The Hand Holding Dilemma

The Birthday Collection

 

"Hi" Minah said, waving at him. "Hey! Ready to go?" Donghae asked her. Minah nodded.

"You look pretty today" he told her. She was wearing a blue floral sundress with a thin black jacket over it. It must be new he realized as he had never seen her wear it before.

"Thank you" she replied with a smile. The two of them fell into silence as they walked to the movie theater. 

This was routine. They had seen millions of movies as friends before. But today was the first time they were on an official date and Donghae didn't know what to do with himself. They would normally talk about college or what their friends did or how his match went but suddenly all of it seemed very dull to him.

Would Minah be interested in listening to funny stuff Hyukjae did? Probably not, considering he often talked to her and would probably have narrated the entire incident to her. Would she like to hear about their soccer practice? Her brother was on the team. And nothing extra ordinary had happened. What to say? What would Minah like? Coffee? But she had visited the new cafe on campus already.

"Which screen is it?" Minah asked and Donghae realized that they had already reached the theater.

"Screen 2. D12 and 11" he told her from memory. He fished out the tickets from his coat pocket and gave them to the usher.

"Miya told me that it was a funny movie. Honestly I am watching it just because Jaejoong is in it" Minah confessed. Donghae laughed because it was no secret that Minah loved DBSK. Donghae loved the group too but Minah definitely looked cute when she fangirled.

"This way!" he said guiding her to the entrance. He put his arm around her to protect her from people shoving in the crowd. He pulled his hand away and the two of them awkwardly avoided looking at each other.

The awkwardness held through the movie. Donghae laughed when Minah laughed but honestly he had no idea what was happening in the movie. He smiled when she turned to look at him, parodying the cheesy romantic lines. Was she enjoying the movie? Was she enjoying his company?

There was a time when their fingers touched and he felt like he should have held her hand. But the moment passed and he regretted not acting fast enough. 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

He really was an idiot. This was Minah! She had agreed to the date because she liked him and he had ruined it. Was it possible to be this dumb on a date? Apparently he was now living proof.

His mental anguish was interrupted when Minah lay her head on his shoulder. There was a mushy scene on play and the tell tale signs of an inevitable kiss between the leads. She sighed, wiping away tears from the laughter earlier. She looked at him and smiled and Donghae smiled back vowing to always keep her smiling the way she was now.

He was an idiot and he really had no idea what to do at this point.

But her smile made his heart and world stop and he would do his best to get more of them for her.