The Meeting

Falling in Love With the Anti-Fan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Here’s the first chapter. This is just the same chapter that was seen in the one-shot version “The Anti-Fan.”

“Tonight’s the night!” Changmin said confidently as he fixed his bow tie, looking at the mirror that was showing his ever so handsome reflection. “I’m gonna win! I just know it!”

Behind him, his manager and his personal assistant glanced at each other. Then, in sync, they rolled their eyes at the K-pop idol’s show of arrogance confidence. Again.

“Don’t count your chicks before they hatch,” the manager recited the old saying to Changmin. The man checked his watch. They had about half an hour to go before they had to leave the dressing room for the awards show.

Changmin just ignored his manager.

The assistant laughed, though. “That saying is loss on Changmin, hyung. Number one: his overconfidence has no limits. Number two: the only concept of ‘chicks’ that he has are the girls that he flirts with.”

“YAH!” Changmin shouted indignantly, glaring at the reflection of Jung Yunho, his assistant, on the mirror. “Take that back, hyung!”

The manager and Yunho just laughed at him, though.

Changmin looked around and glared at them both.

Here he was, one of the best K-pop artists in the business. Nominated right now for one of the most prestigious music award, in fact. And yet his manager and his assistant saw it fit to take the mickey out of him.

So not cool.

“You two just wait!” Changmin snarled at them. “I’ll bash my trophy on both of your skulls!”

Yeah, apart from overconfident, Shim Changmin was also evil.

Yunho was tempted to taunt Changmin about not being able to bash a trophy on his head after all, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it.

“I want to lecture him about over confidence, but I don’t think I have it in me,” the manager muttered to Yunho, unknowingly echoing the assistant’s thoughts.

The awards show was over, and they were back in the dressing room now.

And Changmin was just sitting on a chair, staring blankly at the air in front of him.

“Min,” Yunho said softly, approaching Changmin and placing a gentle hand on the younger man’s shoulder. “Changminnie. It’s okay. Really, it’s okay.”

Changmin slowly looked up at him, his expression in a daze. “I… lost,” he said, his tone so disbelieving. “Hyung, I lost… That can’t be right, can it? There must have been some mistake!”

“You lost, Changmin-ah,” the manager simply confirmed from his place on the couch at the other side of the dressing room. “You have to accept that!”

But Changmin shook his head vehemently. “No! That’s impossible! Did you see the numbers of views and sold copies that my album had! Did you see those super high numbers that my Cassies have reached for me? There’s no way that those numbers could have lost!” he insisted.

“And did you not see the higher numbers that the Jaeharems have reached for Kim Jaejoong?!” the manager retorted.

Changmin scowled automatically at the mention of that artist’s name and his fandom.

“It was just bad luck that Kim Jaejoong-ssi was one of the artists that you were pitted against,” Yunho told Changmin comfortingly. “It’s just bad luck, that’s all… You know that the Jaeharems are practically unbeatable at these things.”

Changmin just huffed in annoyance.

Kim Jaejoong was an artist who debuted almost ten years ago by now. He was one of the best in the business, and he was considered as a mentor and a sunbae by many of the other famous idols as well.

To be honest, Changmin had barely had any contact with the man.

So, why was he all huffy about Kim Jaejoong?

Well, Jaejoong’s agency C-Jes and Changmin’s agency SM all but made sure that Jaejoong and Changmin competed against each other. Their musical genres were similar, and when Changmin debuted about five years ago, SM saw his great talent as a chance to finally beat C-Jes’s Kim Jaejoong. Of course, since Jaejoong was a senior to Changmin by quite a few years, it was hard for Changmin to beat him.

Still, he persevered.

And those Jaeharems of Jaejoong didn’t make matters easier for Changmin.

When word got out that SM was intending to use Changmin to beat Jaejoong, well, let’s just say that Jaeharems would have none of it. As an artist, it was normal to have anti-fans. And the Jaeharems were all anti-Changmin.

Of course, as one of the oldest and most respected fandoms, it can be said at least that Jaeharems never actually harassed Changmin or bashed him outright or any of those nonsense. With the way things are going, Changmin might have actually preferred those things at some point, though. Right after making sure that Jaejoong has all the support that he needs, the Jaeharems’ next priority was blocking Changmin.

Especially when it came to award shows were percentages came from the fans’ votes and views.

Changmin’s Cassiopeia was a great fandom, but they were still much newer than the Jaeharems. Jaejoong’s fandom had resources and numbers on their side.

“Did you hear them cheering when their precious Jae oppa won,” Changmin sneered now, a look of disgust on his face.

Yunho looked at him oddly. “Well, of course, they cheered. What else do you expect them to do when Jaejoong-ssi won?”

“Whose side are you on, hyung?!” Changmin snarled at once.

Yunho immediately raised his hands in surrender. Geez. Changmin never did take defeat well.

“I’m going out for a while,” Changmin declared. The tone of his voice made it clear that whether Yunho and the manager agreed to it or not, he was going, anyway.

“Our ride will be here in twenty minutes,” the manager informed him. “Be sure to meet us back here before that… And don’t go murdering any Jaeharem, okay?” the man felt the need to caution Changmin. Just in case.

Just in case Changmin met a Jaeharem while he was out and roa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter