

Without missing a beat, they battle each other, punching, kicking, and dodging in slow motion. Even making their own sound effects with puckered lips of vroom, swoosh, and the like. At one point, Chaeyoung managed to climb on Jeongyeon's back, wrapping her legs along the other's waist as she forcefully scrunches up the hero's face for the kids to watch which accumulated a mixture of boos and giggles.

 

"Get her good Young Son!" Momo bellows from the back. “Put your fingers in her nostrils! Yeah! That’s the way!"

 

After a good couple of minutes of amateur theatrics and messy choreography, Young Son gives out a dramatic cry, "Nooooo!" from receiving Yoopergirl's finishing blow - which was a tackle from an excessively weird stance calling it the Yoostrich Charge. Momo's laughter got louder and Jeongyeon swears Momo's actually dying. (It doesn't even sound like a laugh anymore. Screeching from pain is closer to call).

 

Young Son lie still on the grass for a while before getting up again and held Jeongyeon's hand as they bow together, ending their impromptu stage with hopping ovation.

 

"Thanks for doing this," Jihyo says, patting the two on their shoulders. "The kids really had a fun time."

 

Jeongyeon points at Momo with unease. "I think that one had too much fun." Momo's on her knees leaning on Tzuyu's thighs, panting and exhausted, as Tzuyu rubs Momo's back for comfort. Her cheeks are wet and red too. (She really was crying).

 

"I just don't get why I had to be the bad guy." Chaeyoung protests, snapping Jeongyeon from being astonished at Momo's predicament. "I clearly have the hero vibe compared to this ape."

 

"It's simple really," Jeongyeon answers. "I have a blue cape, you have a black one," pointing to their backs. "Plus, my name's easier to tinker into a hero's. I'm super."

 

Chaeyoung had a finger up to protest again but was caught into an invasive hug along with Jeongyeon by - none from their friends are this touchy - Sana. "You two were amazing!" She practically breathes down their faces. "I was really enjoying the show. You should plan for a part two!"

 

"Unless I'm the hero next time," Chaeyoung squirms free to leave Jeongyeon trapped alone - who wasn't resisting at all, "no thanks."

 

Momo appears, seemingly recovered from her gag attack. "Please don't. I don't think I could handle any more of that."

 

"Too bad," Tzuyu speaks nonchalantly, but with her usual apathetic attitude, it felt like they were being blackmailed already. "I caught it all with my phone."

 

"Send me a copy!" Sana jumps across, clinging from Jeongyeon to Tzuyu just like how flying squirrels spread their limbs travelling between trees.

 

It's a warm sight how close the group has gotten in a matter of weeks. It seemed the awkward phase just passed through them like a speeding car. You notice it but forget it not long after.

 

"Come on," Jihyo says, "let's go have lunch." Momo suddenly stands straight, recovering from whatever she caught from the show. "There's this new Thai restaurant near my place that I've been wanting to try."

 

"Great! Let's go!" Momo slings her arms around Mina and Chaeyoung, leading them towards the main street. Tzuyu does the same to Sana and Jihyo, leaving Jeongyeon and Nayeon behind.

 

(They couldn't be more subtle could they?)

 

Jeongyeon knows Momo and Tzuyu are the ones mending the group the most. Tzuyu got Chaeyoung to talk, and Momo got Jeongyeon to listen. She couldn't blame them, though. They're oblivious to the severity of the situation they're dealing with.

 

Sana spares Jeongyeon a glance, mouthing a good luck to her with a matching thumbs up.

 

Now, she's walking behind the group with Nayeon just within arm's reach. If anyone takes a second to look back, they would see just how uncomfortable she is with her grimacing face. She can't help but feel like getting stung by a thorn on her side. Metaphorically? She's not quite sure.

 

"You were pretty good out there." Nayeon whispers.

 

Jeongyeon considers replying, but decided it's easier not to. It's always easier to ignore your problems. (Maybe that's why Jihyo didn't do anything.)

 

"Where'd you learn to act?"

 

Years worth of role playing with Chaeng, she wanted to say. You should've known that. You grew up with us.

 

"There's a volleyball game next week. You and the others should come."

 

(Shut up! Shut up, shut up, shut up!)

 

"Jeong," Nayeon reaches out for the edge of Jeongyeon's cape, pulling her in place.

 

"What?" Jeongyeon let out sternly, her eyes narrowed and piercing, recoiling Nayeon and her hold. She's pissed and she can't properly explain why. Just the mere presence of Nayeon gets her all boiled up.

 

Nayeon grips the fabric tighter, visibly trembling at the hostility Jeongyeon is emitting but maintains her ground. Because if she let’s go, she might never get to hold her again.

 

Jeongyeon stares at Nayeon's hand that was gripping the fabric for a brief moment before harshly pulling it out, severing the closest physical connection they'd had the past month. Nayeon sinks deeper and Jeongyeon chooses not to see it. "What is it, Nayeon?"

 

"Will you ever talk to me again?" Nayeon's voice is weak and shaking. Jeongyeon can tell that she's fighting the urge to cry in front of her. "Please, Jeong, tell me." Her palms balled into fists, knuckles turning white, suppressing her unstable nerves. "Tell me," Nayeon chokes, "so that I know if I should even hope for a hello from you or anything at all. I want to talk to my best friend again, Jeongyeon."

 

Jeongyeon just stares at her, only now realizing what Nayeon's eyes look like. Her beautiful brown spheres that were once filled with energy and confidence and happiness are now fogged with depression and anxiety. It all started with Nayeon but Jeongyeon's the one refusing to end it.

 

"Can't you at least give me that?" Nayeon's gates shatters and tears fall, ruining what little makeup she managed to apply that morning.

 

It's ironic how she's impersonating a superhero with her getup while someone is crying for help right in front of her. Her cape, a symbol of hope and security, tarnished into doubt and distress. Her mask, supposedly used to hide their identities and protect their loved ones turned into mask she could simply hide behind.

 

Nayeon needed the one behind the costume.

 

Heroes help everyone. Friends, enemies, strangers.

 

But Nayeon's just that now. A stranger.

 

Jeongyeon's no hero. Heroes don't walk away.

 

 

 

 

Maybe coming back here was a bad idea after all.

 

It wasn't the best, but she had a good life back in Busan. Her family is there, she has nice friends, jobs were easily acquirable. There was no drama there either.

 

"No. No. No." Jeongyeon says out loud.

 

I can't be thinking like this.

 

She despises herself momentarily for suddenly thinking of regret. This is her choice with her family supporting her in every way they can and she has to live with her decisions.

 

The cold metal brings comfort to her back as she lies down on the top of the slide, crumpling her cape by way of disregard. With minimal effort, she pushes herself down the slope, enjoying the feeling of letting go. It was only for a brief moment as her feet touch the ground with lust for another round of climbing back up and falling once again. Her hands find their way back on the ladder, her feet started climbing the steps, and she finds herself standing at the top again finding herself in a loop.

 

She wishes her life was just like this. Straight and true, knowing where she starts and where her path will lead with small railings on either side to prevent her from going off course. She’s wished a lot of thinks but life really is a .

 

There's a small platform next to the slide. A rope ladder that leads to its entrance with plastic walls and tiny windows and a slide in a corner that's half the length of the one she's standing on.

 

She sees pre-teen Chaeyoung getting tangled up on the rope when she attempted to climb it, whining how wobbly they were. Jihyo stands next to her within seconds, trying to save a human knot from getting permanently fused. Nayeon's at the top staring down at the two, laughing hysterically at the scene, satisfie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter