The Picture Book

The Birthday Collection

"Miss, miss. Who is that?" Minah asked, tugging at the caretaker's dress.

"Minah, you have to let me keep these books away first" the caretaker told her.

"But Miss!" Minah insisted. She clung onto her dress making the books in her hand almost topple.

"Minah! Fine!" the caretaker gave up, knowing there was no way of getting her to wait patiently. "That's Min Yoongi. New child. Go talk to him and find out more" she insisted, pushing Minah in the direction of the toys. The new kid who had caught Minah's eyes was sitting right in front, playing with a toy dinosaur. The child looked up and straight at Minah who looked away to avoid being caught.

"No..." she trailed off and clung more to her caretaker.

"Are you feeling shy? Since when have you had trouble talking to new people?" her caretaker asked. "Off with you now. I have work to do" she said, leaving Minah with nothing to hide behind.

Minah looked at the child. Yoongi. That was his name. He had been looking at her but now he was busy playing with his toys. Should she go talk to him? It would be nice to make a new friend. But he seemed way too cool for her. She had seen him in the morning. He had scoffed at the crayons which everyone had used to color and gone to read a book instead. And he had chosen ones with more words not pictures!

"I can see you stare" he said without looking.

"I'm not staring!" Minah said indignantly before going to find her favorite picture book. She couldn't read just yet but she liked looking at the pictures in Little Red Riding Hood.

"Are you looking for this?" Yoongi asked, tapping her shoulder. He held out a copy of Little Red Riding Hood and Minah blinked in reply. 

"Do you want to read together?" he asked her. 

"Okay" Minah agreed. She had been right all along! Yoongi was smart if he could read a book already. The two of them found a small quiet corner of the nursery and settled down. Minah waited patiently as Yoongi lay the book in front of them and opened to the first page.

"Okay so there was a girl called Red Riding Hood" Yoongi started. He pointed out to the pictures as he told her the story. "She wanted to go see her grandmother but her house was in the woods. a passing woodcutter told her to be careful while going through the woods because a big bad wolf lived in it"

"Why would the grandmother live in the woods if there was a big wolf there?" Minah asked, confused. Yoongi shrugged. 

"I asked my older brother but he told me that we wouldn't have a story if she didn't live on the woods so there is nothing else to do" he told her. Minah frowned at the reasoning but didn't say anything.

"But the wolf had already seen her and wanted to eat her. So he went to her grandmother's house and ate her up instead. Then he dressed up as her grandmother and almost tricked Red Riding Hood into being eaten" Yoongi told her.

"But he already ate her grandmother. How big was the wolf that he wanted to eat both of them?" Yoongi stopped to ask. 

"He was a very big wolf" Minah told him. He frowned but agreed.

"But she was saved in time by the woodcutter who came and killed the wolf. Then he helped the grandmother get out of his tummy" he read ahead.

"Ewww. Imagine being inside a wolf's tummy" Minah said making a face. Yoongi laughed at her expression.

"I'm glad that the woodcutter saved her though. Do you want to read Snow White next?" Yoongi asked. Minah nodded enthusiastically.

 

 

 

"You were such a nerd Yoongi" Minah said, looking at the old photograph from play school.

"Says the woman who made me read storybooks to her at the age of three" Yoongi scoffed.

"Yes well, you read them! So you were a nerd!" Minah protested.

"Well you are one too!" he argued back.

"And at least our future kids will be smart" he reasoned. Minah snorted before going through the photo album.

"I hope they get my intelligence and not yours" she said childishly. Yoongi grinned before wrapping his arms around her.

"Whatever. Stop looking at these old embarrassing photos. Let's go to sleep" he said, kissing her on the neck. Minah scowled but complied. It had been a long but sweet day.