Interview Series - KAI & KRYSTAL

Our Short Conversations

 

 

If someone had told me that the day would come when I get to interview my ultimate OTP, together, I would have asked that person to check themselves in, because that was a crazy thought. Now, here I am, posting my very favorite interview EVER, of Kai and Krystal, or commonly called KAISTAL. When I first contacted their agency about it, they were reluctant, but Krystal told them that she loved working with me (A: Thanks to an interview I did with her, some two years ago), and they said yes! Thank you, Krystal! Here we go!

Photo credit: ItsKaistal 

                         

++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Hello! First of all, nice to meet you, Kai-ssi. Krystal-ssi, it’s so good to see you again!

 

Krystal: It’s good to see you too! It’s been a while!

Kai: It’s nice to meet you. I’ve heard some good things about you from Soojung, and Baekhyun Hyung. He loved working with you.

 

Oh, wow! That’s such an honor!— How are you guys, today?

 

K: I’m so excited to be back in these locals! I had a great time last time.

 

Kai: I’m feeling a bit nervous (Chuckle)

 

Why are you nervous?

 

Kai: This is very new. We’ve never done an interview together, and even more so as a couple. I feel like we need to be careful, because this is… new.

 

I understand, but trust me, your fans have been waiting for this interview for years. And I’m only here to show everyone how happy you are together, so just relax, be comfortable, and imagine that we’re just a bunch of friends talking. I’m a 94 liner too, so let’s imagine that we’re just a group friends here! (Laugh)

 

Kai: You’re a 94 liner?!

 

K: And you’re already editor in chief of a magazine this popular? Wow, that’s so cool!

 

Kai: I’m impressed.

 

Oh, wow! For you two to say that is such an honor! Suddenly I adore my job again! (Laugh) — I still can’t believe that I am interviewing my ultimate OTP. This doesn't seem real!

 

K: (Laugh) We’re not that special.

 

Of course you are! If you’ve read some of my articles, you must have realized that I am a huge supporter. I love you two, so much!

 

K: Thank you so much!

 

Kai: (Smile)

 

Enough of my fan-girling. Let’s get back to business! — Today we’re doing a special interview on love and its little secrets. We’ve chosen you and three other couples, as our ultimate couple goals of 2017. 

 

Kai: Ah… We’re thankful for that.

 

K: To be honest we are still wondering what we’re doing here, because there’s really nothing special about our relationship (Laugh)

 

Kai: Right! (Laugh)

 

You guys are the epitome of young love becoming a reality! You two have known each other for twelve years, but one day you just realized that your feelings were deeper than those of a simple friendship. You two are literally dating your best friends! This is the sweetest story ever, and look at you today! How do you feel about that?

 

K: I wouldn't say that we’re all that exceptional, but the reason why I think people consider us that way is because we’ve known each other for the longest time, and they knew that we were friends, so some were imagining us being more than just that. I think that’s why they feel like it’s so sweet and beautiful, and we’re so thankful for everyone’s support.

 

Kai: Exactly. I don’t think it’s about us really, but more about our history together. 

 

True. I was at a boring work party when I saw the news, and I just started jumping around, because I was SO happy to read that!— But you guys are so private that it’s hard to catch you on dates, and so on. 

 

K: That’s true. We’re private about our relationship because we don’t feel like everyone has to know what’s going on in it. Of course we see each other and spend time together, but we’re very careful about where we go.

 

Kai: Whenever we see each other we don't do anything over the top, or too crazy. We usually go eat, or just stay in and watch a movie. The simple fact that we’re together is enough for me, because we don’t get to do a lot together due to our busy schedules.

 

Krystal smiled and scrunched up her nose in a cute way.

 

K: Ah, so cheesy! 

 

Kai-ssi, for being a fan of EXO, I know how sentimental you are. You’re a very passionate person, and I was wondering if you were like that with Krystal-ssi too.

 

K: He is! He is very sweet.

 

Kai chuckled and playfully pinched her cheek. I kept smiling and looking at them with envious eyes.

 

How do you guys keep in touch when you’re away?

 

Kai: The phone, text messages or FaceTime usually. We also send each other small gifts whenever we can’t see each other for a long time.

 

K: He is the best when it comes to giving me presents. He knows I love eating, so it’s always something related to food! (Laugh)

 

That is so sweet! It’s nice of him to care about you so much! — I’m sure it wasn't easy to go through the first weeks after the reveal of your relationship, because let’s be honest, there are always haters.

 

They simply nodded their heads.

 

How was it, dealing with all of that, in the midst of the medias constant interest in your relationship?

 

K: I mean, it’s understandable that not everyone will like you, or your relationship, and we’re fine with that, but the hardest part for me was when people would blame Jongin because of some of the hate I got after the reveal, or when they would lash on my members when they literally have nothing to do with this. I deeply care for the people around me, because I don’t have that many of them, so I don’t like seeing them get pulled into things, when they didn't ask for it. I felt very apologetic towards my members.

 

Kai: There are definitely a lot of people I felt apologetic towards. First of, my family, because they started getting more attention just because I was revealed to be dating. Then Soojung, because we all know what it involves to date, as idols. I really hated the idea that she would close up again, because of some people. Then, last but definitely not least, my members… When I say that I think that the group was the more affected, it’s because we were all victims of false and unfounded rumors after that. I would have been fine if it was just me, but my members were drowned into it too, and it wasn't the best feeling.

 

K: Exactly. The people around us suffered from those malicious comments and rumors too. It really broke my heart when they accused him {Kai} of faking his injury. He was in a very bad place at that time, and they kept pushing him deeper and deeper. That’s the worst thing about social media, sometimes people on it think they’re just breaking your career by creating rumors, but sometimes they’re breaking you too.

 

Exactly. I get that not all fans were happy, but I always say one thing to my younger sister who is at the age that when your favorite artists date, you feel betrayed and you want to voice it. I always tell her to never forget that celebrities are also human beings, with feelings, fears, insecurities and uncertainties. It’s okay not to like something, but you don’t have to be mean towards anyone.

 

K: Totally! We love our fans so much, and the most important thing is that they know it. We’re there for them as much they are for us! If you love us unconditionally, we love you back the same, and no relationship will change that, ever!

 

Makes sense — How is everything going so far?

 

They looked at each other before replying.

 

Kai: Great. I’m really happy. EXO is doing well, she {Krystal} is happy, so I am happy.

 

K: I am happy too. Everything’s good. (Smile)

 

How did your respective members react to the news of you dating? They knew about it before the press articles, right?

 

K: Of course! I wouldn't even be able to hide this from my members, we’re too close. (Giggle). My members were extremely happy for me. They weren't all that surprised to know that it was Jongin, because from the four of us I’ve always been the most reserved one, and I am extremely awkward when meeting new people, so they knew that if I was to date it would be someone already close to me. Plus, anyone who was a bit close to us could tell that something was going on (Laugh). Jongin was not very subtle.

 

Kai: (Chuckle) I had to act fast!

 

Really? Why so?

 

Kai: You know how everyone says that Soojung is the female idol with the most admirers, well let me tell you that it’s not just a tale. She had so many people asking her out at the same time.

 

Wow! So it’s true! — Did you ask your members some advices about dating? 

 

Kai: All of my members were single when Soojung and I got together, so I really didn't have too many options. But they saw it coming even before me. I remember Sehun telling me that I would end up with Soojung one day.

 

Wow! He must have felt it, since you three trained together for years! — Now, this is a question everyone has been dying to know the answer to! You’ve mentioned that none of your members were dating when you guys started, but in late 2015, Sehun was revealed to be dating Apink’s Oh Hayoung for a year already, so does that mean that KAISTAL happened in 2014?

 

Kai gasped and Krystal playfully shoved him on the arm.

 

K: (Laugh) Ah, Jongin… Well, we weren't dating when everyone thought we were, but yes it happened sometime in 2014.

 

So, you guys have been dating for 3 years already! Wow! Now, this is a scoop!

 

Kai: (Laugh) I think almost everyone had guessed already!

 

Yes, but we needed a confirmation! I’m so happy to know that! So, you did the W.Korea photoshoot while being a couple?

 

K: Ah, yes.

 

Were your friends and family members happy for you?

 

K: My members were thrilled.

 

Kai: My members too. And my family adores Soojung. She instantly clicked with my sisters, and my mother keeps repeating how gorgeous she is. (Laugh)

 

K: My sister is Jongin fool! Every time they meet, she treats him like the sibling, and I’m left aside! (Laugh)

 

That is so sweet! — One of my colleagues interviewed her a few months ago, and she asked her if she had warned Kai-ssi to make her sister happy, and she was so cheeky about it.

 

Kai: (Laugh) She warned me well.

 

Kai-ssi, what do you like most about Krystal-ssi?

 

Kai: Ah… Well, to be honest I never now how to answer these types of questions, because there are so many things I love about her. — My favorite thing would probably be something that we have in common, and that’s the love we have for the people we care about. I would be able to do anything for my sisters and parents, and she has that same philosophy of life. I love that she is so humanly connected to people, and that she is so compassionate and loving. Yeah… (Shy laugh)

 

That is so beautiful! — Krystal-ssi?

 

K: I love how Jongin is so passionate about everything he does. He shows me such a humble example of a hard working person. He loves his job and his fans so much, that it is always moving to see him work hard to make everyone around him happy. Jongin has a heart of gold, and he is the nicest guy I know. I love that about him.

 

They were looking at each other as they spoke, and you could feel how sincere they were. The way they spoke, their body language, everything showed how much of a connection both of them have, with each other.

 

Alright! Now, we’re at the fun part of the interview. I’m going to be asking you a bunch of questions and you need to answer at the same time, after I count to three.

 

K: Is it like a compatibility test?

 

Kind of, but we’re not going to be telling you how compatible or not you are. (Laugh) Are you ready?

 

Kai: Yes.

 

Favorite color? 1, 2, 3!

 

K: Red!

Kai: Red!

 

Wow, really? It’s my favorite color too! — Anyway, favorite singer of the moment? 1, 2, 3!

 

Kai: The Weeknd!

K: Alessia Cara!

 

Chicken or Beef? 1, 2, 3!

 

K: Chicken!

Kai: Chicken!

 

Wine or Beer? 1, 2, 3!

 

K: Don’t really drink!

Kai: I don’t really drink!

 

They laughed together before turning back to me.

 

Seoul or New York? 1, 2, 3!

 

Kai: New York!

K: New York!

 

Really? Did she give you the traveling virus?

 

Kai: (Laugh) Kind of.

K: (Laugh) The traveling virus.

 

Favorite EXO song? 1, 2, 3!

 

K: Ah, that’s hard!

Kai: Babe, our song!

 

(Laugh) 1, 2, 3!

 

Kai: One & Only!

K: One & Only!

 

Favorite f(x) song? 1, 2, 3!

 

K: 4walls!

Kai: Electric shock!

 

Mine is Goodbye Summer! (Laugh) — Alright, we’ve reached the end of our interview. I had such a great time with you! I hope you enjoyed the interview and the photoshoot too!

 

K: Thank you so much for inviting me here again! I had fun!

Kai: Yes, I liked it! Thank you so much.

 

Thank you! EXO, fighting! f(x), fighting! KAISTAL, fighting!

 

Kai: Thank you!

K: See you soon!