New Beginning

The Royals

A certain peasant awoke in the early hours of the morning. 

He washed himself behind their small hut under the only source of water, a single faucet. Each hut in the village had one behind their houses too. The only facility their ty government can provide in the name of "improving infrastructure".

He truly hates them. Those selfish, rich bastards who sit on top and get handed everything on silver spoon. Yet they can't help the poor or even bother to give them food they throw out of their palace everyday. 

When he's done, he goes back to the house, everyone is asleep and his mother is slightly wheezing as she tries to breathe. He will do extra work today to get her medicine. He sighs, heartbroken, when will this pathetic way of living come to an end? He looks through their cabinet to find four pieces of bread and a small piece of butter. His sisters love butter so he left it and decides to eat just one piece of dry bread before heading out. 

 

The sun is still below the horizon but by the time he reaches the other village for his job, the sun is halfway up. The kind old farmer gets out of his house, greeting him, "Morning, Yongguk!" He smiles back as the farmer hands him a small shovel and straw satchel. The harvest isn't great. The potatoes are small and the tomatoes shrivel fast. He's done within a few hours and gets his wage before heading to the city. The city is filled with lazy fools who wake up around 9AM. Yet, he keeps walking into the city, watching the various shops. 

He stands in front of one particular shop, not daring to press his hands against the glass windows in desire to get a closer look at the suit he wishes he could buy. He then notices his own reflection, dark cicles, almost protruding cheek bones, skinny legs and arms, tall torso but with little flesh on them. His clothes, ragged and dirty a harsh reminder of how he lives. 

He steps away, walking towards the direction of the palace garden. He isn't allowed inside but he just watches to feel more hatred and curse the royals under his breath. 

But, today was different.

A few people- or should he say, monsters? Because those men didn't look human at all. They were tall with muscles he would compare to boulders. He stood there watching them when someone touched him on the shoulder, he turned to look at a tall, lanky boy. He smiled warmly at Yongguk who was dumbfounded, "Did you come here for an attempt to be by the prince's side?" 

'I'm sorry? I don't know..." Yongguk answered, confused.

"Ah, you must be new. I'm Junhong. I'm actually the King's couturier or in simple words, dressmaker." 

Yongguk gulped, he was under the King yet he greeted a man like him so nicely? Junhong dressed like a prince himself, his clothes were in perfect fittings and the frills were all in right places. His shoes were speckless. "I-I'm Yongguk..." He wanted to say that he takes petty jobs here and there but it sounded too pitiful.

"Yongguk, why don't you give it a try? You never know you may get selected." Junhong suggested, warmheartedly, and for a moment Yongguk believed him.

"But... These men are beasts! I'm an ant compared to them! They'll crush me if I'm made to face them." The shorter male argued and the taller boy laughed, "That's not how things work here. I know the King too well. I won't convince anyone else but your eyes are keen and my gut tells me the King will prefer you. Now, go on." The boy pushed Yongguk to stand in the queue, the buff men gave him a dirty look and laughed, he felt so emabarrassed and ashamed that he wanted to run away but Junhong kept him in place by the shoulders, "Their mind is just like their body, is it not? Just another useless muscle in their head." 

Yongguk stifled his laughter as the huge men glared at Junhong threateningly, one of them even taking a step forward with his fists clenched but they knew if they made a move, the taller male's statement will be proven right. 

The trumpet blew and the grand gates opened. A few soldiers came out, announcing that they will guide them in for evaluation. 

Junhong patted Yongguk's shoulder, "Think and act." He said before leaving the other's side. 

On the other hand, the shorter male was shaking, his feet felt like they will melt away any moment as he took shaky steps, his mouth dry and eyes boring into the floor. He hated the higher ups but after meeting Junhong his heart felt too guilty to lift his head up. 

They were taken to a large hall with chandeliers hanging from the top, they looked like diamonds under the sunlight, glistening so brightly.

There was a large table between the room, the largest he could have ever imagined with all kinds of various dishes on it.

He will never eat the food made out of taking money from the less fortunate. 

"Good morning, everyone! You all must be hungry from waiting so long outside, why don't you dig in? The King especially prepared this for all the brave people here." An official said who was standing at the end of the table. Everyone seated themselves on the grand table and filled both the sides, eating like animals. A disgusting sight to Yongguk's eyes who never moved from his standing position. 

An hour must have passed and he remained that way even when his stomach growled painfully in hunger. 

"Why don't you sit and eat, young man?" The official, who looked like a king's disciple stood next to him, the disciple didn't smile but his eyes were observant.

"I won't eat this." Yongguk didn't know what came over him, anger? Maybe he was hungry? Anger because of hunger? He didn't know. But, he looked straight into the male's eyes. "I won't eat it because it's from the money of the people who have barely anything to get by everyday!" He almost bellowed, making everyone turn their heads towards him. Great. Now he's going to end up in a dungeon for the rest of his life for speaking against them. Maybe they'll have mercy on him and kick him out of the city forever and he'll have to survive on nothing for days as the city gave better income. Or maybe th-

"You may follow me." The male said and his eyes which were wide and obervant, were now crescents as he smiled brightly, "You pass for this level. You can address me as Yoo." 

"What!?" Yongguk was very honestly, flabbergasted.

"Is that your name?" Yoo asked, laughing. 

"What? n-"

"Oh so your name is "What?"" Yoo laughed out loud this time as he lead an annoyed Yongguk through a door. This time there was a pond in front of them, the peasant rubbed his eyes to make sure he actually saw an indoor pond! Never had he ever imagined such thing to exist! He went closer and Yoo stopped him.

"Sorry for earlier. What is your name?" He asked politely this time with a genuine smile.

"Yongguk." He answered shortly.

"Yongguk, in this pond, there's a fish that can't be held by anyone. A fish that was caught with much difficulty from the help of top class swimmers. If you catch it, you will be appointed as the Prince's guard." 

"Why should I-" Before he could protest, Yoo had started pulling off his clothes, "Hey! Wait!" Yongguk tried to stop the quick male but he was before he could make a move. His cheeks were burning as Yoo kept a passive face but he didn't miss the faintest of smirk on his face. 

"Go off now. I'm right here cheering for you!" Yoo was full of energy, he seemed to be enjoying this too much and it really got on Yongguk's nerves. He stepped forward towards the  pond and noticed just one ordinary fish. He didn't want to pull it out and harm it. It was the only fish... He bit his lip, dipping his hand into the pond just to pat the creature softly. He smiled as the fish nibbled onto his fingers and swam around them. 

"Oh my days..." Yoo was standing beside him and Yongguk jumped a little as he hadn't noticed the other. "I have never seen anyone as affectionate as you. This is my pet clown fish and she can tell when danger is near and always slips away from their hands... But it's my first time witnessing it taking a liking to you. You are truly an admirable man." Yongguk blushed from the compliment and stood up to bow, "No, no, no! Please don't bow anymore as you are going to be the Prince's guard. Call me Youngjae from now on. Yoo is just for official use." Youngjae smiled brightly at the other and Yongguk smiled back. He really didn't expect to meet anyone nice in this palace. 

"Well, then. Before you meet our prince, we need to have you in your best look, yes?" 

 

 

 

 

 

This is all for first chapter! I want to hear your thoughts and opinions on my first chapter to see if I can continue and if you like the pace of the story! I can assure you one thing for sure- I won't disappoint you. So please let me know your thoughts!