Till Tomorrow

The Birthday Collection

 

Minah waited, regulating her breathing to minimize sound and stay focused on the sounds. It was a cool summer night and she had excused herself from the King's study to retire early. But as soon as she had stepped into her living quarters, she had guessed something was amiss.

She had signaled her guards to go around the entire wing, checking for intruders. Assassination attempts were not uncommon amongst the royalty but Minah had no intention of dying just yet.

She looked around the room, deciding that no one was in immediate proximity. Hand on dagger, she pushed the door to her bedroom to open slightly. She moved out of view as the wooden door creaked open and something fell down. Minah pulled out a handkerchief, using it to pick up whatever had fallen.

It was a blue rose and Minah knew it could mean only one thing.

She carefully pushed the door open to find Zhang Yixing sitting in her favorite chair by the window. The drapes had been pulled and the fire lit, probably giving rise to the unease Minah had experienced earlier. It had been too warm for this time of the night.

"We keep meeting like this" she said, putting the rose on the coffee table. 

"I have a flair for dramatics" he replied with a grin.

"Unnecessary as they are, what prompted you to break into my living quarters?" she asked him.

"I killed an assassin hiding in your room. The guards will discover a body soon and come looking for you. I don't believe we have a lot of time together" Yixing told her. Minah’s fist tightened.

"You don't have to protect me anymore. You're not my bodyguard any longer. The King banished you and yet you risk your life like this" she argued.

"Does my reason need saying?" he asked, looking right at her. Minah was familiar with the expression and the feelings the dark eyes bore. She had been well acquainted with them behind closed doors. But the depths of his desire had been poorly concealed leading to his banishment in order for the King to protect his daughter's reputation.

"You horrid irresponsible man. Is this a game to you? What happens if you are caught?" Minah asked him in quiet anger.

"Then I die and you are married off to the next eligible suitor. I believe that the consequences are obvious Princess" he said smoothly.

"As your Princess, I forbid you to die" Minah said childishly. 

"We've had that argument before" he chuckled. He stood up and walked over to her. He closed the door behind her and took her in his arms.

"I will continue protecting you. If I have to die in the process then so be it" he told her. He was fiercely loyal but this was foolishness. 

"But what if -" she started, only to be silenced with a kiss. The kiss deepened and Minah felt the heady rush of adrenaline. It was the thrill of a forbidden love that had initially drawn her into the scandalous affair.

"Sooyeon found me. She has a proposal worth considering" Yixing told her. 

"What?" Minah faltered. Rage and suspicion quickly took over because her elder sister hardly ever did anything that did not benefit her.

"She guaranteed a safe passage out of the kingdom should both of us wish to run away" he told her.

"What's the catch?" Minah asked immediately. 

"None. But I am sure that death awaits us at the end of the trail. It would be the quickest way to finish you off. And once she takes care of your brother Minseok, she will have the crown" Yixing mused.

"But you intend on using her to get me out of the country" Minah understood. 

"I've led her to believe that we will head west but I have land in the Southern kingdoms. We can live our lives out in peace and no one will be wiser" he planned.

"This is a terrible way of proposing to a person" Minah said after a moment of silence. "And I don't trust Sooyeon."

"Think about it, I'll return tomorrow" he promised her. Minah wanted to protest but the alarm had been rung and she knew the guards would come looking for her soon.

"Till tomorrow my love" Yixing said, slipping away into the darkness. Minah couldn't help but feel ominous about the entire situation. She would have to wait till tomorrow to see him. Meanwhile she needed to think things through.

But tomorrow never comes.