Perspectives

The Royals

Yongguk was on his second working week and he had surprisingly become more and more eager for the piano class than any other classes unlike previously. He still enjoyed listening to other lessons but there was always the tunes playing at the back of his head that Jongup had played or composed at the spot; his talent was undeniable and exceeded the normal pianist of their days. It was no wonder the prince was always so grumpy, he might know where his passion lies and how good he is at it but wasn't able to completely accomplish it. 

As the piano was being played that day, the guard decided to ask the prince about it. He also wondered what potential danger was the prince in as nothing happened as of yet. Yongguk didn't even know what to do if he was faced with danger either as he didn't have much experience in defense or offense. He just hoped such situations won't come to worst. His thoughts went further when he realised, they didn't even train him within the castle. He was just always following the prince, taking his orders, helping him with his schedule which was rarely ever had a change in them. How did they label him as a guard? Were they mocking him? Was he just a simple messenger boy? Before he could think further, there was a loud bang followed by a disarray of tunes, snapping Yongguk out of his train of thoughts, he looked around, suddenly alert but found no one except the prince and his tutor. 

Jongup had a strange expression, he looked dispirited and blue, his bottom lip peeking out. The tutor tutted and struck his baton on the piano a few times, warning him, a second gesture was made to make him restart his lesson. Yongguk might be mistaken but he was sure he just saw the prince side glance him before starting, but he didn't think much of it and decided to focus on the tune that was being played instead. It reeled his mind away from the troubling thoughts and he had a small smile on his face as he watched the other.

 

 

 

When the lessons were over and they started walking back to settle for dinner, the prince made an unfamiliar turn and went to visit his parent's room, asking the guard to stay out. Upon coming out, he started walking back to his room. When they booth entered, the prince sat on his victorian table and looked out at the evening sky, the beautiful navy blue skies lined with dark purple and a dust of orange and red signalled the ending of the day. They were both lost in it for a while when Yongguk asked the prince about dinner; the response he got made Yongguk worried. 

"We are having dinner in my room." The prince had answered and Yongguk didn't miss the pronoun, "we". What did the prince mean by that? He usually ate with his family in their kitchen while the prince in the dining hall where all the higher ups sat and ate. "What's wrong? Have a seat." Jongup urged the other, "You didn't need my permission the first day, what happened?" He had a smirk on his face as he spoke in a cheeky tone. It was abrasive. 

The door opened at that moment and the maid, Yongguk's very own sister entered with a trolley tray of food. He smiled widely at her as she noticed her brother, he looked at her then glimpsed at the prince a few times, trying to tell his sister he may stay longer, she nodded and smiled before setting up the table with food and drinks. As she left the room, Yongguk sat opposite the prince, looking at him.

Jongup turned to the other, gazing at him then sighing briefly as if he was disturbed, he spoke, "What were you thinking of in the piano class?" 

Yongguk, completely baffled at how the prince had figured it out when he himself had forgotten his thoughts, stiffened, "Nothing." He answered quickly. 

Jongup poured them both a glass of beer, he then took away both the plates and set them aside, leaving them both with only a bowl of rice which had garlic and honey chicken along with the small bowls for sides like kimchi, namul and jorim, "Let's eat."

The guard was perplexed to no extent, what was the prince doing?

Jongup took the chopsticks and picked a good amount of rice, chicken and some vegetables. He lifted it to Yongguk, who was astonished to the point he felt his face heat up again. "Eat up. This is how I eat." A small smile appeared on his face again and the guard felt his heart flutter. He wanted to smile but was so confused about the situation, his body couldn't decide what to do.

The prince moved the food away and sighed softly, he looked at the other with his cheeks resting upon his palms, "Why weren't you paying attention today during my piano lesson?" 

"I was..." The guard answered, slowly. 

"You weren't. I saw you. What were you thinking about?" 

"I feel as if you're the guard watching over me than me doing it for you. I don't know what you're talking about." The truth was, Yongguk wanted to ask but wanted time to ask carefully to avoid misunderstandings, so he tried to drag the situation. 

"You were... not... I saw... Why are you lying?" There was something odd in the prince's tone. It was thick and dripping with distress, his eyes glossy, alerting the other immediately who decided to tell the truth.

"Sire, am I truly your guard? Please don't mind my question but I can't bear to see you like this, I just want to know what is my purpose to you since all I seem to be doing is being your shadow." Yongguk spoke softly while looking into the other's eyes, trying to show his sincerity. 

Jongup was quiet for a while, then he looked away and answered, "I really don't know. I don't need a guard but my parents think there's something wrong with me since I am not really into their ballroom ceremonies of mingling with the rest of the world's kings and queens. I'm not into all these fancy banquets to find myself a woman or anything. It's simply too extravagant for me." 

The answer was too vague. This was surely not the only reason. 

"Look at me, Sire." The prince lifted his eyes towards the guard who moved closer, "You didn't like liars. You were about to cry just because I wasn't telling you the truth but then you are hiding things from me? I expected better."

As Yongguk had expected, it hit the prince really hard whose ears went red, eyes wavering away but he answered quickly, "It's true. It's not just me being anti-social, it also has to do with me trying to run away. I really hate this place. I feel trapped and I can't do what I want to do. I can't be friends with people I want to. I cannot ever follow my dreams and am forced to follow the dream of my parents, which is to be a damn king and participate in violence to take over another country or some bull like that."

The guard was in thought, brushing his hands through his hair, "So, you tried running away... But where would you go?"

"Anywhere! I just don't like being here."

Yongguk smiled, "You're very lucky, Jongup. Don't lose it and try to turn the events at your favor. Your dream is to be a pianist, right?"

Jongup beamed and the other smiled wider, "Yes! I love making music."

"How did you think you could pursue that if you were out in the streets, being dirt poor, forget the piano, where will you live? You need to be wise about your decisions. Try to talk to your parents about what you want. Tell them you don't want to partake in war."

"That's impossible... Who will take after me? My older brother is already a known criminal-" Jongup realising he said something he wasn't supposed to, slapped his mouth shut with his hands while his eyes widened.

Yongguk laughed out loud, the act was too cute despite the shocking revelation, he just couldn't help it as he reached out and cupped the other's face in his hands, looking at him with adoration. 

"It's okay. Speak to them. They will know how to make him look good again." He said seriously while looking into Jongup's eyes, who was quiet and blushing, he nodded, breaking the eye contact. Yongguk sat back, satisfied with the advice he gave. He wants nothing more than to see Jongup pursue his dreams and smile all the time like he does when he plays the piano by himself. It was a blissful sight to behold.

"How is your brother, though? Is he a really bad criminal?" The guard asked all of a sudden, concerned.

The prince was a bit hesitant before answering, as if snapping back to reality as his eyes flickered a few times, "Not really. He was rotten. The towns people had seen him in brothels all day, they saw how he didn't take responsibilities as the eldest and how he rejected any sort of nobility. A rebel, in short."

"Where is he now?" 

"He's in the reflecting chamber... They say he's being punished in many ways for his deeds..."

Yongguk shuddered at the thought itself. He didn't want to know more about it. "Did you meet him?"

"No one ever does."

The guard's eyes widened, "How long?"

"4 years"

"And none of you went to see if he has changed?" 

"...No..."

"Meet him. He has surely changed."

"How do you know?" 

"You'll know."

They both sat silently, the prince gulping down his beer. Yongguk trying to eat as the other had showed. It was quite delicious. 

"Yongguk."

The guard looked up, surprised as it was the first time the prince called him by name. 

"Yes?"

"Why do you think so well for me?"

"Because I had dreams to follow too... But, I am unable to with how poor I am. I don't have the resources like you do."

"What is your dream?"

"I wanted to be a writer or a poet..."

Jongup pulled his seat around the table so he was sitting next to and facing Yongguk. 

The guard was taken aback as the prince cupped his face like he had done previously, coming very close to Yongguk's face as he said, "follow your dreams too, then. I will help you with it."

It was the guard's turn now to blush deeply, his heart racing in his chest even faster since the prince didn't move away at all. His breath stopped as Jongup got closer, so close he could almost feel the tender lips of the other's on his, he shut his eyes as they both travelled into another world when their lips pressed together before molding.

Yongguk's hands lifted to hold the other's face, the only noise being their breaths from the short intervals in between the kisses. It was such a new feeling yet it came out so naturally, as if it had always remained in there somewhere, ready to be released. 

He pulled away as soon as he felt that the fire in the pit of his stomach was getting unbearable. He breathed heavily into the prince's shoulder, the shirt smelling like lavender and agarwood. The prince was holding on to the other's sleeves as he breathed too. 

"Wh-What did I do just now..." Yongguk heard Jongup saying in between gasps. He fell back into his chair and answered, "I really don't know... Why did you do it?" 

"It wasn't just me... You also did it back! It felt good, isn't it?" Jongup smirked as he looked from the other's eyes to his crotch, making the guard cross his legs and put his hands over it, all the while his face was burning in sheer embarrassment. "You! You're not at all what you show go sit in your place!" Yongguk shot playfully as he smiled and pushed the prince's chair away farther away from him. The prince laughed mischieviously, "But, I really never did this before. It felt good but I don't know why I did it." 

"Maybe it was the beer and I shall take my leave now. It's very late." 

"Goodnight, Yongguk." Jongup smiled, that darn innocent smile of his that makes his eyes turn into crescents and his bunny teeth shine brighter than the moon itself. Yongguk felt his stomach tumbling at the site and before he could lose it, he waved a quick goodbye and left the room, trying his best to fight the wide grin on his face.