To me it's true love.

An Arrow through My Heart

"Let's start!" SHINee's leader Onew grinned cheekily at the camera, signalling the beginning of the soothing ballad they are going to perform, Quasimodo.


It was 2 a.m., everyone of the SHINee boys were exhausted after a day packed with schedule and they had to finish the day with The Muzit recording. With any luck, it wouldn't take long to wrap up the recording once they are done with this song.

"Hey~ Oh~" Onew's beautiful falsetto flooded the sound system and kicked start the song. If anything, he was on fire tonight. He never missed a beat, his voice never cracked a note and he had pretty much single-handedly kept the mood light and enjoyable for everyone.

Just like a leader always does. Key thought to himself, as his lips curled up to form the tiniest of smiles.

To be perfectly honest, this song was kind of too personal for SHINee's diva, Key. Probably because he could relate to it so well, the pain of loving someone from afar.. When they had first received the song for recording, he was shocked. "Even if I can't have you for myself, because of the sad fate that blocks my yearning heart."  What is this?! The story of his life? 

He had been feeling this way towards their leader for the longest time, but it had always been ambiguous. Onew was of course, always nice to him, as he was to every single other person he met. Key didn't feel anything particularly special from him because of this. Sometimes though, he would catch Onew giving him sidelong glances, but after brooding over it all day, or ranting about it to Jonghyun, he would eventually write it off because he did not dare to even dream of his leader returning his feelings. How? He was perfect. He was an angel.

Key wanted Onew so much, but he also pushed him away. He acted cold towards the leader, even when he was being exceptionally cute and caring. Key tried to pull himself out of the quicksand that was quickly consuming his rationality with that facade, but it only made him long for Onew more when he saw the tiny disappointed glint in the other's eyes.  

"Your arrow that has pierced my heart, no-oh~ Has become a part of me..." Key sang his part with much emotion, resisting the urge to look to his right where his charismatic leader sat. So, he looked away, relishing in the pain that came thick and fast with the beats of the song.

Anybody who saw Key's expression over the camera would have thought he was too into the music, just as all the other SHINee boys were. But his expression was different.. It wasn't the same as Onew's, who was concentrated in hitting all the notes perfectly, trying to lose himself in the song, but not quite so. Taemin was obviously a little nervous trying to get the pitch and lyrics right, while Jonghyun lost himself in the music and his own voice.

Nobody would think any different about the look on Key's face, but Jonghyun knew better. He knew Key like the back of his hand. He didn't love Key like most of their fans thought, no. He didn't love Key the way Key loved Onew. But he was Key's confidante in the group when it came to matters of the heart. Most other issues will of course, go through Onew himself. They were Appa and Umma of the group, after all. So really, Jonghyun knew when Onew sang the lines "Because it's love. To me, it's true love," Key was wishing that maybe even for one second, the thought of himself would  cross Onew's mind.

Jonghyun himself didn't look too hyped up tonight, in contrast with Onew and Taemin who were grooving to every song. He was tired. Still, he was aware of Key's occasional ninja gaze in Onew's direction, and he felt the pain for his best friend.

"Because you are everything to me~" Jonghyun launched into his ad-lib perfectly, and this time there were no flat notes.

With every second further into the of the song, Key's heart wrenched more. He knew that he had already been stealing too many glances in the leader's direction tonight. He had to be more discreet to avoid blowing his cover, even though Onew seemed to be enjoying himself so much that there's no way he would have noticed. Still, Key forced his eyes to the other side for what's left of the song.

"It's not too hard~" Jonghyun finished the song.

After some dances (Key was so flustered that he messed up the steps to Love Like Oxygen. Very undiva-like, indeed.), they were finally in the car, heading back to their dorm. There was only about 3 hours of sleep left, but that had to count for something. 

Key found himself stuck at the backseat of the car with Onew. Once the recording ended, Jonghyun had walked ahead quickly, playing around with the maknae Taemin who was just too alive tonight, and of course they snatched the front seats of the car. So, it was just Key and Onew left behind. 

Key was exhausted, heartbroken and absolutely not in the mood for conversation. He felt like he was not up for anymore of Onew's hyperness for tonight. Thankfully, Onew also seemed equally worn out and kept quiet in his seat.

Must have been too high just now, pabo. Key shook his head slightly. But that was exactly what he loved most about their clumsy leader. Always giving his best despite being tired or injured, and going out of his way to make sure things went smoothly.

Key found Onew still singing the lyrics of Quasimodo softly, and his heart tightened again.

"Remember that I love you so much..."

Onew turned his eyes in Key's direction, and Key quickly snapped his gaze elsewhere, a faint pink creeping up his cheeks, embarrassed at being caught staring. Onew reached for Key's wrist and held it in a soft grasp, causing Key to turn to him again. At that moment when their eyes met, all that each saw in the other's eyes was nothing but bottomless love and longing. 

"Remember that I love you so much..." Onew repeated softly.

Key's mouth hang slightly agape, unable to comprehend what was happening in front of him. Mwo?? Is he saying he... ??? Key's mind raged. Is it true? This dream that he always prayed to happen, always imagined it happening... Was actually reality now.

As if reading Key's mind, Onew traced the letters "Y-E-S" on Key's arm with his index finger. 

Feeling like his heart was going to explode from happiness, but trying to contain it so his other members will not be suspicious, Key softly laid his head on Onew's chest and laced his fingers through that of his leader's and gave it a tight squeeze. His erratic heartbeat gradually slowed, and he felt himself slowly drifting off to dreamland in bliss..

A smile spread across his face when he felt an equally tight squeeze to his hand, a soft kiss in his hair.

----

A.N.: This was crossposted at Onkey.LJ some months ago. Since I just joined here like yesterday, I thought if I should transfer my fics over. Not sure if I would do the same to the rest though!